Tool Cabinet - FINISHED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very wise I would think. My farcical attempts at veneering have not gone according to plan at all.

Can I ask you where you had them made up and roughly what they charge for doing it as this could well be an option I'll explore in the coming future?

Looking great so far Waka.

I am quite envious of having the time to work on this - with my current shoptime I'd be on it for years!

Cheers, Ed

No spare time left in your rtetirement I see Waka, the workshop extension was obviously worthwhile.
Nice looking timber on this job to.

Waka wrote:
I have to confess that I had the panels made, I did this for two reasons, the first being that I didn't have the vacuum press, and my skills at veneering are zero.

Seems to be coming along well Waka. I think in your shop there may not be space for a vacuum press unless you kept the bag and board on a vertical stand like wot I've got in my 'shop - Rob

Have you thought about security? I assume your workshop is already like Fort Knox with all those drool worthy tools. But might be an idea to add another 'layer', to delay more than anything. I realise that Mr Average-Burglar (posh robber) won't have the slightest clue the value of them but you never know.

Talking alarms, I fitted one of these sets, I added two extra movement sensors in the workshop. By buying an alarm system I got a big reduction on my house insurance :lol:

wizer":17xefp6x said:
Have you thought about security? I assume your workshop is already like Fort Knox with all those drool worthy tools. But might be an idea to add another 'layer', to delay more than anything. I realise that Mr Average-Burglar (posh robber) won't have the slightest clue the value of them but you never know.

Wizer

I've had my workshop alarmed for ages, its tied into the house alarm, it has been known for the window cleaner (that's when we could afford one) to set off the alarm. Second layer is the dog and the third layer HID's.

Lord Nibbo":lvyjnvu8 said:
Talking alarms, I fitted one of these sets, I added two extra movement sensors in the workshop. By buying an alarm system I got a big reduction on my house insurance :lol:

Should do the trick if you are on the premises, but if the houselhold is out, nobody takes any notice anymore of alarms going off. Too many false alarms have spoilt the system.
The local police wont come out if you report an alarm going, they will ask you to go and inspect first: Cowards!!!

Seem to have spent most of the day in the workshop today, but don't seem to have made a great deal of progress.

First thing this morning was to dry fit the lower carcass, then it was a case of sitting down and working out how many drawers and the right depths.

In the end I decided on one full width drawer in the bottom, this will take the jointing planes, this will have an internal depth of 7 1/2 " just enough height for the planes to sit upright.

This is also true of the next two drawers, these will take the panel and smoothing planes.

I haven't yet decided whether to have all the small planes such as block planes in the nest four drawers or use them for something else. I'll probably use them for planes, that way all the planes are in the lower cabinet.

Here's just a view of the spacers between the drawers.

IMGP2720.jpg

I've decided to use the push to open full extension drawer runners, that will save the need for handles.

devonwoody":1guzs747 said:
Should do the trick if you are on the premises, but if the houselhold is out, nobody takes any notice anymore of alarms going off. Too many false alarms have spoilt the system.
The local police wont come out if you report an alarm going, they will ask you to go and inspect first: Cowards!!!

It will telephone three numbers in sequence until it's answered. The first is my mobile, the second choice is my nearest neighbour then third another neighbour, each one of which will have a quick look then ring Mr Plod.

Lord Nibbo":3v5plwq9 said:
devonwoody":3v5plwq9 said:

It will telephone three numbers in sequence until it's answered. The first is my mobile, the second choice is my nearest neighbour then third another neighbour, each one of which will have a quick look then ring Mr Plod.

I've had my go off in the past, not for real but a fault, the neighbours contacted the police and they were there within 15 minutes, to me thats a good service and I certainly wouldn't call them cowards.

devonwoody":2au31av4 said:
Lord Nibbo":2au31av4 said:

Movement sensor alarms can be set off by mice, cats, spiders, even dust being blown about on a blustery night. False alarms all and very frequent, even 20 years ago.

Please don't refer to the Police Force anywhere as 'Cowards', not even in jest. They do a job that the majority of people wouldn't contemplate. They might not be like they used to be, but the fact remains, you might need them before they need you; unless you feel like becoming a Special Constable.

:x

Looks great!

On a side note, where do you get those pencils from that I think our wax pencils?

Had a fairly quite day in the workshop yesterday, I spent a couple of hours gluing up the lower side panels. I followed the advice of cleaning up the joints with acetone before gluing.
I was a bit worried about this process because never having glued rosewood before, I wasn't sure the joints were going to be strong enough.

I should not have worried because they turned out nice and strong.

IMGP2721.jpg

This morning I wanted to get the lower cabinet all glued together, this pic shows a dry fit of the two side panels and the back panel.

IMGP2723.jpg

When I did a dry fit a few days ago showing the drawer positions I had opted for a full length drawer at the bottom and the rest double drawers.
I had a long think about this and felt that for one thing the drawers were too deep, I had a height of 7" so that the planes would stand up. In the end I decided that I would go for a lesser height and have the planes lying on their sides, I just felt the deep drawers didn't look right.

IMGP2724.jpg

Tomorrow I've got a lot of cleaning up to do on the lower carcass, then I'll put the finish on before I start the drawers.

Latest posts

Back