Timber suitability for bird boxes? / Timber i.d. (again!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalimna

Established Member
Reaction score
Deanston, a stones throw from the Distillery
Greetings folks,
Just a quick query - is cedar (Scottish grown) a suitable timber for constructing bird and bat boxes? My only concern is its resinous nature and odour. And the reason I ask is that I have a fair amount of it, offcuts, that I have no other use for.

Many thanks,
Adam S

Kalimna":am5sxp0s said:
Greetings folks,
Just a quick query - is cedar (Scottish grown) a suitable timber for constructing bird and bat boxes? My only concern is its resinous nature and odour. And the reason I ask is that I have a fair amount of it, offcuts, that I have no other use for.

Many thanks,
Adam S

I'll take it off your hands :wink: I'm only a short drive away in Livingston!

I should think that would be ideal. The only stipulation I've heard about is to avoid tantalised timber or wood with any other preservative treatment applied.

Ok, that seems fine, I'll give it a shot - afraid I'm not sure which subspecies it is, but fairly light and pungent when cut with wide-ish growth rings. It is also seems to be of low density, though I haven't measured it.

Penny - thanks for the offer, but I'm not done yet :)

Cheers,
Adam

I believe that you will have Cedar of Lebanon, which tends to have large knots.
My FIL, had one years ago, that was storm damaged, planked up and made all sorts of things including bird boxes.
There are members of the RSBP on here whom will tell us for certain on the suitability of western red cedar,
or cedar of lebanon for birdboxes.
Regards rodders

whiskywill":3ugeze8u said:
blackrodd":3ugeze8u said:
I believe that you will have Cedar of Lebanon,

Why not Thuja plicata/Western Red Cedar which, I believe, is more common in the UK?

But apparently not in scotland Whisky Will.
The title on the following article suggests that Cedar of Lebanon is more common that Western Red Cedar,
And also I have found Cedar Of Lebanon Tends to be knotty, and resinous, more so than Western Red.
The OP mentioned that his Cedar was quite resinous, so until he returns,...................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forestry_i ... ed_Kingdom
Regards Rodders

Thanks for the continued responses, they are appreciated.
On the timber I.d. Front, I'm going to stick my neck out and go with the Cedar of Lebanon, based on a quick google and above comments. It is paler than I would expect wrc to be, but I can post a photo later on.

Cheers again,
Adam S

From your description of 'widish growth rings', I was thinking cedar of lebanon. It is very aromatic and historically was used for drawers / wardrobes due to its moth repellant qualities. Itll be like a glade plug-in for birds!

Here in Canada, we use cedar, pine, redwood. But we are advised not to paint or varnish it.

I have a cedar bird box on the wall. I always thought it was the preferred wood for bird boxes.

blackrodd":27uz5339 said:
whiskywill":27uz5339 said:
blackrodd":27uz5339 said:
I believe that you will have Cedar of Lebanon,

Why not Thuja plicata/Western Red Cedar which, I believe, is more common in the UK?

But apparently not in scotland Whisky Will.
The title on the following article suggests that Cedar of Lebanon is more common that Western Red Cedar,
And also I have found Cedar Of Lebanon Tends to be knotty, and resinous, more so than Western Red.
The OP mentioned that his Cedar was quite resinous, so until he returns,...................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forestry_i ... ed_Kingdom
Regards Rodders
Not clear where that article says Cedar of Lebanon is more common in Scotland. Neither is particularly common from my experience, but the Lebanon version is almost exclusively a parkland tree. It's also notorious for dropping branches unexpectedly - there were two in the grounds where I used to work, and they were practically like trussed chickens with all the wires holding the branches up.

Ok, here are a few photos of the timber in question. The colour is not far from reality, though perhaps a little darker than it should be. The resinous exudate should be obvious in the shiny spots, and they are present in most of the boards I have left over. They sand easily away, however. I dont have a decent photo of the end grain unfortunately.

IMG_5571.jpg

IMG_5572.jpg

IMG_5573.jpg

Cheers,
Adam

Attachments

• IMG_5571.jpg
    IMG_5571.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5572.jpg
    IMG_5572.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5573.jpg
    IMG_5573.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 47
That'll be Cedar of Lebanon. many uses including drawer bottoms, as the scent helped keep the moths away.
excellent for many outdoor uses, and I believe has the same properties as Western Red Cedar.
It resists burning as in fire doors and will spit hot embers all over you're fireside rug, if you have one.
Really nice to use especially if you have just had a good old sharpen up
Regards Rodders

There are 3 true Old World Cedars, your boards are one of-

Atlas (Morocco and North Africa)
Lebanon (Lebanon and the Levant)
Deodar (out across to Northern India I believe)

I've probably milled bits from all of them, but never been able to tell them apart from the sawn timber.

There is a lovely way to identify them when growing, just look at the habit of the shoots and branches:

Atlas Ascends
Lebanon is Level
Deodar Droops

When you get into the New World temperate climate 'Cedars' there are absolutely loads- from the Thuja, Chamaecyparis, Juniperus genera. Westerns, Easterns, Reds, Whites, Pencil, Port Orford. Loads of them!

I'm only familiar with 3 species of cedar.
I've cut a fair bit of Cedar of Lebanon in the past,
The national trust requested yellow cedar, AKA Joinery pine, so loads of that and rarely a hint of a knot!
And of course Western Red Cedar, mainly for greenhouses and summer houses etc, and again, rarely see a knot.
Joinery pine, Western red cedar and, "clearer and better Douglas fir" and hemlock, were the finest and most expensive in our yard. I think this was all from Canada
Western red, yellow cedar and c&b Douglas fir came in at 4" thick, 16"wide and up to 30' long
Made a few windows and doors out of that lot. Rodders

Don't know if this helps,

Cedar.JPG

The two wide boards are Cedar Of Lebanon that I use for drawer bottoms, they're about 24" wide, near enough quarter sawn. The narrow board in the middle is Western Red Cedar. Cedar Of Lebanon is very aromatic (the workshop smells wonderful when it's being planed). Western Red Cedar...not so much!

Here's a close up,

Cedar 2.JPG

Attachments

• Cedar.JPG
    Cedar.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Cedar 2.JPG
    Cedar 2.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back