To Kent and back again. by TT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
Where to begin.

A trip up to Kent to see Jimi has been in the pipeline for quite sometime. It nearly happened a while ago however due to me not booking the hotel in advance we were unable to go. But finally, Last weekend, my partner Freya and I took our little skoda on a jolly gaunt to see tools, Wood work, Kent and of course Jimi and his lovely wife Annie.

Early Saturday morning we set off on my longest motorway journey since learning to drive. I was fairly nervous however it was smooth sailing the whole way there. Surprising considering it was a bank holiday. As we drove through Seven Oaks, trying to find the hotel we were spoiled by rolling hills and glorious sunshine. However, we had not read the booking instructions for the hotel so we ended up with 2 or so hours to kill before check in. After seeking Jimi's advice we were pointed in the direction of a BOOT FAIR! Of course! :D

I traveled over 100 miles to go to a boot fair in Kent! I thought they were good where i am, but now i can see what all the fuss is about! The grass truly is greener in Kent.This boot fair was huge, People all over the place! almost immediately after walking through the front gates i was greeted by a lovely Coopers Adze. Reading that it was only £2, i quickly snapped it up and put it in my bag. Ready for my next bargain. I bought a few more things including a 52 Record Vice and some other bits and bobs.

At around 2 ish we finally checked into our room and did all the normal things you do when in a hotel. Such as go straight for the teas and coffees and try the t.v. Knowing Jimi started work at 3 we made our way down for our first meeting. I was so excited to meet such a brilliant man. The minute I walked down the stairs I heard "TOBY" and instantly we began our two day long conversation about tools, woodwork and other wonderful things. There was no awkward start, we instantly fell into conversation.

Sunday!

Sunday morning was an early start. We had a tasty breakfast with jimi before going to his lovely home for the day. That is where it got interesting! The second we pulled up Alfie was at the gate calling for Jimi. He was so excited he was shaking. His welcome was the warmest most excitable welcome around.

As soon as we had got in the house Jimi and I were off. Talking about tools and plans for tools, Wood, Plans for wood... you all know how it goes. First and foremost was one of Jimi's famous coffees. By the end of the day I was so jacked up on coffee we had to stop a few times on the way home. But it was something special and I really recommend anyone visiting to try one. We left the ladies talking about lady things and carried on with our manly discussions. Stick two toolies in a room and what are they going to talk about? Tools! Beginning with Richard. Unfortunately it wasn't ready to take shavings however you can see how much hard work and effort has gone into this plane. I respect and admire Jimi completing this stunning plane to the utter best of his ability and doing so in the public eye. He has taken every step of this plane and put over 100% into it. I believe Richard would have loved it too.

2014-08-25%2013.49.28.jpg

We tinkered and tooled around, chattered and planed. I truly enjoyed myself. Freya loved Alfie and some how managed to get him to calm down on her lap towards the end. He wouldn't do that for me. Freya especially loved the observatory! It is amazing to have one in your back garden!

2014-08-25%2013.48.59.jpg

2014-08-25%2014.17.51.jpg

2014-08-25%2014.18.26.jpg

2014-08-25%2014.18.33.jpg

Alfie was offering his advice the whole way through.

2014-08-25%2014.19.27.jpg

2014-08-25%2014.19.33.jpg

2014-08-25%2014.20.07.jpg

2014-08-25%2014.24.17.jpg

Annie made us a spectacular lunch that was gone in seconds. She had even baked her own bread. I want to say a huge thank you for opening your home, workshop and observatory to Freya and I. We enjoyed ourselves so much we would love
to come and visit again. We would also love for you to come down here and see us for a bit. Let Alfie run along the beach.

All in all we had a fantastic time and thank you ever so much for your valued friendship!

Toby and Freya

Also a big thank you to Pete also a ukw member for the oak boards, when I'm
Next that way I'll be sure to pop over for a tea!
:)

Sounds like you had a great time and it was well worth the trip.

I'm not jealous honestly :mrgreen:

The Tomes/KT stunner well worth the trip on its own but what to look at next ? Now that wood be a serious dilemma Scottish infill, Isaac, three little castings, brass shoulder, the "Lump" ................. =P~ =P~ =P~

Is that Swagman's toothing plane you are test driving ?

What's the cool small mallet behind your head ?

Suffering from a serious bit of mallet envy at the moment grrrr Jimi.

Mr_P":2o21v4ua said:
Sounds like you had a great time and it was well worth the trip.

I'm not jealous honestly :mrgreen:

The Tomes/KT stunner well worth the trip on its own but what to look at next ? Now that wood be a serious dilemma Scottish infill, Isaac, three little castings, brass shoulder, the "Lump" ................. =P~ =P~ =P~

Is that Swagman's toothing plane you are test driving ?

What's the cool small mallet behind your head ?

Suffering from a serious bit of mallet envy at the moment grrrr Jimi.

Was one of the best weekends away I've had in a long time.
This thread dosent do my trip justice, the area is beautiful and jims tools are better. I held and played with the lot,
Lump is really a lump! Didn't think it would be so big, my fave is probally the slater :)
What I wouldn't do to own that baby.

For the record that toothing plane is excellent, I believe those irons can be purchased from Sheffield (I may be wrong) but they work very well.
The plane itself is very pleasing to the eye an to use, can't remember who made it but it's a keeper.

If you like mallets and hammer you wait till you see the limited edition "Richard /jim" plane hammer ;)

I could easily relive that day again tomorrow, no problem.

TT

Glad you had such a good time up here in the 'Garden'.
Hope you find a use for the boards - I'm sure you will.
Dropping them off at Jimi's place turned into one of the most enjoyable 'quick visits' I've ever made to anybody - the tools, the coffee, Alfie, the tools, Alfie, more coffee, more tools, more Alfie all wrapped up in Jimi's extreme enthusiasm for anything and everything that is beautifully made.

Before I start dreaming of a nubile Jenny Agutter and colonial werewolves running around in my garden...I think we will move on to the trip in hand.

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting Toby and his lovely partner Freya...I will just say that my faith that there are members of the younger generation out there willing to follow and carry on old traditional woodworking values and techniques, was hugely strengthened last weekend.

It was like spending the day with "Johnny Five"..."INPUT...MORE INPUT" and this guy's like a sponge...processing all this information for future use!

A couple of questions were asked..yes...that is indeed Stewie's marvellous toothing plane and yes..it works as good as it looks! Here we are seen taking turns to make another photo set log! The other side of the old burr elm...

The mallet...is this one...

DSC_0112.JPG

...a bootfair find back in November 2011!

Of course...you have to look beyond the chips and dirt....

DSC_0113.JPG

Now one of my most favourite bashing things! :wink:

I really don't do this often enough so if anyone is passing..feel free to drop in for some of Jamaica's finest (black not green!)....and meet ALFIE!!

Oh...and by the way...since Freya is in charge of the photos (taking and editing!)....I have to point out that her and ALFIE are now best buddies and this is probably why she did not show his rascally side...the shot AFTER pretending to be interested in Toby's planing....

2014-08-25%2014.19.35.jpg

....what he was REALLY after was nabbing the little wood off cut that Toby had recently cut off during a test of the Huntley Oak Japanese saw.

The sly git had his eye on that the moment it was cut off!!! :mrgreen:

I will say however that he does know the difference between inconsequential waste and "valuable part for project...."

.........at the moment!!! :mrgreen:

Cheers for posting Toby and Freya...it was fun and lovely having you visit.

Jimi (AND ALFIE!)

Back