Tonys new workbench - lots of photos

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

Well, a trip to Philly's and Yandles with Bean lately resulted in me buying enough beech for a bench top and enough oak for the legs and base.

I started hacking wood around as a hobby about 15 years ago (just working on houses back then) and my first bench (10 years ago) was made form MDF. Around 7 years ago I made my second bench from 3" thick pine which has served me well for all these years but tended to need a fair bit of maintenance work.

Well, here I am making what I hope will be my last bench and so I gave the design and construction a lot (too much??) thought.

I read everything I could find and studied every picture and bench I could. The final design came out at 34 1/2" high (pine one at 36 1/2 " was too high), 74" long and 26" wide. The apron is 4" deep. the legs are 4 1/2" * 3" English oak.

The tools tray is just under full width this time (2/3 last time) and is removable in 5 pieces to allow me to clamp from the rear more easily.

So, here is how I made it (started work 23rd December 2006):

I ripped all the stock to rough sizes and then squared up the sides with the LV jointer

Squaring_sides.jpg

Next I smoothed all pieces using the 4 1/2 - no sandpaper was harmed (or used :wink: ) during the making of this bench.

Smoothing.jpg

I decided to add feet to the lower cross-piece in case of uneven surfaces. Glued on.

Clamping_Feet.jpg

Next job was to cut 14 mortises in the legs and upper and lower cross-pieces using the hollow chisel mortiser - boring!!!

Cutting_mortises.jpg

I cleaned out the mortises with a mortise chisel afterwards as they are through mortises and the sides are not too clean or even from the hollow chisel tool.

Tidy_mortises.jpg

After that i could mark out the tenons and cut the shoulders on the tablesaw

Cutting_tenon_cheeks.jpg

And the faces on the bandsaw...

Cutting_tenon_faces.jpg

I cleaned the shoulder and faces and trimmed to a nice tight fit using the shoulder plane and skew block.

Tidy_Shoulders.jpg

Tidy_Faces.jpg

All tenons on legs completed and looking like this: (shorter tenons will be at bottom and are not through tenons). I used the draw-bore technique to secure the lower ones rather than wedging them.

All_tenons.jpg

As nearly all the tenons will be wedged, I made a guide block with a 5 degree slope and chiseled out the waste in the mortises to give a nice sloping face for the wedges to push the tenon faces against.

Cut_5_degrees.jpg

I cut some wedges at 5 degrees too - from an offcut of reclaimed mahogany that was lying around.

Cutting_wedges.jpg

Needed to cut into the tenons at 5 degrees too - ready to accept the wedges of course :)

Cut_for_wedges.jpg

I pre-finished all frame pieces using boiled linseed oil to help me when cleaning up any glue squeeze out.

Pre_finish.jpg

Legs were mounted into top and bottom rails using wedges and draw bore - no clamps used. For info I use Titebond III if you're interested.

Wedges_glued_in.jpg

Lower tenons draw bored - an offset hole through the tenon to pull the joint tight when a dowel is driven through

Draw_boring.jpg

Wedges were cleaned up with the 5 1/2 once everything was cured.

Cleaning_big_wedges.jpg

Next job was to do much the same with the longitudinal rails which were made from a 2" thick plank of poplar that I had saved.

Then final glue-up of the whole base assembly and an awkward clamping job!!

installing_cross-braces_2.jpg

installing_cross-braces.jpg

A bit of work with block plane once the glue was cured and the wedges look pretty good to me :wink:

Tenon_ends_cleaned.jpg

And the lower frame assembly is completed

Frame_completed.jpg

when youve got it made tony where are you going to put it ??
looks like your struggling for space there
nice work and an inspiring project , thanks
mel

So, on with the top.

I ripped the beech boards down to size and then jointed the edges dead on 90 degrees (no room for error here!). I also sprung the joints with a 0.5mm dip in the middle as one of the boards on my old pine bench shrunk over the last 6" and opened up the joint :roll:

Jointing_top_boards.jpg

Glued up and clamped the top boards (and a small piece at either end to form the end pieces of the tool tray) - I biscuit jointed all of them too as I find boards move around too much when clamping as the glue is very slippery.

Glue_up_top.jpg

I routed a tenon onto the ends of the bench top by running the router across the top and bottom of either end using a guide clamp. I left a bit of wood over-hanging and this was removed with a circular saw against the same clamp guide.

Routing_end_tenon.jpg

I decided to use a dovetail joint to hold the front and side apron pieces together. I decided on an uneven spacing (decorative) and cut the pins first.

Cutting_pins.jpg

I removed most of the waste with a coping saw

Pins_cut.jpg

And then finished the job off with a chisel.

Cleaning_pins.jpg

I marked the tails from the pin board and then cut as deep as I could using a DT saw to start the waste removal process. No routers used here as no room.

Sockets_first_cut.jpg

The rest of the waste is removed with various sized chisels - quite a job but I did rather enjoy it. Hand cutting dovetails gives me more pleasure than any other wood working task :shock: :lol:

Cleaning_socket_waste.jpg

After a while, they look like this

Dovetails_all_cut.jpg

I then routed out a mortise in the side apron pieces to fit on the end tenons in the bench top - used the router table and then cleaned ends with a chisel

Rabbett.jpg

I fitted the front apron piece with biscuits and the side pieces are bolted on with 3 coach bolts but no glue to allow the wood to move over the years. The tenon on the bench end is about 20mm shorter than the corresponding mortise in the side apron pieces.

