Top 10 tools for house rennovation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
We are currently drawing up plans for altering the layout of the ground floor of our house. This will involve:
adding/removing partition walls,
moving a bathroom,
moving numerous radiators,
installing a wood burning stove,
fitting a velux window,
laying a solid wooden floor,
making a kitchen island unit,
making a solid external door and an internal door (these are not standard size openings hence making rather than buying).

Now I have done plenty of DIY before and have a fair few tools (circular saw (not plunge saw), jigsaw, drills, hammers, bolsters some plumbing bits and bobs etc) and my workshop has a table saw, bandsaw and planer/thicknesser. Even having this collection I always seem to say half way through a job "If only I had tool x I could have finished this by now". Now, SWIMBO being in a particularly good mood last night said "what tools do you think you will need to get to do all this work?" and I countered with "I don't know, I haven't thought about it but we should get the right tools for the job or we will just be wasting time. Right? :wink: "

So given I sort of have permission to buy some toys what are the top 10 ten tools that make this kind of work easier?!

H.

Maybe:

Good clamps - for doors, island units
Block plane - chamfering edges of above
Router - depending upon design (mouldings, housing joints etc)
Sliding/Gliding compound mitre saw - as it looks like you'll have lots of cross cutting to do
Crow bars - small (nail pulling/levering) and medium
Pipe bender (if copper pipe)
Gas torch (soldering pipe)

Kettle, mug, endless supply of tea-bags.

Otherwise, keep it simple. A few really good quality handtools, corded hammer drill, battery drill, maybe a decent circular saw and jigsaw, couple of sawhorses or trestles, workmate, stepladders.. Anything you'll only use once or twice, it's probably better to hire or borrow a really good one for the job - buying a cheapo version will almost certainly result in frustration.

Thanks guys :D

So far I think a good battery drill/driver and a multi-tool would be good. Is a fein really necessary for a DIY person. Are the Bosch or Makita equivalents any good?

I have a Ni-Cd Bosch driver at the moment but it is rubbish in that it now only lasts 30 - 40 mins, doesn't hold its charge and takes about 3 h to charge. Therefore I have been thinking of getting into one of the branded 18V Li-ion sets for these kind of tools (ie one set of batteries across multiple tools) is any brand better than another (ie Makita vs Bosch vs Dewalt especially with respect to drivers and multi-tools?

I've come to the conclusion that battery drills and other cordless power tools are only worth buying if you use them A LOT. I base this on my experience with a nice little 9V Makita drill-driver I bought about 10 years ago for near enough £100. It was a super little thing, and very useful, but after about five years, the batteries died, and replacements were going to cost £50 or so (cheapest I could find). I didn't think the amount of use it then got justified this.

Nowadays, I use a couple of hand-drills, a brace and a handful of assorted bits, mostly Ebay, total cost less than £100. That handful will see me out. I used the brace for all the holes (1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" - about 200 of them) when replacing the back fence a few weeks ago, and didn't notice the lack of a power drill. It saved a lot of hassle rigging extension leads, for one thing. I'd use a corded power drill for masonry, but anything woody is by hand nowadays.

I think for a tradesman or for someone with a big project upcoming (such as the one you're contemplating), a good battery drill/driver is well worth it, in your case as a one-off project cost. However, as a tool for occasional household and workshop use, I wouldn't bother - unless battery life and reliability has improved substantially in the last decade.

OK, guys - I know this is likely to be controversial, but I just don't think cordless power tools are worth the first and ongoing battery replacement costs for occasional use only.

Halo Jones":3lpho8y5 said:
Thanks guys :D

So far I think a good battery drill/driver and a multi-tool would be good. Is a fein really necessary for a DIY person. Are the Bosch or Makita equivalents any good?

I recently replaced my old and tired Fein Multimaster with a Makita and I'm very happy with it, especially the non-proprietary blade fittings. Drills are a bit more personal and we all have our preferences/favourites; ideally, I'd suggest you find a local tool shop that has stock you can actually hold, but appreciate these may be few and far between.

One area I would suggest you spend money on if you're planning to pull down walls, move bathrooms etc.. etc.. is a decent pair of work trousers with built-in knee pads (TuffStuff are a good price/performance), safety boots, goggles, hearing protection (3M Peltor III), a decent facemask, and a couple of pairs of puncture-reststant gripper gloves (e.g. Sumo X5). Add a hard hat & a check shirt if you want the full-on bob the Builder look ;)

Seriously, it may not be as sexy as new power tools, but personal protection is important.

HTH Pete

Hi Halo
I am about ¾ through a similar renovation project and have taken the opportunity to increase my tool inventory same as you. I won't bore you with a full list but the 3 tools that I have been most glad to have bought are:

Multi tool - invaluable for cutting in confined spaces when taking apart old fitted furniture, old copper pipes, trimming door stops for new flooring etc etc
SDS drill with suitable bits for clearing tiles, chasing wires into walls, drilling holes through walls etc
Decent vacuum which allows you to plug in sanders, routers, saws etc and therefore switches on the suction when the tool is in use - makes for a much cleaner environment when working in the confines of the home.

Best of luck with the project

Cheers, Tom

Definitely the multi-tool - you don't know how you managed without it once you have one. If you are quick, Lidl were doing their version for about £30 last weekend, and their blade kits are even cheaper than Saxton. Probably won't last as long, but they tend to get abused (well, mine do :( ) so well worth the gamble.

Thanks again for all the comments.

