tool chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evie,
I think you have a very good start and some great replies so far.
You can construct a very serviceable bench with a solid core door for a top and a construction lumber base. I was able to find these at a demolition company for less than $10.

It is very encouraging to have people validate my choices so far.

Sharpening: currently using various sandpaper grits stuck to a big flat floor tile, plus Axminster honing jig (better than hand, but nasty IMO). My vintage chisels seem never to have been used, and the original bevel is considerably less than the 25 degrees recommended. Thus much work ahead. The three of five I've done have come out pretty well, though, and are definitely a lot sharper than they were.

Bench: Door sounds good except the space I have is much smaller than that. Will keep you posted.

Saw: Dozuki sounds good but I've not been taught to use it. Do you stick your index finger out the way you do with a back saw?

Thanks!

evie

Okay, the list as mentioned above. Not sure it's as much help as I thought - but it might be of interest, or a point of debate, anyway. Or just nostalgic, give how many names are now no longer available, or just not worth the money. Prices are from the 1997 APTC catalogue IIRC.

John Brown's Anarchist Woodworker Tool Kit - Autumn 1997

Saws
26in Rip Saw- Dorchester 570 series 50.70
26in Crosscut Dorchester 570 series 50.70
22in Panel saw Dorchester 570 series 46.69
8in Gents saw. Roberts & Lee 11.50
Coping saw 6.23
12in Turning saw 31.50
Junior hack saw - Eclipse 2.03
8in regular taper saw file 3.66
6in slim taper saw file 2.38

Hammers
20oz Claw- Stanley 40 series 15.63
12oz Crosspein- Stanley 8.74

Planes
Jointer No 7 - Stanley 73.56
Jack No5 - Stanley 42.59
Smoothing No4 - Stanley 34.13
Block 60 1/2: - Stanley 33.51
Rebate 778 - Record 79.33
Router 71 - Stanley 47.76

Chisels
1 1/4in paring - Sorby 20.79
1/2in paring - Sorby 16.76
1in register - Sorby 284 15.27
1/2in register - Sorby 284 12.28
1/4in bevel edge - Record Marples 377 16.34

Boring Holes
10in Brace - Stanley 73 Mk iv 45.33
Hand drill - Stanley 24.76
1in Jennings bit 13.03
3/4in Jennings bit 10.92
5/8in Jennings bit 9.16
1/2in Jennings bit 8.93
3/8in Jennings bit 8.69
Bit roll - 9 pocket 4.09
1 1/4in centre pattern bit 10.62
13 piece twist drills, IMP Dial a Drill 8.12
Countersink 4.01

Measuring and Marking
36in Rabone Blind Man's Rule 7.66
5m Tape - APTC Index 4.43
12in Try Square, Recprd/Marples 2200 24.85
10 1/2in Bevel, Reqord/Marples 2226 15.87
Mortise Gauge, Record/Marples 2153 22.48
Cutting Gauge, Record/Marples 2083 13.14
Knife (SIoyd) 120SB 9.75
2in Bradawl - square blade 3.69
Stanley Knife 199 2.85

Miscellaneous
8in Screwdriver - Sheffield Cabinet 7.71
4in Screwdriver - Sheffield Cabinet 4,81
6in Pliers - Spear & Jackson 'sure grip' 7.30
10in Pincers 8.57
12in Wood rasp 20.88
Cabinet Scraper - Sandvik 474 2.68
Burnisher - Kirschen 5.71
Handgrinder to be decided?
O'Donnell Tool Rest. (Not APTC, donated by
Mike O'Donnell)
Fine Bench Stone -
8in x 2in x 1in Norton India 14.32
Slipstones - Henry Taylor 7.44
Holding and Cramping
Vice - Record 10 1/2in plain screw 58.26
Vice - Mechanic's - Record 4in 63 47
G Cramps - Record 120. 4 @ 18.07 72.28
Sash Cramps - Paramo box section
2 x 36in @ 25.95 - 51.90
Sash Cramps - Paramo box section
2 x 72in @ 40.04 80.08

Tool not in APTC catalogue
Kunz adjustable mouth spokeshave (modern
version of the old Stanley #53)
Add to this list such items as pencils, chalk,
masking tape, rags, brushes, Danish oil, paint
etc. Also, a 36in (or better, a 48in) metal
level, useful as a straight edge.