Next I glued some pieces on to form the back and front of the tool tray

Tool_tray_clamped.jpg

Before fixing the top to the base, I mounted the main vice with the bench top upside down. Bolts through the front apron and coach bolts into a piece of oak bolted to the underside of the bench. I fitted a couple of cross pieces at this time too - for the base to bolt onto.

Vice_mounted.jpg

Here is the underside completed

Bottom_completed.jpg

I pre-finished the underside before mounting it on the base

Underside_pre-finished.jpg

I mounted the top to the base using 12 4" coach bolts. that won't come off :wink: :lol:

I flattened it using the LV jointer again. I was really dreading this as the old pine bench needed a LOT of work to flatten it (and every year too).
in the end, it was planed flat with the LV jointer in about an hour.
All it needed was two passes diagonally across the grain with a fairly course setting and then a few along the grain with a fine setting.

I literally couldn't believe my luck. I put it down to the care I took jointing the edges before glue-up and the biscuits registering everything nicely (or maybe the quality of that LV jointer plane :lol: ).

I checked for flatness using an engineering straight edge and found it spot-on (no light shining through gaps) and then checked for wind with my winding sticks. Again, spot on :shock:

Testing_for_wind.jpg

So, i just ran the ROS over it to finish the job off.

Random_orbit_sanding.jpg

really great job, those DT's look great

i need to build myself a bench for my new workshop and this has given me alot of ideas :D

cheers,
Jez

Well

This is where I am with it now.

I really only need to make and fit the tail vice - sometime :wink:

I ripped out my old bench to give me a bit more room to work in. The bench is in its final position now. I needed to make a vice jaw, so cut a piece of beech and routed out most of the waste freehand

Route_vice_face.jpg

Then cleaned it all up using a bevel edged chisel

Tidy_vice_face.jpg

I then gave it the first coat of boiled linseed a few days ago.

First_coat_of_finish.jpg

Next job was to drill some dog holes in the top - using a 20mm bit in a drill mounted on a super cheapo stand which was bolted to an MDF base with a little fence to help locate it and this was all clamped in place

Drilling_Dog_Holes.jpg

All dog holes finished

Dog_Holes_just_finished.jpg

I don't like metal dogs as i am always worried about the plane iron hitting one :cry: and so i have started to make a selection of wooden dogs on the lathe. Here is the first one

Made_first_dog.jpg

I tested it (first use of the bench!!!) and it works a treat :)

First_use.jpg

Earlier this evening I gave it the second coat of boiled linseed - warming the tone quite nicely.

Second_coat_of_oil_just_appliedl.jpg

WOW!

=D> =D> =D>

Impressive or what? In fact, it's almost good enough to mount that little red Rexon scrollsaw on (which you guiltily tried to hide with a cloth so we couldn't see how you were shamefully neglecting it).

:wink:

Gill

Thats a really nice bench--i always wished working in the trade that i had time to make one similar to that,it leads to an organized working enviroment.
once you get this shop stuff out the way then one can always start to think about designs & such--& start to be creative ---not having a comfortable working situation always dampens the creative spirit.

I've used wedged tenons myself before,from the pics you've shown--the one's i saw of the underframe?(not sure),you shouldn't wedge tenons so close to the ends,especially with oak(to brittle)it will eventually fail.Theres a massive tenon there(maybe a little oversize in width),usually the tenon should equate to a third of the recieving members width.so you have left a vulnerable weak spot at the top/bottom of the frame?.

the bench top is very nice.

regards .

Gill":1aa8ugm7 said:
In fact, it's almost good enough to mount that little red Rexon scrollsaw on (which you guiltily tried to hide with a cloth so we couldn't see how you were shamefully neglecting it).

:wink:

Gill

Oh you noticed that did you? :oops: :lol:

The poor thing could do with a bit of a workout and I do have 5 boxes to make for friends soon.....

By the way, happy birthday for last week :wink: :eek:ccasion4:

Shivers":3gjlux43 said:
I've used wedged tenons myself before,from the pics you've shown--the one's i saw of the underframe?(not sure),you shouldn't wedge tenons so close to the ends,especially with oak(to brittle)it will eventually fail.

I think I am OK with this as effectively, it is all one piece of wood as I put loads of glue in there and when the thing is hammered home, all wood surfaces are touching and the oak and wedge are 'one'. The mahognay will deform to fill any slight deviations in the oak cut, but the cuts were pretty much straight.

Theres a massive tenon there(maybe a little oversize in width),usually the tenon should equate to a third of the recieving members width.

Arrghh. I do know this but forgot in the heat (fun) of the build.

Hopefully it will not be too weak in the end

Cheers

TonyCrossedFingers

Tony,
Do you mean that instead of getting your web site finished you spent the past few weeks making that. I'm glad you did. Excellant.

Andy

Tony":1ye1sq9e said:
I think I am OK with this as effectively, it is all one piece of wood as I put loads of glue in there and when the thing is hammered home, all wood surfaces are touching and the oak and wedge are 'one'. The mahognay will deform to fill any slight deviations in the oak cut, but the cuts were pretty much straight
Yeah the frame looks very sturdy anyways--as an afterthought --maybe consider putting a peg through those tenons, the frame will last 200 yrs then vs 100 yrs,

regards.

Coo, proper job. =D> =D> =D> =D> But how are you going to bring yourself to really use it without having the urge to stroke it tenderly everytime you put anything (gently) on the top? :shock: Better take a chisel and get the worst over now... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back