Tongue and Groove Cutting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAW911

Established Member
Reaction score
Just about to cut lengths of tongue and groove in softwood using a trend router cutter. I read in the instructions to stagger the two cutters when cutting the tongue although I don’t recall doing that last time I used it. Should I set them at 90 degrees to each other or not bother?

I wouldn't think it makes any difference tbh. it's removing a really tiny amount. I like the spindle moulder euro ones as the block stays the same height between tongues and grooves. with a power feed it guarantees great alignment( as its pushing down. I like to do a deep groove then adjust the tongues to get the perfect "slack". which is probably more than you think on kiln dried l

Thank you. As I said I couldn’t remember staggering them last time. Also if you cut the groove first then it is easier to line up the two ‘tongue cutter’ blades when adjusting for the tongue cut when they are together (clear as mud?!)

Yes I plan to but haven’t given it much thought yet. I did it on the last t&g doors I made but that was a few years ago! I will post once I’ve remembered/worked it out again!

I think you set the cutters at 90 degrees to blance the tool. It may not be necessary.

Back