I feel I should point out we have £1000 for all the paper work, engineers reports etc and then £400 a month until it is finished. No loans allowed! Over the last year we have bought a new shower room for £100 off various ebays and sourced 60 sq m of maple and iroko flooring for £10 / sqm. We are doing this on as tight a budget as possible, but as I am doing all the work I think I may be the limiting factor #-o

multi-tool: Lidl were doing their version for about £30 last weekend

So you can buy a £30 or £300 pound version. Considering I am not trade but do all my own DIY which do I want to invest in? - the £100 bosch or makita seem the middle ground?

so open cheque book for tools eh.........you're gunna need a domino then :)

As a hobbyist I actually like cutting mortices. I'd rather have a TS55 :p

Is SDS a heavier version of the corded "hammer" drill I already have? My drill can take and use masonry drills but I doubt it would take a cold chisel and I do have at least one channel I know I have to chase......

One area I would suggest you spend money on if you're planning to pull down walls, move bathrooms etc.. etc.. is a decent pair of work trousers with built-in knee pads (TuffStuff are a good price/performance), safety boots, goggles, hearing protection (3M Peltor III), a decent facemask, and a couple of pairs of puncture-reststant gripper gloves (e.g. Sumo X5). Add a hard hat & a check shirt if you want the full-on bob the Builder look ;)

I have all the PPE from my uni days when I spent long holidays grafting in a factory that made large cable reels. Some still even fits me :shock: . My kids love Bob so I would be a hero (homer)

I have added a decent wire stripper and a fish rod thingy for chasing all the wires to the list (I'm not connecting wires but doing everything else).

So. My list. So far.....

Makita 18v driver with Li-ion batteries,
Makita multi-tool,
Makita 9" grinder for..... something :D
new spirit levels
new plum bob
wire strippers
bolster and cold chisels
new door building book (just bought the Lost art press mini book on doors and windows. Very good so far)
knee pads for work trousers - (I don't need them now but I am looking at my dad and think I'm better having them now than worrying about it when I cannot walk properly).
gloves - I hate working with gloves but my hands hate me afterwards.
will need some acro-props but they come up all the time on gumtree
will also need a plasterboard lift (also gumtree - 3 this week in my area!) for ceilings cos I'm not as strong or stupid as my dad!
Some extra clamps. Don't know if I could ever justify Bessey but maybe some of Rutlands Dakota clamps?
Could I justify a proper dust extraction for the workshop rather than the chip extractor and Wickes hoover I have now?

Also I have 6 sq m of iroko blocks to strip tar off. What do I want to do that? - a decent multi tool maybe?!? #-o

OK. that is at least one months budget..... Time to put my feet up :lol: and do some drawings for building control :evil:

H.

I have been using the smaller version of this for years, it is an essential bit of kit if you are going to be taking stuff apart. http://www.axminster.co.uk/japanese-reform-bar

200522_xl.jpg

Attachments

• 200522_xl.jpg
    200522_xl.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 56
I wouldn't buy a multi-tool until you come to the point where you actually need one, I work full time for a landlord doing property renovations and I could count the number of times ive used mine on one hand. Even then there's always other tools that would do the same job.
I would get,

Decent crow bar and a smaller nail bar
A couple of decent hardpoint handsaws (irwin jack, s and j predator etc).
Claw hammer.
Tape measure
An sds drill
A good cordless drill
Lump hammer, scutch chisel and bolster if your going to be doing any masonary work
A track saw if you're going to be cutting a lot of sheet goods, if not male a guide for a circular saw n get a decent blade.
A sliding mitre saw and stand if youve got a few skirtings/ architraves to do
that's about it as a general kit.

I would say to buy good quality kit as if you do decide to sell them omce finished you'll get a much higher resale price on better quality tools.

If you are planning to make your doors by hand (which could be quite rewarding) you need some sort of solid bench, a plough plane and mortice chisel. I assume you already have bench planes and saws, measuring rule, square, knife.

You can improvise sash clamp equivalents with scrap boards and folding wedges.

When we ripped out and replaced our bathroom I bought some cheap and nasty chisels from Screwfix so I didn't need to abuse good ones.

A decent vacuum cleaner is essential - plaster dust will wreck an ordinary domestic one.

Halo Jones":1yq93lxv said:
So you can buy a £30 or £300 pound version. Considering I am not trade but do all my own DIY which do I want to invest in? - the £100 bosch or makita seem the middle ground?
The pricier Feins have a proprietary 'Quick-in' blade fitting, so you can't use third-party blades - and you will go through a lot of blades on reno / refurb work. That's one of the reasons I went for the Makita - I'm sure I would have been equally happy with the Bosch, but the Makita was a bit cheaper.

Is SDS a heavier version of the corded "hammer" drill I already have? My drill can take and use masonry drills but I doubt it would take a cold chisel and I do have at least one channel I know I have to chase......
Basically, yes. It has a different chuck (slotted) from normal drills, and SDS drills usually have a 'rotary stop' function, so you can use them for chiselling, chasing out masonry, removing tiles etc.. etc.. I bought a cheap 'disposable' one from B&Q ~15 years ago for 30 quid; it was so good I bought another as a spare, and I'm only just using the spare now.

I'm sure we all like using decent quality tools, but there is a place for cheap stuff, too.

HTH Pete

Looks like a good list, i'm done similar recently and two tools I couldn't live without are my Makita impact driver and festool midi vac, fitting the woodburner was a very dusty job!! (hammer)

Back