Top tips for boxing in some pipes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morfa

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got some pipes that I'd like to box in. I've done a bit of it in the past, so I know what to do, put battens on the wall, build a frame and screw wood, plasterboard etc to the frame. However I never seem to get neat corners when joining the two pieces of wood. The pipes are in my kitchen next to the sink, so using MDF is out. Plasterboard maybe? But I was really thinking that plywood would be the way to go, but that won't loook amazing as you'll see the edges. Any other suggestions? Tips?

Here's a pic of the pipes which need to be boxed up.

pipes.jpg

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 128
18mm MRMDF, make a box with three sides to fit over the pipes, scribe the back two edges into the wall. Screw some battens to the wall then fix the box to those.

I hadn't thought of MRMDF or for that matter lipping the ply. I think that MRMDF might be the way to go and then I'll probably have to paint it. I don't really like painting at all, but I might have to bite that bullet. Thanks to all for the good suggestions.

I'd just fix two battens to the wall, same depth as the pipes, plasterboard over the face then tape both corners. Decorate the same as the rest of the walls and you'll never know its there.

Shug

Back