Tormex

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For fair disclosure, I do not own a Tormex. I assume the water trough is there to wet the wheel thereby keeping the steel being ground cool. Other than that, I can't imagine what the water would be for.
The most important function of the water is to keep the wheel clean while in use. It carries away grinding wheel dust and metal particles. It also lubricates and cools as others have said.

I find it very easy to remove the tank and clean it out after every sharpening session.

The most important function of the water is to keep the wheel clean while in use. It carries away grinding wheel dust and metal particles. It also lubricates and cools as others have said.

I find it very easy to remove the tank and clean it out after every sharpening session.
Yep, a must for a water cooled grinder.

Lowering the water bath from the wheel takes two twists of a knob, it requires about as much effort as turning on a switch and certainly less than writing presumptuous comments. The water is for lubrication, as anyone who has used a Tormek will know that ain't ever going to spin fast enough to heat up. In the shops I've worked in it's been there primarily for when you need to regrind a primary bevel on a blade. It's accurate, repeatable and importantly square, you then take it to your stones or whatever system you are using and put a proper edge on it.

People moaning like its a redundant piece of machinery or gadget probably don't do this for a living and therefore don't realize how useful having it around is when time is actual money.

Lowering the water bath from the wheel takes two twists of a knob, it requires about as much effort as turning on a switch and certainly less than writing presumptuous comments. The water is for lubrication, as anyone who has used a Tormek will know that ain't ever going to spin fast enough to heat up. In the shops I've worked in it's been there primarily for when you need to regrind a primary bevel on a blade. It's accurate, repeatable and importantly square, you then take it to your stones or whatever system you are using and put a proper edge on it.

People moaning like its a redundant piece of machinery or gadget probably don't do this for a living and therefore don't realize how useful having it around is when time is actual money.
It's a slow speed grinder and it removes material slowly. Whatever features you think are attractive to a commercial shop, this isn't one.

Plenty of threads on forums bit*hing about how slow they are. Seemed like there was one on Fine Woodworking Knots that went on and on about it.

Anybody still in the thread who likes a high degree of gizmocity, and to complement their conspicuous consumption (this might help in the grinding turning tool thread too), should take a look at one of these. Several other products in their line as well -- see the drop down "product information" menu.

400 to 4,000 RPM on the basic bench grinder.

https://tradesmangrinder.com/tradesman-woodturner/

Last edited:
It's a slow speed grinder and it removes material slowly. Whatever features you think are attractive to a commercial shop, this isn't one.

Plenty of threads on forums bit*hing about how slow they are. Seemed like there was one on Fine Woodworking Knots that went on and on about it.

Anybody still in the thread who likes a high degree of gizmocity, and to complement their conspicuous consumption (this might help in the grinding turning tool thread too), should take a look at one of these. Several other products in their line as well -- see the drop down "product information" menu.

I suppose it's all down to the type of work you do. For me it's mainly plane irons and chisels.

I mainly use a diamond stone and/or 3m paper on float glass for refreshing an edge. But after a few refreshes it's quicker to get a new edge with the Tormek. Also good for taking out any small dings on the edge.

For me the accuracy, refinement and zero risk of overheating an edge out weigh the slightly longer grinding time.

Also great for kitchen knives.

Therese a lot of proffesional carvers who use tormeks. Water cooled grinding wheels are brilliant for grinding carving tools and knives free hand since you can use the flow of water to see that you follow the angle of the bevel. For most commercial shops here the time it takes to grind hand tools is completely insignificant, they use machines and CNC for all serious production.

Therese a lot of proffesional carvers who use tormeks. Water cooled grinding wheels are brilliant for grinding carving tools and knives free hand since you can use the flow of water to see that you follow the angle of the bevel. For most commercial shops here the time it takes to grind hand tools is completely insignificant, they use machines and CNC for all serious production.
Not against water as I've mentioned in earlier posts in the thread.

Yeah I mean if you want to grind excessive amounts of steel off your tools for no reason and can afford new ones every year then grind it off with a fast wheel. But like I said if you actually do this for a living you'll know that you can't afford to do this.

In the shop our turners use the fast grinders as it's sufficient and quick for their purposes. The cabinetmakers all use the tormek when they have to regrind a primary. The last 3 shops I've worked in have had Tormeks, go into any serious cabinetmaking workshop and you will find them.

The last 3 shops I've worked in have had Tormeks, go into any serious cabinetmaking workshop and you will find them.
I'd say you're overstating the ubiquity of Tormek grinders (or copies of that brand) to be found in "serious" furniture or joinery workshops. In my experience they're relatively rare. Some places do have them, of course, but certainly not all. Most of the places I've worked in had either high speed grinders of one sort or another, and quite a number had Viceroy grinders, the type with a horizontal running wheel with an oil reservoir/drip device. Slainte.

Yeah I mean if you want to grind excessive amounts of steel off your tools for no reason and can afford new ones every year then grind it off with a fast wheel. But like I said if you actually do this for a living you'll know that you can't afford to do this.

In the shop our turners use the fast grinders as it's sufficient and quick for their purposes. The cabinetmakers all use the tormek when they have to regrind a primary. The last 3 shops I've worked in have had Tormeks, go into any serious cabinetmaking workshop and you will find them.
Yeah, right.

Last edited:
I'd say you're overstating the ubiquity of Tormek grinders (or copies of that brand) to be found in "serious" furniture or joinery workshops. In my experience they're relatively rare. Some places do have them, of course, but certainly not all. Most of the places I've worked in had either high speed grinders of one sort or another, and quite a number had Viceroy grinders, the type with a horizontning wheel with an oil reservoir/drip device. laine.
This is my experience in the UK anyway. I didn't see any of them in Canada, can't comment on the states or elsewhere.

Back