Cheers, Alf

evie, looks like you have the basic, enthusiasm.
i'm no expert but i think it is too easy to get too many tools,
i've hundreds of them it seems, not sure i use them all.

the most important thing is to make things, and to do this you need very
basic tools, but also you need marking tools.

for layout/marking tools in the uk i suggest you go to companies like
proops and other cheap sellers to start out. really you could start out
using a plastic set square and a steel rule if you are going to make small
boxes, get a knife and a pencil and you are set to get going.

as for the bench, you may not be able to fix anything to your balcony, and of course it's raining now in west london so it is not the ideal place for detail work. suggest you think about a cutting bench which could be made of 3x3 beam of rough wood (maybe from a local skip) and a folding top attached sort of temporarily permanently to the balcony, then assembly and fine work inside. (you'll do the hoovering anyway to it should not get too messy)(not being sexist just realistic).

start with a japanese pull saw maybe like the sharks if for no other reason than they seem to make less dust, and be easier to start. and yes, use your finger as a start.
as for cramps/clamps if you have a bench, then you need really for little things only place a couple of dogs, and some wedges, or splurge, and buy a zyliss vise at an exhibition. might blow your budget for other tools, but for small things is has many virtues, not least adaptability.

hope this too helps
paul :wink:

Thanks Paul! I appreciate it, the long list was worrying me, although I reckon it is also very helpful. I found a similarly long one, but seemingly good, at Geoff's woodworking - but the prices! Well, I feel like a genius for snapping up what I have so cheaply :)

Marking tools: I actually have quite a bit, I now realise, from some technical drawing classes I took in high school twenty-odd years ago (ack) - anyway a reliable lead holder, compass, large compass, lockable dividers, etc. And a steel rule SOMEwhere around the house, if I can find it. The thing I really need is a combination square, I guess, that's not too expensive. I have a swiss army knife and a stanley knife too from the normal household DIY.

Good ideas about attaching the bench to the balcony, I will look into whether it's possible to stick - what, I guess rings? - into the brick wall. Wouldn't want the house to crumble... The balcony is quite sheltered from the rain except at the outer edge. Major problem is the wind, so you're probably right about the detail work needing to be done indoors.

This was really really helpful, thanks again.

evie

ps Have to be careful about the hoovering though - my husband is an enlightened Swede and likely to take it into his head to do it and then come over all grumpy. On the plus side, he does the laundry and the bathroom :)

buy a zyliss vise

I strongly recommend against this. And I speak as someone who bought one.

They are expensive.

I would much prefer a (preferably old s/h) B&D workmate, a coupla' 'F' clamps, and a coupla' cheap Aluminium sash clamps, which should come to the same total outlay. Together with some scrap, these provide a multitude of work holding possibilities.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... 55&recno=1

BugBear

Evie, a lead holder is something I have never seen mentioned on WW forums but it is a great layout tool. 4H & 5H leads are exellent and I used to be able to get white leads for marking on dark woods. I haven't been able to find those lately so my small supply will have to last awhile. :)
Another trick is to take a 2 mm drill bit and sharpen the plain end. Now you have a scratch awl with retractable tip!
Ian Kirby uses a Swiss Army knife for a marking knife.
Josh Clark http://hyperkitten.com/woodworking/ did some great woodworking while living in a condo. I wish he had pictures of his workbench/dining table on his site. :lol:

Thanks for all advice to date.

OK, so I took the plunge and bought (from Axminster, I can't be hauling hardware all over london on the tube):

- el super cheapo Axminster workmate knock-off. Maybe I'll be sorry but I have compact workbench plans of which more anon.
- 4 regular duty g-clamps, 2 big, 2 small
- 2 aluminum sash clamps
- dozuki (hope you guys are right about this!)
- combination waterstone for honing. The school has a tormek system so hopefully I can do heavy duty grinding there - btw they are on sale at Axminster (tormeks, that is), not that I'm getting one but someone here might be in the market.
- small combination square
- coping saw & blades (I have hopes of dovetailing, where I understand they are very useful)
- mallet
- hardpoint saw

Total £89. Dozuki was the most expensive at £18, followed by the sash clamps and the waterstone.

