Tool rest Stem size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davegw

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got the chance to buy the Sorby modular tool rest system :D , I just need to know the Stem Size of my Banjo :? . obviously I could measure it - but I'm about a hundred miles away from my lathe at the moment :( and I'd rather get this sorted out today.

The Lathe is an SIP 01360 - which I believe is a re-badged chinese make, charnwood definitely sell something similar (only difference seems to be the colour.

Does anyone know what size I should go for :oops: ?

Thanks

Dave

HI

It looks the same as the perform and others which all seem to have a 25mm stem.

john

The perform is a 1" stem (I still use proper measurements) which is 25mm and as said I suspect that most of the others are the same. If it's the wrong one I'm sure they'll change it for you anyway. Any particular reason why you are going for the modular rests?

Pete

Bodrighy":1nljnmln said:
The perform is a 1" stem (I still use proper measurements) which is 25mm and as said I suspect that most of the others are the same. If it's the wrong one I'm sure they'll change it for you anyway. Any particular reason why you are going for the modular rests?

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I wanted to replace mine, the one that came with the lathe is already dented, and very sticky (by which I mean the tools keep sticking in the dents) I've ground it back a couple of times (trying hard to keep it straight) but it's so soft, the first dig-in knackers it almost immediately.

Someone at my club recommended a round bar, and I saw the Sorby, and searched online and it seems the best value.

Always working on the assumption that Sorby is quality of course.

Dave

1" is not 25 mm, it is in fact 25.4 mm and will not fit into a 25mm hole(I know)w)

jaymar":37x466ge said:
1" is not 25 mm, it is in fact 25.4 mm and will not fit into a 25mm hole(I know)w)

Pardom me :oops: I use to run Series 2 Landrovers and all I remembe is that a 13mm spnner was OK for a 1/2" nut. That and a 9/16th did all the bolts. When I measured my post some time ago it looked like 1" so it probably wasn't exactly.

Ignore me and folllow the other guys Dave....they know metric..I know Imperial and Whitworth :lol:

Pete

bohdrigy, you may well have a 1" post (I foolishly have both) I was just pointing out that it is possible to get the wrong stem and they are not inte rchangeable that

This system is in the Peter Child Catalogue, along with the comment that the APTC 900/950 lathes use a 1" stem while the Perform CCL has a 25mm and a 1" stem will not fit in a 25mm hole. :roll:

I am interested in what you think of this system. I am thinking of buying another rest as I would like a shorter one for working on small stuff between centres and this does appear to offer some flexibility with the different rests for it.

Dave L.
I really like the Sorby modular system, i have a s rest, a short bar & the medium bar.
I find the short bar great for pen turning as the Nova tool rest is much longer than my mandrel.
Also for some types of turning i prefer the round rest.

I have the Sorby 4" 6" 9" with my nova 12" the sorby is great when bowl turning or work like that if its an akward place to get to just change over the different lenghts. REgards Boysie

Thanks for all your help folks, it's ordered now (just the 25mm stem and the 9" bar to start with)

BTW One of the reasons for getting this was economic, I figured that I could add the extra's ('S' Bars etc) going forward.

I'll let you know how I get on (might even manage a couple of photos ;)

Well, I can confirm that you're O.K. for the size of the post. I've just measured mine (I've got the same lathe) and it's 24.876mm.

I bought a rest for hollowing which was modular. Unfortunately I could only get it with a 1inch stem and of course would not fit my banjo. Fortunately with the stem being separate I was able to fit it in my chuck and with the lathe on slow was able to file it down to the correct size and re-polish it with emery paper.

Back