Tooling Advice - New Woodworker, very limited space.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich_N

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a question regarding static or semi-portable machines.

I am very new to woodworking and I'm in the process of buying tooling as I think I'm going to make use of it.

So far I've invested in a cheapish Dewalt 773 Mitre saw, and the Triton TWX7 table with both the router and table saw modules (they make best use of my limited space).

Ive now made some space which means I can build a dedicated workbench as well as my mitre saw station which currently doubles as a workbench.

I am moving away from building my shop to wanting to make things. Simple boxes and a chopping board or two will be the first projects.

So, now I've given a little background to my needs here is my question.

I am thinking that either a drill press, bandsaw or planer/thicknesser would be wise investments. Out of those, which do people advise getting first? I'm leaning towards a drill press, nothing too expensive. My reasoning is that I have a jigsaw and hand planes, and although I have a drill, getting consistent 90 degree or consistent depth holes is tough.

Any advice?

Thanks

I am little more than a DIYer but my order of priority would be.
1. Drill press - useful for any size of project.
2. Bandsaw - very versatile - can be used for small boxes and larger projects when used with fence, mitre guide and jigs.
3 PT - as and when you can't hand plane your project.
Good luck.

Hi Rich - did anyone ever come back to you with drill press advice/recommendations? I got my PT from Machine Mart and it’s “ok”. I had to make a sort of internal sled to stop it doing that annoying tear out thing as the wood leaves the machine but now it’s fine. I find Evolution tools are pretty good for starting up. I have both a mitre saw and a site saw table and provided you regularly check the alignments they’re fine.

Back