Tormek T-7 Bench Grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malboro

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am looking into purchasing one of these for all my sharpening needs. I have looked at a ton of youtube videos and seems ones of the easiest sharpening systems. I don't do it a lot. but figured I should always buy good quality so it will last me years!

Anyone have any feedback on this? Or suggestions on where I can purchase one! Thanks.

Don't know where you can purchase it, but as the lucky owner of one, i'd say it's a great machine if you don't take a particular interest in sharpening.
It makes my chisels and plane blades sharp, which is what i want, and it does it effectively and repeatedly.

I'm very happy with mine!

It's a joy now, to get things to sharpen, not a chore :)

Russell":3rv8m797 said:
Malboro

where abouts are you

I am from London, but willing to go anywhere in the South Coast or order online.

I've had a Tormek for around 10 years now and it's a great piece of kit. The primary use though, is to re-grind the primary bevel on chisels and plane irons (as well as doing lots of other grindery stuff on other tools)
It's not a complete sharpening system, so you'll need some other way of honing the secondary bevel...waterstones, diamond, scary sharp etc etc - Rob

woodbloke":1defnxna said:
It's not a complete sharpening system, so you'll need some other way of honing the secondary bevel...waterstones, diamond, scary sharp etc etc - Rob

This is what I've realised, to have a complete system you really need a stone and a jig of some sort.

It is great thou, it gets you a long way down the sharpening path easily.

Are Tormek still doing free grindstones for life and 7 year warranty, or was that just an Axminster offer when the new model was introduced?

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":3iuq54yl said:
Are Tormek still doing free grindstones for life and 7 year warranty, or was that just an Axminster offer when the new model was introduced?

Cheers

Mike

It comes with a 7 Year warranty. Didn't buy it from Axminster though (Too expensive) doubt it had free grindstones for life now though now.

I've had a Tormek for a few years now and they are really well made.
The replacement stones are quite expensive but I tend to re-hone rather than regrind so the stone should last me a long time?
I did buy the new water tank at Yandles which should help retain the water in the right place?

For tool making and heavy grinding I use a Norton 3x stone on a cheapo Clarke grinder - really fast remover of metal!

Rod

Malboro":2ib9c1jh said:
Mike.C":2ib9c1jh said:

Cheers

Mike

It comes with a 7 Year warranty. Didn't buy it from Axminster though (Too expensive) doubt it had free grindstones for life now though now.

Oh well, at least it still has a good warranty. Not that I think you will need it :wink:

Cheers

Mike

Why not try dm tools in twickenham - www.dmtools.co.uk - tormek a first class sharpening systme, but also like the robert sorby pro-edge - be interesting to know if anyone has tried the both, and what they think of them - like to sorby for woodwork chisels and turning/carving chisels - only downfall I see so far, is you have to go back to the tormek for planner blades etc, as their jig is first class - have fun, stan

Back