Toolstation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Random illogical ( unless I am missing something ? ) posts made just so google will pick up your sig line link are a bit lame.

We have had one recently open along with a Wickes store in my town. They sited the store directtly opposite Screwfix which I used to use a lot. Screwfix I have found have begun to raise their prices making them no more economical as anywhere else. I have used the Toolstation store ever since. Good value on many items and as mentioned a friendly face to boot.

David

I think you will find that Travis Perkins own both Wickes and Toolstaion, which is why they are opening Toolstation counters in some Wickes stores. :)

scrimper":3w1flt4e said:
I think you will find that Travis Perkins own both Wickes and Toolstaion, which is why they are opening Toolstation counters in some Wickes stores. :)
Very true. This is from wiki.

Toolstation was formed in 2003 by Mark Goddard-Watts four years after the Goddard-Watts family had sold Screwfix in 1999 to the Kingfisher plc group.

On Monday 7 April 2008, it was announced that Travis Perkins plc had bought a 30% share in Toolstation. Travis Perkins invested in Toolstation and supported an accelerated roll-out of new branches. The Toolstation property portfolio grew from 12 to 123 stores by the end of 2012.

On Tuesday 3 January 2012, Mark Gooddard-Watts and his family sold their remaining 70% stake in the business to Travis Perkins plc, making Toolstation a wholly owned subsidiary of Travis Perkins plc.

Thanks Carl, now you mention it the manager of Newcastle Toolstation branch did tell me that there was talk of opening Toolstation counters inside some Wickes stores as they now owned Toolstation.

If Mark Godard-Watts opens another chain of tool shops I will be buying shares, it would seam he has a good head for business.

Baldhead

I really like Toolstation and wish they were as abundant as Screwfix.
I'm yet to find an item I want cheaper in Screwfix than Toolstation.

I know some of the stuff they sell is cheap and nasty but sometimes that's all you need.
It only needs to last for 1 job and when you pay pence for it, it doesn't matter.

Baldhead":2h9n4fhm said:
If Mark Godard-Watts opens another chain of tool shops I will be buying shares, it would seam he has a good head for business.
Baldhead

I suspect his good head for business has told him that there isn't really room for a third player in that market.
Hopefully he'll branch out into something slightly different, maybe a more upmarket MachineMart, or a chain of user-friendly timber yards.

When mr watts sold screwfix he gave a dose of money to both his sons , one started toolstation , the other started silver line . One lives near me , can't remember which one. , but a lot of people regarding him as arrogant. , even has a life size F2 car on his wall in the house , yet when screwfix opened up it was in a little shop in yeovil , one Man band with real business sense and good customer relations , my father used to supply him all those years ago and he built it up sold it and it has gone down hill

I use ten begrudgingly , but on the bonus side I have the director of kingfisher living in his manor house over the road from me , admittedly , it is his weekend pad , one of 6 . Turns out he wanted to buy woolworths too but got vetoed .

Sorry to highjack this thread but can somebody recommend a decent air gun that will fire up to 50mm nails/brads. I have a good compressor but no nothing about air guns.

Thanks

Graham

Any of the major brands will be the same, just like a lot of the machinery.

So anything from makita/senco/ bostitch will all be fine. :)

Bluekingfisher":2tk626xc said:
We have had one recently open along with a Wickes store in my town. They sited the store directtly opposite Screwfix which I used to use a lot. Screwfix I have found have begun to raise their prices making them no more economical as anywhere else. I have used the Toolstation store ever since. Good value on many items and as mentioned a friendly face to boot.

David

Screwfix haven't been cheap since they became part of Kingfisher. I remember using them in the late 90's and early 2000's and they were cheap then.

Dusty":i08pkhv5 said:
When mr watts sold screwfix he gave a dose of money to both his sons , one started toolstation , the other started silver line.

Erm, no he didn't. Silverline have been around since 1978.

Back