Timber framing.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it easier to drill a skewed pilot hole from the end of the stud through to the side, because the angle of attack is less. So your drilling and then screwing from opposite sides. You obviously have to do it before you position the stud!

mhannah":qw78ftfv said:
Thanks for all the replies!

So I tried skew nailing (and screwing!) last night - and it definetely makes for a much more secure join.

A couple of problems though (1) skew nailing - once the nail is most of the way in it becomes difficult to hammer any further without damaging the wood. Is a nail-punch the only solution here?

Good isn't it. Once you have two crossed skews, it is very strong even with flimsy nails.

You don't need to bash them until the head is touching, leaving them hanging a bit does no harm, apart from visual.

(2) skew 'screwing' - very difficult to get the screw-head flush with the surface - are there any tricks here?

Ditto

In general - I found it difficult to get the nail or screw started - it often just skidded down the timber.

Any tips or tricks?

Start the nail/screw horizontal just so it bites, then pull it down to the angle you want.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Got the first side framed-up this weekend - hopefully progress should be quicker now that I have the hang of it.

Lost quite a few drill bits to skewed pilot-holes though..

Back