Tool Gloat and advice request

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right.
Maths is not your strong point :roll:

If you used 4 dominos in a stile/rail joint, half of the total size of the 4 dominoes will end up glued into the stile of the door (the other half being in the rail).
So half of the total glue area of 4 dominoes will be used in the stile part of the joint. This is the same as the total area of 2 dominos.
So lay 2 dominos on top of an equivalent traditional tenon for that joint, and unless your eyes are as bad as your maths, you will see that the tenon clearly has a much larger glue area.

Have you used the domino? Made anything with it. You really should try it before casting judgement, I thought originally that they wouldn't be sufficient for everything but they really are surprising in the area.

Since you ask, just from reading your posts on this forum I know that I have owned a domino for a lot longer than yourself. I use it extensively for customers projects, and find it a very versatile machine.

The OP asked whether it would be a useful method for building a number of internal doors in oak, and I stated my opinion which was that I wasn't sure, for the reasons given. I'm not against trying other ways of doing anything, but for this application I would use the traditional construction.
I'm sure other door makers reading this will have their own opinion.

SP":2g7ubsd3 said:
I agree with Trousers in that the greater area can be obtained with the traditional M&T but is that really the deciding factor.?
With modern glues is there any need to have 3 times the surface area.

I've actually butted end grain together with glue and no mechanical strengtheners and the joint is holding up to this day, 6 years later. Not perfect or wise I agree, but the strength of glue has to be taken into account surely.

Go far enough back in time and I guess all joints were made using huge mechanical joints because that was the only ONLY way to achieve sufficient strength.

I still favour the conventional approach in most situations, but I think I'll make at least the first door using dominoes and maybe try swinging on it!

Stephen

I'm with SP on this one. The strength of modern adhesives has largely surpassed what was available back then and I'd see no reason why internal doors would fail.

On my door thread - someone posted a link to a site where the guy made an external hardwood door with dominoes and it didn't look like it was going anywhere.

Dibs

trousers":2mlwo6nb said:
You're right.
Maths is not your strong point :roll:

If you used 4 dominos in a stile/rail joint, half of the total size of the 4 dominoes will end up glued into the stile of the door (the other half being in the rail).
So half of the total glue area of 4 dominoes will be used in the stile part of the joint. This is the same as the total area of 2 dominos.
So lay 2 dominos on top of an equivalent traditional tenon for that joint, and unless your eyes are as bad as your maths, you will see that the tenon clearly has a much larger glue area.

Have you used the domino? Made anything with it. You really should try it before casting judgement, I thought originally that they wouldn't be sufficient for everything but they really are surprising in the area.

Since you ask, just from reading your posts on this forum I know that I have owned a domino for a lot longer than yourself. I use it extensively for customers projects, and find it a very versatile machine.

The OP asked whether it would be a useful method for building a number of internal doors in oak, and I stated my opinion which was that I wasn't sure, for the reasons given. I'm not against trying other ways of doing anything, but for this application I would use the traditional construction.
I'm sure other door makers reading this will have their own opinion.

No need to get touchy now, were only talking about bits of wood.

Glad to hear you've used one makes your comments all the more valid.

Back