Tiny Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orcamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
I turned this on Sunday from a small piece, but I am not entirely sure what the wood is. So if anyone can help it would be much appreciated?

It's so small I could only think it could be useful for dropping your rings or cufflinks into it!

The wood is very hard (even after sharpening my tools relentlessly) and I think it may be sycamore/maple?

All comments welcome!

thanks
HM

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

I'd guess Sycamore, Hawk Moth. :)

He's not 'tiny' though ... I have a bowl here, perfect in every way, turned by Graham Booth (Oldsoke) which is no bigger than the fingerprint pad of your middle finger in diameter :lol:

Its amazing how small you can go, with what would first appear as quite 'cumbersome' tools :lol:

Thanks Jenx!

I guessed it would be sycamore or maple, maybe hard maple, as it has a grey streak going across it.

Yeah well maybe not the smallest ever, but for me it it the smallest diameter bowl to date (apart from spindle work of course). I would be interested to see your Graham Booth bowl, or is it already on here somewhere?

cheers
HM

Jenx":13nnaegq said:
I'd guess Sycamore, Hawk Moth. :)

He's not 'tiny' though ... I have a bowl here, perfect in every way, turned by Graham Booth (Oldsoke) which is no bigger than the fingerprint pad of your middle finger in diameter :lol:

Its amazing how small you can go, with what would first appear as quite 'cumbersome' tools :lol:

Hawk moth, think this is a nice little bowl, and think also it's sycamore.
Would like it to see it with a lid, than you have a nice lidded box for small stuff like rings or whatever.
Did the same a time ago for my granddaughter, really nice for growing up young girls.
Ad

That is a nice looking bowl HM which is ideal for those small bits n bobs. :D
The top piccy looks like three in one,asif it's been cored.Looks good.
Looks like Sycamore to me.

Cheers Ad & Paul

Actually, funny you should mention a lid Ad, this is exactly what I was trying to achieve in the beginning, but the piece I had just wasnt quite thick enough and I had to cut if off! The other problem I had was that I used a face plate and had screwed too deep into the piece so that the lid and the top of the main body would have had holes in, d'oh! :oops:

thanks
HM

Ad de Crom":d7xkfhqm said:
Hawk moth, think this is a nice little bowl, and think also it's sycamore.
Would like it to see it with a lid, than you have a nice lidded box for small stuff like rings or whatever.
Did the same a time ago for my granddaughter, really nice for growing up young girls.
Ad

Paul.J":d7xkfhqm said:
That is a nice looking bowl HM which is ideal for those small bits n bobs.
The top piccy looks like three in one,asif it's been cored.Looks good.
Looks like Sycamore to me.

I think sycamore too. A nice little bowl, but I'm not a great fan of that type of foot I must admit.

Not a Graham Booth (Oldsoke) bowl, but a little one that I turned for a friend who's into 1/12th dolls houses. A couple of vases too. This has been posted before so sorry to all who have already seen it..

Miniyew2.jpg

Nice clean looking bowl and I think that it is sycamore as well though I haven't noticed sycamore being particularly hard.

Talking of 'tiny bowls' Graham (Old Soke) got me doing the miniatures as well. These are also 1/12th scale. Coin is a 50p for reference.

Pete

Well thanks for all your kind words chaps.

Now I see that my bowl is actually gargantuan!! :lol:

Those are some weeny turnings, amazing! I dont think I have the patience for that! Looks like you chaps have had some good get togethers, I see that Graham's website is also under recon, so will look back soon...

thanks for the info

Steve

Didn't we have a sort of unofficial competition some time ago making the smallest thing we could? Are these to scale John or just small?

pete

Bodrighy":3g8xupl1 said:
Didn't we have a sort of unofficial competition some time ago making the smallest thing we could?

Does sanding dust count? got plenty of that.

A little bit chunky, but apart from that fairly well to scale B.

I can supply the wine Chas. I think that I could afford 1€/litre for some very drinkable local wine and even stretch to 1.50 if you would like the wine to be from a local Château we know!!

1 /12th scale dust? This I have to see! You got a good macro lens Chas?

Back