The Stopped Housing Joint was no match for me in class last night, and my plans to make a letter holder with four shelves were approved.

We have this no 71 router plane at the school, and I love that thing. When finances recover from this latest splurge perhaps.

Thanks again for all advice. I will now stop asking about basic kit and return to asking questions about bridled plough planes and the like.

evie, sliding ever faster down the slope

evie said:
tormek system so hopefully I can do heavy duty grinding there /quote]

I doubt it, Tormeks are not a grinding system designed to remove large amounts of metal. It takes ages to remove even small amounts of metal. DAMHIKT!

Adam

We have this no 71 router plane at the school, and I love that thing. When finances recover from this latest splurge perhaps.

For housing or dados, you could make a DIY "old women's tooth" router, built to fit one of your chisels.

Courtesy of Alf:
http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/wwrouterplane.html

Pictures:
http://www.holzwerken.de/pics/grannys1.jpg
http://www.holzwerken.de/pics/grannys2.jpg

#71's go quite expensive on the second hand market. I don't know why.

In the early stages of WW'ing, making wooden tools is doubly time effective, because you improve your skills, and gain tools.

But such things as bench hooks, shooting boards, bow saws (!) can all be made.

The ultimate example is (of course) a bench...

BugBear

Stop, stop, you're trying to hurt me, aren't you? Now I will have to do as you suggest.

I will repay you by sending the forum pictures of my laughable attempts at toolery...and you will have to correct me, step by tortuous step, as I ask sixteen questions for every answer you give...

evie

PS thanks for the cool links

go for it,
my comment about fixing to the wall, i would think of maybe a couple of
rawlplugs and long screws, make it look like support for a plant holder, they'll never know.

don't understand the comment about tormek's not removing metal very quickly. i was able to reshape an old footprint masher within about 10 minutes on coarse, otherwise i only use the fine .

as for zyliss, yes they are a bit pricy but when you have no space, they offer you the chance not to have a big or little work bench. maybe for a pro they are no good, but for the amateur they offer a good starting point.

evie as for things like bench hook they are easily made at your class and maybe you can make special ones.

from a personal point of view its nice to see that a woman can also fall down this slippery slope, go for it.

paul :lol:

Hi bugbear,

For housing or dados, you could make a DIY "old women's tooth" router, built to fit one of your chisels.

This looks really really hard, even if I want to (which of course I do). Has anyone else done it? Is it really really hard? I read Alf's description of making the spokeshave "kit" where everything is supposed to go together, and that impressed me no end. Here I take an old file or a chisel and convert it as if by magic, or so it seems to me. I mean, that's super cool of course but rather daunting.

Even the old instructions, which are about half Greek (like drilling with a twist bit on the bevel, whatever that means), say it is "a test of craftsmanship." That's for sure.

evie

engineer one":4sbo4cli said:
from a personal point of view its nice to see that a woman can also fall down this slippery slope, go for it.
It's not entirely unknown... :roll: :lol:

As far as the router plane is concerned, possibly an easier option is to make one using a reground allen key - like this. It doesn't have to be even that posh, to be honest, but what else is a person to do it they happen to have a thumb screw lying about? :oops: And speaking for myself, I can assure you I've never made any of the things in the Galootish Gleanings on my website. :oops: I will do. One day. Quite soon now.

Probably. 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Ah, well... I don't want to be accused of gloating, do I? :roll: If there's any desire to have a bash at another class of tool, feel free to prod me appropriately. Got most of the major planes photographed now, if you wanted to try that daunting task. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

evie":6i73q7c9 said:
Currently my tools have no real home.
Hmm, I wonder if something portable isn't your best route - given your location, balcony situation etc. :-k Saw something recently... here we go. 'Course The Toolbox Book has a range of ideas along the same lines, but as it's a Slippery Slope all on its own, you might do best to avoid that just now. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":56c6un3o said:
but as it's a Slippery Slope all on its own, you might do best to avoid that just now. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

:D I have now invested in a pair of skis(old floor boards) and a ski lift :roll:

martyn

Latest posts

Back