tools bags / totes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
£180 for a taiwanese plastic nylon bag??? :lol: Over designed, too many superfluous details, too many bits to get broken, and at that price someones going to thieve it in no time...
Maybe try and get an ordinary traditional bass instead, if it aint broke dont fix it! Or make a traditional carrying box?

Yep, what Chris said - great bags, very well thought out and made. No, I don't have one either, but the electrician I use loves them - he travels to the US fairly regularly and buys them there, where they're quite a bit cheaper.

I used one of the Irwin tool totes earlier on when I started doing this, and found I was just overloading it to the extent that it was almost too heavy to carry, and unwieldy moving through someone's house. The Pro-Pac stuff is nice because the sides are enclosed, but easily accessible. Then again, for 180 notes you could get a few systainers and a roll-board ;)

A tool bag that costs £180 is quite simply ludicrous, aimed at.......I can't think of who they think might buy it. I use one of these
images.jpg
With the lid removed, a loop handle made from 22mm copper. The thing is filled with short pvc waste pipes on end forming a perfect rack for most tools. 2 Years in and still going strong.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 240
I have 2 Totes. Both Stanley Fatmax. One I paid £4 for at a carboot and the other was a gift. The reason I bought the second was that the other one was becoming so heavy I thought I'd split some of the tools between the 2. After a yr or so I have ended up with all the tools in one bag again. (Don't ask)

The only problem I have with the totes is that it can be a real pain to find anything in them sometimes and they get cluttered. Sometimes I think is it just worth getting a old skool carpenters bags like:

ken593-0030k.jpg

thanks for the replys i have decided im not spending all that dosh on a tool bag :lol: i think i might make one i have made a few but think i will have another go, key is to keep the box as light as possible i think without compromising the strength.
will be back when i have come up with something
cheers

I have one of these... they come in 2 sizes. £30ish..

John..

Attachments

• 73439.jpg
    73439.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 151
After reading the toolbox book by Jim Tolpin in the late nineties it inspired me to make a site toolbox and this is what i came up with.

DSC_0063_zps659357bc.jpg

DSC_0062_zpse3a92e80.jpg

DSC_0065_zps3337add6.jpg

DSC_0066_zps61b38721.jpg

More than 60 main tools live in the box and with small stuff like drill bits screw bits orgers this takes it to well over 100.
DSC_0072_zpsa313318b.jpg

After about fifteen years hard labour it has proved to be pretty bomb proof.I have changed the top once and the ash feet a couple of times.The main box is made from 18mm marine ply biscuit and screws and the top is oak.It makes a great saw bench ,hop up, door buck and you always have some ware to sit and have a cuppa .After a while i soon fond that i could find most of the tools without looking .cheers Bern

Berncarpenter":261zots2 said:
After reading the toolbox book by Jim Tolpin in the late nineties it inspired me to make a site toolbox and this is what i came up with.

DSC_0063_zps659357bc.jpg

DSC_0062_zpse3a92e80.jpg

DSC_0065_zps3337add6.jpg

DSC_0066_zps61b38721.jpg

More than 60 main tools live in the box and with small stuff like drill bits screw bits orgers this takes it to well over 100.
DSC_0072_zpsa313318b.jpg

After about fifteen years hard labour it has proved to be pretty bomb proof.I have changed the top once and the ash feet a couple of times.The main box is made from 18mm marine ply biscuit and screws and the top is oak.It makes a great saw bench ,hop up, door buck and you always have some ware to sit and have a cuppa .After a while i soon fond that i could find most of the tools without looking .cheers Bern

Bakuma shark nail bars, cant be beat...!

Berncarpenter":cg0cfva9 said:

DSC_0063_zps659357bc.jpg

DSC_0062_zpse3a92e80.jpg

DSC_0065_zps3337add6.jpg

DSC_0066_zps61b38721.jpg

DSC_0072_zpsa313318b.jpg

thanks for that :D think i may make something along them lines see how it goes i found some 18mm birch ply today at work just enough for the job, the top will be handy for standing on etc.
will report back when ive made it

Grayorm":z4tcrz8s said:
Heavy, heavy, heavy man.

Yeh it weighs four and a half stone, but its really well balanced and i can pick it up one handed.If you want it lighter just take a few tools out .

DSC_0077_zps66a6e60d.jpg

Ahh thats better now less than two stone Cheers Bern :D

Back