Tormek 1206...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exigetastic

Established Member
Reaction score
What would be the downsides to getting the 1206 vs the 2006?

From what I understand it isn't continuosly rated, but as a DIYer, it's not like it would get used continuosly.

I'm looking at the kit from Rutlands, which if i understand it correctly is enough to sharpen chisels / plane irons.

Any thoughts ?

Si

I've got the 2006, and appreciate the larger diameter - but is it worth the price premium? I can't comment as I've not tried the smaller type. I do find it does an excellent job of all my sharpening needs (I'm not in the more-hours-sharpening-than-making club). I appreciate their is ways to get even better results (waterstones), but I like a powered solution.

Adam

Si,
while along with Adam I have the 2006, the 1206 is an 8" wheel as opposed to 10" , and I believe the 1206 is rated to run 30mins/hour where as the 2006 is rated to be continous use, however you would need to be doing a lot of sharpening to have to use it continously..

I have the 1206 and think it is great. It does all my hobby needs. My dilemma would be whether to go for it or look at the Jet or Scheppach offerings. All accept the Tormek range of jigs. Whichever you choose I suspect will be more than good enough.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm with Adam on the more making less sharpening school of thinking. In fact 95% of the stuff I make is low accuracy big garden stuff... It's when I have to do something more delicate and I have no sharp hand tools I get frustrated. Having no formal training I missed the bit about sharpening stuff, so my attempts with scary sharp = scary blunt :D

I see it this way if I can get passable (repeatable) results with a relatively small outlay, for me that leaves more time to build things.

I suppose the thing I don't understand is the benefit of the 10" wheel over the 8" one.

Si

exigetastic":3ogxos56 said:
I suppose the thing I don't understand is the benefit of the 10" wheel over the 8" one.

Hi Si,

I suppose the benfits are that a 10" stone will give a shallower hollow grind, meaning more metal is left on the tool. Also, It will grind quicker as it has a bigger circumference.

Ofcourse, the stone will wear, and it will eventualy become 8" as it is continuously redressed.

Have you looked at the Jet? Strangely, it seems to have increased in price since I bought it. I think I got it for about £160. All of the Tormek accesories fit it and it has a couple of features that the Tormek doesn't. The speed can be increased, which compensates for stone wear, and can also be used for quick grinding. I haven't seen the new Tormeks though, and they may well have this feature now. I find it great for all my sharpening needs.

Edit. Just noticed the 10" stone is wider than the 8". Only by 10mm though!

Slim":3csx0j29 said:
Edit. Just noticed the 10" stone is wider than the 8". Only by 10mm though!

That can make a difference when you are sharpening plane blades.

Adam

Exigetastic.
I have the green metal one (2000 series) and have used it happily for a number of years. I was recently over at my friends place and he has the smaller blue plastic job. I took over my Tormek diamond dresser as I like to keep my stones in the best condition.
When I used the dresser the whole machine juddered and chattered. The only way I could make it work at all was taking a lot of very fine dressings, dampening the inclination to chatter with my hands to bring the wheel to back to usefulness. This can only be that the toolrest/bar is mounted on the plastic box as I have never had a problem. The wheel size is less relevant as mine will soon be worn to the smaller diameter; when I will give it to my frugal friend.
Sharpening planer knives took a lot longer than ½ hour so there were lots of stops for mugs of tea to avoid overworking the motor.
I seems to me Tormek designed the metal one to do the job (green) and then they reduces the specification to bring down the cost (blue).
Like everything else, you do get what you pay for. I am glad I held out until I could afford the metal bodied machine. My friend will always be seduced by a cheaper price tag; it comes down to your own priorities.
Jon.

Unless I am mistaken the 1207 blue machine will not take the planer blade jig so if you want to sharpen planer blades then you need the 2007 green machine.

Andrew

Hi I work for the importer of Tormek. I would like to reiterate the above as the 1206 is not suitable for electric planer blades. The 2006 or T-7 are perfect as they have a wider stone/good motors giving greater grinding performance on this high quality of steel. Please PM me if you need any further information.

Martin

Going by the discussions on here the new square edge jig will be a must have if newbies to this system want to get good results straight away. Diamond truing tool also is a must have in order to keep stone square and cutting quickly.
If all above is true, this will bring the cost of the 2006 to the same price as the t7 minus all the many befits.

So the chose for me and others on here considering one of these is between 1206 and the T7.

Model 10” T7
Machine £269.95 £339.95
new square jig £29.95 included
diamond truing tool £36.95 included
total price £336.85 £339.95
All prices based on rutlands (stone grader included in machine price)

I have an older Tormek(,the smaller one) and a newer Jet version ,i prefer the Jet version(cheaper and came with more included accessories),and all the jigs are interchangable.

Back