Tool cases?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how many of you keep your power tools/hand tools in the cases/boxes that they came in? I have most of the cases that my tools came in and use them all the time. Three of my routers only came in a cardboard box but they still get put back into them when I have finished with them. My Makita drill and driver case is looking it's age now and the catches have long fallen off but it is still in use too. Just wondering if anyone else is like me? :roll:

Absolutely. I have several power tools that don't have cases and I store them in a couple of large drawers but all the rest are stored in the cases they came in. In fact a case is now a consideration when choosing a new tool.

They are also handy for keeping bits and bobs in that go with the tool, for example I keep a few blades in with my jigsaw.

regards

Brian

For transporting them from the shop to site and back again I find best to keep them in their boxes, along with a few sundries. In my drill/driver boxes I keep a few drills, hex adaptor and bits etc

Because my workshop is at the back of my single garage I have no option but to pack everything away so I can get the car in, so original tool boxes are a godsend.

Usually toss the boxes in the bin, with routers fences as well, no point in having loads of multiple fences (all the same, trend,dewalt,cmt). I used to hang on to them but they just pile up.

With regards to transporting them if they can't hold up to been tossed into a crate then they won't get bought for my workshop. Never had one break in a crate usually break when dropped from a bench, esp green and black ones :lol:

Yep,keep all mine as well.
But my daughter keeps telling me I've got OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder),so it might be that :lol:

Andrew (who likes to colour co-ordinate pegs with clothes when hanging out the washing...)

Used to keep everything in the boxes.. but now that I have a dedicated little workshop the most used of the tools seem to have found themselves new homes. Router lives in table... Drill, batteries and charger have a little shelf to themselves near a socket.. etc

I still can't bring myself to throw away the cases though.. they come in handy when I need to cart the tools around.

I find that the boxes are, in general, a very poor design. If, for example, you have a fence and rods fitted, or a dust extraction spout, then the tool will not fit back in the box without being dismantled. This is very inconvenient because you might not want to dismantle the tool if you have not finished the job and don't want to disturb the settings. So then you have the tool and the box to store, which takes up twice as much room. In many cases I dispose of the box or put it in the loft.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

i bin em
all my gear goes to site in that big stanley toolbox on wheels, a stanley tool bag, a large orange crate and a plethora of cardboard boxes :lol:

The only box I use if for the cordless combi as it allows me to carry charge, spare battery and bits. Otherwise tools are in a couple of cupboards for quick and easy access, if I need them on site then I put what I need into one or two stacking type plastic crates from the sheds.

Jason

I never used bother with the cases and simply stowed the tools on a shelf, transporting them to jobs in a big plastic crate.

However, a couple of years ago I employed a guy with a slight case of compulsive obsessive disorder - as it has recently been re-named (SWMBO is a psychiatric nurse - goes by the name of Rachid :lol: )

All his tools went back into their cases even in the middle of a job! His bench looked like an operating table in its tidyness and efficiency (but with less blood) :lol:

Some of his habits have rubbed off on me and I now find myself using the power tool boxes as a matter of course. Fortunately some of my habits have rubbed off on him and he has become a bit of a scruffy b****d!

Cheers
Brad

All the ones that came in cases are still in them, and ones that didnt i have found cases for.
All the things like spare blades etc all in the case whenever possible. You know what your doing on a job, just think, eg drill, saw, sander...pick up 3 boxes and its all there.
Ideal for storage- you know whats in each case. so just shelve the case and pull it out when you need it.

I find cables tend to get tangled up if you just throw a few powertools in a box, And can be awkward to carry if there is loads in it.

Hitch":3pohu6c5 said:
All the ones that came in cases are still in them, and ones that didnt i have found cases for.
All the things like spare blades etc all in the case whenever possible. You know what your doing on a job, just think, eg drill, saw, sander...pick up 3 boxes and its all there.
Ideal for storage- you know whats in each case. so just shelve the case and pull it out when you need it.

I find cables tend to get tangled up if you just throw a few powertools in a box, And can be awkward to carry if there is loads in it.

This kind of flawlessly logical thinking is perfectly normal for a chap of 45 or over.

For anyone under 35 it's a bit weird :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Brad

I bin all mine. I have a large filing cabinet that I put all my tools in. Much more conveniant. If I have to transport anything, I just put it in a cardboard box. I can never get the damn things back into their case, either the power-cord or the plug never seems to go back properly and the lid doesn't shut. Bloody annoying.

Brad Naylor":28wrvjp7 said:
Hitch":28wrvjp7 said:

This kind of flawlessly logical thinking is perfectly normal for a chap of 45 or over.

Cheers
Brad
Ah now that may explain why I do it, I am 51. I didn't realise it was an age thing. :D

Brad Naylor":3q4hzbvo said:
Hitch":3q4hzbvo said:

Cheers
Brad

Oh dear :shock:
I have a long way till im even 35 :oops:

Latest posts

Back