tool chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
martyn2":ackxcw2s said:
:D I have now invested in a pair of skis(old floor boards) and a ski lift :roll:
Got a plan for some wooden skis someplace... :-k Hang on. Ski Lift?! You don't think you're ever getting back up again, do you? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

martyn2":1rtemrzr said:
Alf":1rtemrzr said:
[Hang on. Ski Lift?! You don't think you're ever getting back up again, do you? :lol:
Cheers, Alf
one can dream [-o< not me my LOML
Martyn
Ah, the ski lift is most likely a personal, painfully purpose-built contraption.

For me, it is the selling off of tools I deem not important at this time, or those which demarcate a shift in methods.

It will be a most amusing time for all concerned when, upon reaching my own precipice, I am to step off and blindly slide back down :lol:

Mike

I think you can reach a plateau on The Slope sometimes, where the slide slows, stops, or you even think you might just be able to scramble back up a yard or two (self-deluding sliders, that we are). But I don't think you ever truly ever get back up once you're on it. Selling things just seems to slow the speed of descent (lighter weight I s'pose?) :D

I've been on a plateau-ette for a while now (no really), but the slow rate at which I off-load things and the trickle of other things coming on board means I sharn't ever get any nearer the top. This is the highest point, and it's pretty far from the sun... But nothing quite beats that adrenalin rush when you first go over The Edge - the speed, the wind in your face, the LOYL with the constant cry of "not more tools!" forever on their lips, the endless flow of edges to be sharpened. Ah me, I'm getting nostalgic now... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

"The Slippery Slope" is a completely false analogy meant to delude the newcomer that one is merely sliding, not falling. A better analogy is the Warner Bros cartoon "Roadrunner". All of us are Wile E. Coyote ever acquiring yet another "ACME" tool to aid us in our futile pursuit of the Roadrunner only to find we are falling off another cliff and raising a cloud of dust at the bottom.

LOL!:lol::lol::lol:
Alf":3irlvytv said:
the LOYL with the constant cry of "not more tools!" forever on their lips
One good thing about getting on down the slope is that LOYL eventually gives up crying. This happens when the "conditioning stage" of the slope comes to an end. Another advantage is that you have so many planes that two or three more can only be noticed by other people on the same slope. And so we enter the "reduced stress" stage. The highs may be less exhilarating but hey, you do want to live long enough to get that minty infill...!

I could be wrong here, but it seems to me that making furniture or whatever is only an excuse for tool acquisition. ':shock:' I mean, as far as I can see nobody is going on about how many chairs or tables or bookcases or boats they are going to acquire when they have these tools!

Me, I'm going to acquire a tool tote and a workbench. Eventually. Ahem.

evie

Alf":13fl2qn8 said:
...the LOYL with the constant cry of "not more tools!" forever on their lips
Only in my case, it's a bit of one addict (in recovery) living with another (not in recovery). There is no "not more tools" only the constant refrain of "you going near XYZ tool store today?" or "are you ordering from LV soon?" and even When you're out today, would you pick me up a piece of ABC wood?" LOL.

But it's all good, really. And of course I'm not really climbing out of the valley of Old Tools. Not really climbing out at all. Just lightening the load is all. "Less is more" is the delusion in search of a simplier set of choices.

But, as I haven't weighed in on giving Evie my demented advice...I would suggest that a small tool chest is a great project for storing your tools. Just make sure it is capable of you lifting it. The mentioned Toolbox book looks like it would have many good suggestions. Any you find made for portability for say a carpenter would have ideas to borrow from.

So why this suggestion? A portable toolbox (any toolbox really) is an excercise in tolerances and fit. There are parts, such as the case sides and top for practicing handcut joinery, that need to be as tight as one can make. There are lots of parts, say like removable tills, that need to be a loose fit...but not too loose. Then there is the practice of fitting the tools it will contain themselves. This can be a good practice in scribing a fit of odd shapes. The whole fitting is an excercise in the logic of the maker. One that can and will change with time.

Mike
who still needs to make one for taking to jobsites--but now has a design in the head...

Roger Nixon":2h2449h9 said:
"The Slippery Slope" is a completely false analogy meant to delude the newcomer that one is merely sliding, not falling.
Roger, I feel like a fisherman who's just seen someone carefully shepherding the fish out of the danger zone. You're not meant to tell them that! ](*,)

evie":2h2449h9 said:
I could be wrong here, but it seems to me that making furniture or whatever is only an excuse for tool acquisition. ':shock:'
Ooops. We've been rumbled... 8-[ For the actual making of things, the Hand Tools board - arguably any Hand Tool forum - is the last place to be*. :lol:

MikeW":2h2449h9 said:
who still needs to make one for taking to jobsites--but now has a design in the head...
Oh really? Should you care to share at any point, I'm sure we'll make like Mr Spock and be all ears. :)

Cheers, Alf

*By which I mean "try the completed projects etc", not "hand tool users never make anything". Although some don't. But we don't make value judgements on such a crass basis as number of completed projects. That's what their SWMBOs/HWMBOs are for. :whistle:

Oh really? Should you care to share at any point, I'm sure we'll make like Mr Spock and be all ears.
But of course...probably not a play-by-play account though. Need to first get the idea on paper. Gather those hand tools I have deemed important from my playing finish carpenter on a few jobs.

And there is a complimentary larger, probably two-person-to-carry traditional toolbox as well.

As well as a stepstool that carries some tools that I have found handy to have.

But first, the stool and portable box.

Mike

Alf":1le2z2kk said:
Roger Nixon":1le2z2kk said:
"The Slippery Slope" is a completely false analogy meant to delude the newcomer that one is merely sliding, not falling.
Roger, I feel like a fisherman who's just seen someone carefully shepherding the fish out of the danger zone. You're not meant to tell them that! ](*,)

It's OK, she has some planes! She is ours now!

<whoosh><whoo>
"Luke, er, Evie, I am your father!" :lol:

SWMBO has always supported my tool habit. Of course, she is much worse with her quilt/vintage fabric habit. :D

In my early galooting days, I used to support my tool jones by buying lots of old tools at auctions and selling them on ebay, keeping what I wanted from the lot. It was profitable enough that SWMBO would sometimes kick me out on Saturday mornings and tell me to come home with tools. :D

the toolbox controversy is ever greater, and if you work in others homes, you tend to take power tools, and they all have funny different shaped boxes which means that any job involves a couple of dozen trips back to the car/van or pantechnicon.

i have often thought that for those brits who live in small places, (everybody) the combination saw horse, stool and tool holder has a lot
of value, and as mike says gives you a good jumping off point. if you intend to stick with hand tools it will be relatively light and even sort of transportable. the problem then becomes that people see that you can make things and they want you to do the "odd job" for them, "won't take long" "you want how much?????"

i think that the problem with tools is we all want our jobs to be made more easily, so we buy something without really knowing whether it will do what is says on the can, then having used it once we cannot return it. this is particularly true for those who live too far from exhibitions and shops, and have to rely on magazine reviews. so in my case you end up with two lots of tools, those that are still in use, and those that should be, but now i can do with out. the problem is that both lots are combined in one place and i cannot remember which is which. if only i had the strength to put to one side those that don't work and then try to sell them :lol:

Back