Totally non-woodwork...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reactions to this routine are interesting. As a regular juggler and someone has a lot of juggling friends, both professional and hobbyists, I see the reaction of non-jugglers as completely different from that of jugglers.

Non-jugglers tend to find it amazing (as you all have) whilst jugglers tend to find it at best mildly amusing and at worst downright ridiculous. To me (and other jugglers) his style looks clunky, awkward and a little out of control. Of course, that's the style he's chosen and he obviously gets plenty of attention with it! The tricks he does are for the most part pretty basic and there's a hell of a lot of repetition.

I've obviously been spoilt by attending juggling events for the last 15 years all around Europe where I've seen performances and practice from people all round the world.

That's all. I just thought I'd give you a different perspective one it

Duncan

Sorry but I find Jugglers, mime artists and most magicians rather..

Well kinda...

Sorta...

Boring.

Skillful no doubt....

But...

Very...

Boring.

As someone who can't juggle, I think anyone who can has a marvelous talent / hand & eye co-ordination etc.

Fair play, for those readers that do it, he may seem a tad mundane / repetitive (DuncanH - comment taken on board - where did you learn?)

For those that don't like them, that's fine too (Studders - you've the right not to like them, no-one's arguing about that! :lol: )

I just thought it might raise a smile or two (Riley, XY, Brian, cheers for the comments!)

I'd love to post the "stripper / magician", but probably not allowed...

Mailman14":2blhjokt said:
Fair play, for those readers that do it, he may seem a tad mundane / repetitive (DuncanH - comment taken on board - where did you learn?)

I learnt from the printed instructions that came with the juggling balls that my dad was given one xmas. Once I had the basic 3 ball pattern I bought a book from the local juggling shop in Manchester and taught myself everything in it. It was during my student years so I had a lot of time :) I can now do 5 balls with a few tricks.
I've seen routines with up to 7 or maybe 9 objects but I still prefer a smooth, well choreographed 3 ball routine.

duncanh.
That is a very interesting view, as you can probably tell I fell into the WOW category.
I find interesting parallels between your post, with which I have no gripe, and my own feelings about folk who can look at a rough piece of furniture and admire it. (I am thinking of much imported furniture which seems to me to be short of several finishing stages.) Whereas the same folk can look at a piece of extremely well crafted furniture without recognising the skill required to achieve what they see.

I shall look at juggling with renewed interest and more open eyes after reading your post.

p.s. I suppose the bloke was playing to an audience who were, or could be, customers.

xy

Hi,

The camera work was terrible half the time you couldn't see the apogee of the balls, they disappeared off the screen and as per usual too many cuts to a different camera, do they think we will get bored?

Pete

PETE - That was the one thing I was miffed with myself TBH. I would have prefered a closer full view of what he did.

Back