Tormek vs Veritas MkII Power Sharpening System

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick W":1m4wdglv said:
Ian,
However the Veritas MkII(and it took me a while to realise that you weren't talking about the honing jig)

Too many veritas MK11’s.

Scrit….I’m not condemning the Tormek and apologies if it comes over this way, I have used one for last 5 years but i still have trouble with square ended tools and blades. I’m reluctant to get rid of it because I have spent a lot of money on all the jigs. I couldn’t overcome its shortcomings so I got the veritas power sharpener.
As I said earlier, I get really agitated if I cant get something right and I couldn’t with the Tormek. I tried using squares etc but I couldn’t get consistency. I got new bushes, new rail etc but I could still grind a blade off square without knowing until it was too late…this for me is unacceptable and time consuming. Other people are more forgiving and will manage the situation to an acceptable level.

I pay Karl good money for his blades…I don’t want their life shortened because my sharpener cant do them square every time.

I do like the Tormek for certain things and now I have the new cnc mill I will probably make something that will give me more consistency.

Yes I agree with you on fingernail gouges etc but these don’t have square ends to mess up, I also prefer to leave a slight hook on my turning tools hence I now use the oneway wolverine system for these, I was also shown at my turning course that regular visits to the grinder was more advantageous. I found the Tormek too slow for this. Even going around turning exhibitions I rarely see Tormeks being used by the professionals

But different teachers have different ways of showing pupils, there are many ways of sharpening with none being wrong.

At the end of the day it is how the wood fails.

The title of the subject was Tormek vs Veritas Power sharpener…I just happen to own both systems albeit I have only had the latter for a few weeks but my first impressions are its more suitable to my needs, I have mentioned a few Tormek shortcomings and I will probably mention a few on the veritas once I have had more time on it. time will tell.

Please …I don’t want this to turn into a war of words….i’m still off the cigarettes and will still argue with myself…even Mrs D keeps clear…hope this fiery temper eventually subsides.

I

ian, we have put away our flak jackets, now we know the truth,
it's the ciggies that done it governor :twisted:

i think it is important that we all appreciate that sharpening is
like the curate's egg, good in parts.

from the diversity of things available, everyone has a better way
of doing it. in the outback i think it is as much to do with not being
able to get things quickly, and they have a history of adapting tools
for their own benefit.

here in the uk, along with our american cousins, we tend to have
too much choice, and want everything at a hurry.

it is a real b*****r when you start or re-start woodworking to
discover that you have to spend bundles of extra money if you
use hand tools, to get them sharp enough to use. then you find
every body has a different route to sharpness, and the confusion
reigns.

i started with water stones, but found it a long term process,
was lucky enough to be able to afford a tormek, and found it
works for me, but then i found that i could improve the edge,
by using either water stones or Horror :twisted: an oil stone,
so now i use a combination of things. none are completely perfect,
and i am sure that even those happy at the beginning with the veritas
may well find it does not answer all the questions all the time.

i think we have to agree again that we all have different needs
from sharpening, and there is no one answer, but getting
entrenched in our views will stop us actually enjoying cutting
wood and making things.

paul :wink:

Paul,
6 months off the fags…..4 fights…nearly divorced….arrested twice…..road rage like I’ve never had before….and I’ve fallen out with everyone that’s close to me, Engerland has it all coming when the ban comes in. I am just learning how not to be so confrontational.

Yes I agree with you that neither the Tormek, or the Veritas is the complete system they just make the path easier to get too.
Most forums have their arguments for sharpening so I’ll keep out before I get into trouble

wuuusssaaaaa

I

Paul

I am willing to bet money that the moment you believe that you have found sharpening Nirvana you will discover Something Better. :p

I find it amazing just how many methods there are, just how passionate everyone gets about this topic, and especially how much debate will rage each time it is raised.

Just to toss another machine into the ring, more for interest than anything, who has experience of the Scangrind? This is about the same price as a Tormek (to my utter surprise since it is not its equal). I bought one at a garage sale about two years ago for about 15 quid. This is what it looked like:

Scangrind2.jpg

I added a Tormek-like rest (drawer pull, as per my belt sander):

toolrest.jpg

It runs at the same speed as a Tormek, is also a wet grinder, has much the same grit wheel as the Tormek which is also regradable, but has the advantage of forward and reverse movement.

My experience with it is the same as Ian finds with his Tormek.

For a change of pace ... I also have a hand grinder. Another failure. It will spin so fast that I can burn blades almost as easily as on my powered bench grinder. Holding the blade with the left hand while I crank with my right does not permit a lot of control...

Any other alternatives to the Tormek and Veritas?

Regards from Perth

Derek

One of the things I have noticed with my MKII is with wide blades there seems to be more material removed on one side than the other. I test this by taking it over to something that is known to be flat and make a few swipes. In A2 it can be quite bear to get it straightened back out. I have been using it only for flattening because of this. For thinner (2" or less I would guess) its fine, or at least not noticeable.

Another complaint I have is that the bevel depends on the platter height. One of my platters I have has 2 grades of the zirconia abrasive. Well these are thicker than the other abrasives. I have 2 of the 4mm platters which I was gonna use for the rough work, but if you have one with just the zirconias and the other with the thinner stuff then you will different angles.

I have been thinking about buying a variable motor controller so that I can slow it down and then run my MKII honing guide directly on top of the platters.

Ian Dalziel":25be9qmy said:
Please …I don’t want this to turn into a war of words….i’m still off the cigarettes and will still argue with myself…even Mrs D keeps clear…hope this fiery temper eventually subsides.

Heh, I did it about 3 years ago. Sure glad the g/f was understanding. It does subside and you will notice the cleaner breathing (though it takes quite a while for the lungs to repair and in the interval coughing can actually increase).

I have both, well sort of. I have the new Jet machine not the Tormek. I like both but they both have their faults. I find it curious that some people think the Tormek is too messy. My Jet is the least messy sharpening system I use (Jet, LV MKII, and water stones). One of the things I like least about the MKII is the mess. It puts fine metal shavings all over the place, including in the air which ends up in my lungs. I know that because after I'm done using it, for the rest of the day when I blow my nose I can see the black stuff on the hankie, not good. I also have a problem getting a square edge. The outside of the platter is moving faster that the inside and thus cuts faster causing an uneven grind. I know you can run the blade partially off the platter to even out the wear and some people suggest alternating your sharpening on both sides of the platter to even out the wear but I've yet to be able to get it just right. Anyway just my thoughts.

Back