Total n00b advice required for "simple" project.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disquatic

Reaction score
Hi.

First post because, aside from a bit of fencing and general outdoor stuff I haven't done any woodwork since school (30+ years ago)!

I'm looking at making a pretty simple (famous last words!) stand for my TV and related amps/players/etc. I have rough cut (+5cm) the parts needed in the attached plan from beams like the one in the other pic. The beam is 225mm wide by 100mm deep. I plan to mortice and tenon the legs into the tabletop for lateral strength. The shelves are 1cm toughened glass which I plan to just slide into routed channels.

Some tools I have/can borrow - electric plane, plunge router, drill, belt sander, orbital sander, carpenter square, chisels, general purpose saws...

Stuff I think I need - straight edge and G clamps to use as a guide for the router.

I am prepared to buy other stuff, if required, and if it isn't TOO expensive!

My thoughts/questions/musings -

As there is no bottom brace between the legs it seems to me it's vital that the cuts at the top of the legs (and of course, the bottom ones) are absolutely true so the legs are not skewed. Given I have limited tools, what is the best way to achieve this? Circular saws/mitre saws that handle 100mm wood seem VERY expensive!

I planned to join the beams along the long edges with dowels and glue. Is this enough? I figured if I used beefy enough dowels it would be fine... I found 16mm fluted dowel rods online, and if they were, say, 100mm long, would that do? Or should I use a broom handle!? :wink:

I don't want the mortice to go all the way through, what is the ideal depth given the size of wood... 60mm or so? I think the plunge router goes to 65mm.

Although the unit is technically "furniture", I'm not fussed about a few trivial flaws, in fact it would probably add a bit of rustic charm. As long as it's basically sound and true, that's the main goal!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

A.

Attachments

• tplan.jpg
    tplan.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 99
  • beam.jpg
    beam.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 99
Hello Disquatic and welcome.I'm no expert at this but in my opinion if the timber is cut to the lengths you need I would put them I'm a room where it cat acclimatise for a couple go weeks to minimise any movement.
You could run the router down the long edges go the top and legs with say a 6mm bit not right to the ends and glue a loose 6mm ply tongue. Two would be better and fairly deep.

If you are using a routed groove to house the glass shelves make sure you don't fit the glass to tight to allow for timber expansion.
I'm sure a more knowledgable member will be along soon to offer you some advice.

Hi,

Well the first thing is to stop thinking what power tools you need to do the job.
You could make the whole thing with a hand saw, plane, and a chisel.

Cut the pieces to length with the hand saw, plane them, cut a rebate in the top pieces for the legs, saw slots for the shelves and chisel out the waste.
That's a simplified procedure but it not far off what you will have to do.

Pete

Like Pete said.

You don't say if you have a bench or not - it will be easier if you have.

Actually, that makes me think that some of the advice on 'how to build a bench without a bench' could be useful to you - have a look at Paul Sellers on YouTube for just that, with a very basic kit of tools. What you have sketched is a little bench with some glass shelves.

Hey.

Thanks for the replies. I like the 2 plywood tongues method for securing the pieces together - much better (and easier) than dowels! I take it I would have each of these about one third in? Were you also suggesting this method for securing the legs to the top? Rather than a mortice and tenon? Certainly it would be easier, but would it be as strong? On this subject, is there a recommended glue that people swear by or are they all much of a muchness?

And very good point - about worrying about what power tools to use - I really do appreciate that this could all be done by hand, especially as it's not overly complicated! I guess I'm looking at minimising risk by using things that would tend to be more precise than my unpractised eye/hands.

I have a work surface in the garage - it's flat and big enough for this project. And indeed, this project really is just a small bench with a couple of slide-in shelves!

Thanks for the feedback,

A.

Back