Timber Yards In Kent, Need Recomendations.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoinerySolutions

Established Member
Reaction score
My current timber supplier is taking the proverbial. So need recommendations for a new one.
Due to economic downturn all my machinery is currently in storage so have been ordering timber machined to size for me to then make the goods. The trouble has been with being charged for over delivered timber and timber that has huge dead knots missing from it (a varnished handrail cannot have three areas of filler larger than a champagne cork in it!) Deliveries are missing items and/or arriving 7 hours later than advised. Picking one out of the Yellow pages is risky.
It is not all about the price, that seems to be creeping up, rather the confidence in getting what I need, when I need it. Quality of service, quality of product, after all that is what my clients expect.
So anyone have a diamond of a supplier out there?
Cheers Rob.

Morgan's in Rochester are very good. Where in Kent are you and how much do you need preparing?

Depends what you're looking for of course, but I've always had good service from Champion in Wimbledon - they have a branch in Bromley, I think??

Cheers, Pete

Champion do have a branch in Bromley. They're good but their timber is not as good as Catford Timber IMO.

Whilst not in Kent I highly recommend Catford Timber. I buy all my timber machined and they've never missed a beat. All perfectly dimensioned and good stuff. They also always ensure each length is long enough to enable and snipe etc to be cut off.

Thanks for the replies so far, I'm in the Canterbury area. I plan to take a drive round all the local yards and get a feel for them. If all else fails I will have to buy a portable p/t and machine stuff up on site.
Next job is a run of bedroom and bathroom oak cabinets.

Thanks Rob.

My parents come from down there (and I grew up there), I think my dad for hardwoods uses a yard on the road up from the A2 to Chartham Hatch, but I don't know anything more about them than that.

Jake":bnqfvrsm said:
My parents come from down there (and I grew up there), I think my dad for hardwoods uses a yard on the road up from the A2 to Chartham Hatch, but I don't know anything more about them than that.

These are the guys you are thinking of:
http://www.artisanoak.co.uk/

Not used them but they seemed helpful when I was scouring round for a timber supplier.

They look interesting, might have to drop in next time I'm down that way.

The one I was thinking of was Chartham Hatch, not Molash, first right after the bridge over the river coming out of Thannington Without on the A2.

Google-maps says that's Howfield Lane, and a google on that and timber and here you go: http://www.eastkenttimber.co.uk/contactus.htm

I don't know anything about them, apart from my father goes there now and then.

The one timber related company I can recommend highly in vaguely that area is French Timber Direct who are the other side of Ashford in the Tenterden direction. http://frenchtimberdirect.com/index.htm . Herve is a real character and their oak flooring is very good for the price, I used it in my kitchen diner as documented over the other side.

Jake":23q3ouxl said:
They look interesting, might have to drop in next time I'm down that way.

The one I was thinking of was Chartham Hatch, not Molash, first right after the bridge over the river coming out of Thannington Without on the A2.

Google-maps says that's Howfield Lane, and a google on that and timber and here you go: http://www.eastkenttimber.co.uk/contactus.htm

I don't know anything about them, apart from my father goes there now and then.

The one timber related company I can recommend highly in vaguely that area is French Timber Direct who are the other side of Ashford in the Tenterden direction. http://frenchtimberdirect.com/index.htm . Herve is a real character and their oak flooring is very good for the price, I used it in my kitchen diner as documented over the other side.

Ah ok, yes I know the one you mean now. I was after waney edge and they don't really do that kind of stuff there either.

Whilst I have not bought from the French timber direct guy I did try to meet up to see if I could buy la fair quantity of large waney boards and he was very rude. The exact phrase "people like you just cause me problems" was what just part of what he said. I guess he means small independents looking for good wood and that he can make more money milling it into floorboards rather than selling it whole. Obviously his choice but I get approached for numerous recommendations for things like flooring and well he probably will not get the best recommendation although he will get recommended as price is good for local collectin.
Sam

I use East kent Timber, but as I am only doing this as a hobby don't know about their delivery side as I am only 1 min drive from them. Always take their time even for the small amount I use. Worth a visit and a chat to them

Back