Tool Cabinet - FINISHED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WhoooHoo! Your workshop looks like an advert for Festool Waka. :lol: I do like that Rosewood one of my favourites. Project is looking really nice keep the pics coming. :D

Looking good, and I must add, you do exactly the same as me. Once a joint is right it's labelled up so that it fits exactly the same come the glue up time!

joiner_sim":g6k1zziw said:
Looking good, and I must add, you do exactly the same as me. Once a joint is right it's labelled up so that it fits exactly the same come the glue up time!

I've made the mistake in the past where I've not marked them up and got into all sorts of difficulty. As this final fitting together is going to be like a jigsaw puzzles its essential, yo mark everything.

Coming along nicely, some suitable inspiration for getting off my buttocks and spending all day in the garage

Waka":onxcdamn said:
joiner_sim":onxcdamn said:

I've made the mistake in the past where I've not marked them up and got into all sorts of difficulty. As this final fitting together is going to be like a jigsaw puzzles its essential, yo mark everything.

Although I've used numbers in the past I found you can run out of numbers :lol: I found it easier just to run a line or maybe several lines through the work piece then if the several lines don't line up it's not the correct pieces for any one joint.

In this piece the marks were put on as soon after it was planed up and matched for best faces to show, then the slot was cut and the two pieces glued back together using my marks to align them.
3025179376_82080e2c37.jpg

Sorry for this big pic but you can't see the marks on a small pic
2871870795_47e681ffb5_b.jpg

I'm looking forward to how your going to position your tools within the cabinet such as those planes :lol: are any of your chisels going in it? if so I'm waiting to see that as well :D

LN

I'm planning to put all my hand tools in the cabinet. The plan is instead of having cupboards underneath I will have graduated drawers, these will take the bigger plans. Small plans and the odd chisel will be in the upper cabinet which will have drawers behind doors.
I'm trying to design the size so that I have some vacant space for further hand tool purchases.

Watch this space as I hope I can show a couple of Birdseye Maple panels sometime this week.

Waka, do you have more of the Rosewood? as it seems a shame to make a tool cabinet from it, even though it'll be a beautiful one? I know 2 guys who made items from it recently and the colour was amazing( and the smell) the got it with tenons already made on it, think to get round import problems.

Bloonose

I do have a nice little stash and to be honest I could think of nothing more fitting than to make a top quality tool cabinet from it.
Not sure how easy it is to get now, or where to get it, also I wouldn't like to pay the price.

I'd be glad to take some off your hands if you have no further ideas for uses :twisted: Looking forward to seeing the finished item :wink:

Waka":ejfe2qc0 said:
joiner_sim":ejfe2qc0 said:

The foolproof way to mark joints is to use a 3 or 6mm chisel to deeply mark the joints in Roman numerals, so the tenon is marked for one half of the joint and the mortise shoulder (in a smaller chisel) is marked for the other half...just remember that 'nine' is IX not VIIII :oops: - Rob

It seems like I've been doing M&T's forever, today I finally managed to do most of then all the styles, rails and stretchers have now been done.

This shows one side of the upper and lower side.
IMGP2717.jpg

At last I'm starting to make some constructive progress with a few of the birdseye maple panels.

IMGP2716.jpg

I think this gives a better view of what its going to look like, I think it looks stunning.
IMGP2715.jpg

Here I've just dry fitted one of the bottom side panels, didn't really get close enough to bring out the figuring, but you saw that in the previous pic.
IMGP2718.jpg

And here are the two lower side dry fitted.
IMGP2719.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to start assembling the lower section and start thinking about the drawers.

Hope you enjoy.

Waka looking great. Can I ask you did you buy the maple panels already veneered or did you do it yourself? If so did you use a vacuum bag to do it?
Thanks

noddy67":1cqa6jlb said:
Waka looking great. Can I ask you did you buy the maple panels already veneered or did you do it yourself? If so did you use a vacuum bag to do it?
Thanks

Noddy

I have to confess that I had the panels made, I did this for two reasons, the first being that I didn't have the vacuum press, and my skills at veneering are zero.
The second being that after buying all the kit, then the substrate and birdseye veneer it probably would have worked out more costly than having it made professionally.

So there you have it, I've come clean on the panels, all the rest I am doing myself honestly.

Latest posts

Back