Tools From the USA

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came back from Florida about six months ago with a No. 7 and a large scraper plane along with heaps of clothes, in total 13 kg over the luggage allowance and BA didn't charge or even mention it.

The tax/duty is an issue depending on your conscience; however, Customs are more concerned with career criminals/smugglers etc. rather than the average holiday maker trying to flex the rules. Believe me if you saw the amount of money spent by british people in the outlet malls you could bet that every person on the plane home was over their limit and they all go through the green channel!

As Paul has said, if over there, get what you want, but do bear in mind:-
a) As I understand the law the 145 quid thing is a 'concession'
That means that customs don't have to apply it and if your total value is say 350 quid, they can (If the guy had a bad day) hit you for the full amount.

b) Items that have been used and are for 'personal use' are much more likely to be waived through.

c) If you go through the green channel and get stopped and it has been a bad day for the customs officer you could be deemed to have tried to evade paying.

d) I sometimes went through the red channel and approached an officer all innocent, "look I bought these the're for my hobby, I've used them a bit, do I have to pay duty" provided you're not on any wanted list that usually does the business :)

Why not come back on here and tell what happened, then we'll all do it :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks for all the replies so far guys,
Losos, I will definetly post about what happened, and hopefully there will be a nice gloat too! But I was hoping for some personal accounts of what happened.
It seems to depend how brave I am feeling that morning as to hwether I chance it or not!

I visited New Mexico some months ago and got LN to post some tools to me, the advantage of that was that I did not pay any local sales tax on the purchase as items mailed to a different state in the USA will not attract local sales tax, this saving just about paid for the carriage cost to my US hotel.
I did a feature for the magazine I work for on Customs a few years ago and they told me that in the case of items over £145 that are not declared on entry at a UK airport they can charge you the duty due AND seize the goods, so in the worst case you could be left with a tax bill and no goods. (The feature was focused on the smuggling of cigarettes into Britain).
What Losos has said is right particularly about it being a concession, you could end up paying tax on the full amount if they think you are pull in a fast one!
Haven said all that I regularly travel through Heathrow and Gatwick and have noticed that Customs seem far too busy searching non-European travellers bags for drugs to be bothered with UK nationals.

Mike

If you want a personal experience - I bought a new guitar back from the states, so it was a separate piece of luggage, sales sticker still on the case, as obvious as they come. Customs officers didn't notice me, but I went to pay the duty anyway (wonderful parents playing the conscience!)

I walked up to the counter, said I bought the guitar, they asked how much it cost, I said £400 (underestimated by a long shot), they got out a calculator, subtracted the £145, and charged me around 22% of the remainder, about £60.

Still meant I made a massive saving on the guitar. They really aren't concerned with your £300 worth of tools. Good luck!

whilst i can and do accept that the story of everybody is true, i would caution you if you intend to do this regularly.

now that customs and excise are integrated with the inland revenue, and we have all these funny new laws about trying to retrieve assets of those who profit from crime, you just need to be cautious not to give them a chance to go after you.

they probably won't bother once, but more than that you have to be careful. this administration is determined to recover all the taxes it believes that it has been deprived of, and now they have powers to both tax, and penalise.

i take the personal view that it is better to pay a little tax and get a receipt than wait for the knock on the door. remember that tax law demands that you prove yourself innocent, they do not have to prove you guilty. and now they will i think try all means to convince people that you are doing something else to earn the money.

if it is your only trip to the usa, then buy, and be prudent enough to ask the question excuse me do i owe any money? if they say no then you are safe, if yes, it will still be cheaper than buying retail here, and you will have seen the factory or how home depot works etc which has to be worth it.

the other thing is are you a worrier or not, because that is what will catch you out if they start questioning you, so be prepared. and enjoy your holiday or trip :twisted:

paul :wink:

Chisels arrived this morning via USPS and The Post Office and the great thing no additional charges and duty - so I think I have been very lucky - which makes up for having my car damaged (hit & run) the other day whilst parked in London!!
So I saved £55 on the set of LNs but had to wait about 2 weeks for them which was no bother as I was not in a hurry for them anyway.
Within the package was a 6 piece set of Matsumura Blue Steel chisels which came out top in the FW tests. They were on "special" for $295 - difficult to quote the savings as they are not available over here?

Have not had chance to play with them yet as 2 year old granddaughter is staying with us at the moment :)!

Rod

so let me get this right rob, the grand daughter is playing with them????? :twisted: :roll:

how you gonna keep a good edge on them now?

good luck

paul :wink:

As a US resident I have a bit of experience of bringing stuff back! Easiest was moving back here as I brought all my tools in as 'used personal goods', which was actually true as I didn't buy anything just to bring back.

Couple of points -
1. You can reclaim your US sales tax as you exit the US just as the 'tax free for tourists' scheme operates in Europe. Take your receipt to the customs post on exit - they are not always easy to find!
2. Shipping goods from the US (after online purchase, for example). You will have to pay duty and a handling charge if the declared value of the goods is over (about) $100. If you have anything shipped for less, there's no cost other than postage. Planes are heavy, though, right? :wink:

I did declare my Leigh jig, which cost me $299 on sale in the US and the officer didn't charge anything. He could have, but as I declared it as tools of my trade I think it may have been different? Anyway, no cost to me.

It's not worth it to try and 'cheat' customs - there are some pretty stiff penalties - but if you don't go over the top they're not out to get the odd woodworker bringing back a decent plane for his hobby/profession.

Latest posts

Back