Tool shops in Canada

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big John

Established Member
Reaction score
My son is going to Canada soon for a holiday (Halifax area). Can anyone recommend somewhere he can pick up a few tools from my 'essential equipment' list. I was thinking in particular about a couple of Veritas planes.

Do a "google" for the branches and don't forget taxes are added on - it was 13% in Ontario this summer.

Still big savings to be had :)

Rod

For purchases in Canada where you pay the local GST tax the tax can be reclaimed via a form from their customs people and a chgeque or BACs payment will hit your account a few weeks later

regards
Alan

I cannot remember the cut-off date off hand but that tax refund is no longer possible.
At least that's what the Canadian Custom Regs said when I googled it before I went in July.

Rod

I've been going to Toronto on business for 10 yrs and last went thuis July/August and still claimed back the value of GST for Hotels, meals, tools etc. Got the form from customs as I went through the airport.
Alan

That's strange because this is what I found:

"The New Rebate System

As from 1 April 2007, the earlier method of getting tax rebates on goods and accommodation purchased in Canada
by a visitor and taken out of Canada was repealed.

A substantially more limited form of partial rebate was introduced in its place. This new system allows for a one half refund (rather than full refund) of the GST/HST paid on the accommodation component of packaged tours to Canada.

A packaged tour has to comprise a mix of airfare and accommodation (and potentially other things) all sold for one price without a price breakdown of the components.

Refunds are claimed back through the tour operator you bought the packaged tour from, and are to be claimed only after you have returned from Canada.

For more details as to the eligibility for any refund when you are buying travel packages to Canada, ask the company who is selling the package to you.

Sadly, this new arrangement is vastly less generous than the earlier arrangement."

And a similar message from: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/visitors/

Rod :?

Thanks for the replies. I will still be saving money even without a tax rebate. It's a pity I'm not going myself - there looks to be a Home Depot close to the Lee Valley store - I could probably fill a couple of suitcases.

Latest posts

Back