tiling the porch roof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markblue777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
started to tile the roof and running into a bit of an issue and not sure what to do. So I have put the eave tiles down on there batten (Im using 19mm battens). and then when I put the second row of tiles on to meet the bottom of the eaves tiles the notches on the back of the tiles do not hook on the batten and to get to hook on it kicks the tile up to an angle. do I need to use 25mm battens to get around this issue after the initial 19mm used for the eaves? or is there another way around this issue.

Cheers
Mark

Hi - are these normal plain tiles - can you tell us which type? Have you got a fascia board or batten to raise the bottom end of the eaves tile (they need to be about two inches above the rafter where they oversail the rafter end)? Sometimes I put the batten on edge directly above the eaves row so the first row of full-size tiles sits on a (thinner, up the roof) batten on-edge. Cheers, W2S

Hi Woody,
they are clay tiles acme written on them (made by Marley i believe).
similar to this
Acme%20Single%20Camber%20Plain%20Tile%20Mixed%20Brindle%20309%202.jpg

I have a fascia board fitted so are you saying to raise the fascia board so it lifts the eaves tiles up to meet the first layer of full tiles as one option?

or another way is the batten behind the eaves tile turn it on edge so it is in effect 38mm high then put the second layer on that (so attached to 19 mm side) and then the battens after put them down the correct way with the 38mm side laying flat with the 19mm facing up to the sky as it were)

Cheers
Mark

bit more info,

so I tried turning the second batten up so it is the 38mm high and it makes the tile cover the eaves but then changing the battens back to the 19mm high the third row of tiles does not sit as it raises the front of the tile up (so basically what is happening now with the eaves and second layer get moved up to the third row when turning the batten.

the eaves tiles look like so

IMG_20151114_105950689_zpsisygt5u9.jpg

with the batten flat (not on edge) like the first one if the second tile is pressed so it meets the batten this is what i get

IMG_20151114_110008797_zpscpvecv7w.jpg

Cheers
Mark

Mark its not complicated really when you lay a tile on a roof only the top of the tile sits on a batten the bottom of the tile sits on the tile below. The first tile to sit on the roof ( the tile on the eves) doesn't have a tile to sit on at the bottom so to bring it up on the edge of the spar you put two battens ( one on top of the other) so this lifts the tile back in line with the rest of the roof. HTH.

So the two battens on the bottom of the eves tile so that tile rest on them at the bottom and hooks over the one at the top and is nailed to it as normal

Cheers
Mark

Cheers billy,
ok i will take the eave tiles off that i got down already and have a try and see what happens.

cheers
Mark

Sounds like you're getting there - have you got some underlay under the tiles (not obvious from your pics) and have you got a plan for doing the verge detail at the front? W2S

Hi Mark

What Billy said but remember that you need to route your underlay over the bottom support batten / facia so the tile sits on it otherwise you'll create a block where any water would pond instead of running out into the gutter. It's good practice also to fit a thin ply board or similar (you can get proprietory profiles also) to support the underlay between facia and first tile fixing batten.

Easier to do than explain but I can find some sketches if you need them.

Bob

EDIT: Just had a very quick look and not the best examples but might explain.

Attachments

• FV25-CAD.jpg
    FV25-CAD.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 71
  • felt-tray.jpg
    felt-tray.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 72
Ah yeah that dam thing makes sense doh. