Timber choice for workbench top.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests - what timber is best for a workbench top ????

I know Beech is the "traditional" choice, but any others??? I can get hold of some nice Iroko at a very reasonable price, but don't really know about its suitability.

Also, what thickness? I was thinking about 50mm (after thicknessing).

Cheers

Karl

Karl,

David Charlesworth has pictures of a very nice bench made form iroko in his first book, I have made mine to a similar style from ash, Good Timber had some in their sale (several years ago).

As the 50mm thick, I think its OK if your not going to pound mortises out by hand on table legs on top of it. However it may end up a little on the light side and need fixing down to stop it walking long the shop if you hand plane anything with lots of vigour. Could you laminate the 50mm stock vertically to produce a 4" slab for the top, nice and sturdy, lots of weight, very stable. 8)

Karl

In Chris Schwarz's article on bench flattening this month Practical Woodworker), he advocates regularly flattening the bench top and claims it takes around 1/2 hour (about right for mine), thus most close grained hard woods ought to be suitable

Hard maple is a popular choice in America I think. Moine is beech and I am very pleased with the wood and the cost (Yandles)

Traditionally, they seem to be made of Beech - I intend to (hopefully) use it myself for my own bench, some time this year. As far as hardwoods go, beech is quite easily affordable compared to many other species'.

I've also read, and have been advised at college, that 2-1/2" is an ideal thickness for a bench top. Not sure if this means having to plane down from 3" thick sawn stock or, as DaveL suggested, laminating several narrower lengths face-to-face (rather than edge-to-edge).

Do make sure you keep us up to date with your progress as well! :D :wink:

I used to work designing / planing kitchens and 50mm worktops where considered the dogs what's it's. Karl's suggestion of using Iroko is interesting, it's a beautiful wood and very durable. The size and colour scheme of your kitchen though should be taken into consideration. Beech or Iroko tops would hardly be pleasing if you have a dark colour scheme in the kitchen.

Karl, that would be interesting a workshop in your kitchen have you O.K'd this with SWMBO :lol:

Harry.

Karl,

What is traditional? and what is local?

Traditional to UK is Beech and traditional to the US is Maple.

Personally I'm still a student and i'm making my bench from Beech. The main reason because it's on the cheaper end of timber. IE. around £10-15 cheaper per cube than maple.

What i have gathered from research, is thicker the better :)
My bench will be 80mm thick, laminated from many 2" beech boards.

Hope this helps, cheers :D

Forgot to mention Iroko might be cheapish....however there is also a health risk!!

You might want to research this before you use!!

Beware as i ripped 2" thick with no extraction and it caused, everyone in the workshop to cough and sputter for the next half hour!

BTW... It was me who complained to the college about having extraction before i made the cut!

i know this is not what your after but..... i much prefer 25mm birch ply for a top. i just love to have a dead flat surface on which to work end of. if you do a lot of hand planing/mortising a hefty bench is needed, mine is mostly for assembling and fitting.

OK, just to clarify a few points

The bench is mainly for hand planing and chopping of joints.

I know that thicker is better, and may have to go the vertical lamination route.

I intend to make it 18" deep, with a removable tool well behind (ala DC style).

Iroko - yes I have read quite a bit about the "side effects" - may give it a miss.

Should also point out that the top will be 8' long.

And no, it isn't a kitchen worktop.............

Cheers

Karl

Talking of kitchen worktops though, why not use a kitchen worktop?

Scandinavian Pine in Winsford do 4m lengths of 40mm laminated oak or beech worktop for £200 + VAT

I reckon that would do the job just fine, would stay flatter than a homemade one, and would be cheaper.

Just a thought...

Dan

seanybaby":2j0qpsnf said:
What i have gathered from research, is thicker the better :)
My bench will be 80mm thick, laminated from many 2" beech boards.

Hope this helps, cheers :D

Thats exactly how I built mine 2x4 on edge

249121232_40f3c78e5f_o.jpg

252205955_1a72b8f57f_o.jpg

271404804_82b85114b8_o.jpg

hi there lord nibbo,
do you have a plan for that bench, I am just about to make one for my new workshop and like the look of yours!
cheers,
Dru

druster":8djm70iu said:
hi there lord nibbo,
do you have a plan for that bench, I am just about to make one for my new workshop and like the look of yours!
cheers,
Dru

If you do a search for it under the Projects forum, you should be able to find the entire Work-In-Progress for it.

druster":ysyq4yky said:
hi there lord nibbo,
cheers,
Dru

I never made it from plans. I did use sketchup for the initial idea and to measure up how much wood I needed. As OPJ has said there is a thread on the making of it. :)

Jimbo!":1rcd9fmo said:
lovely bench that, but where are the piles of cr@p all over it - or is that just mine!!!
No your not the only one, just look at the background in this pic, the overrun of rubbish even extends to cover the table saw too. :lol:
474414039_566c698a72.jpg

My current allround workbench is of 50mm pine with a skirt around is of 100mm thick. It's finished with a clear polyurethane because the bench is mostly used a lot for greasy metal work. The bench has now got about 4 years intensive use on it and holds up much more then I initially expected.

Back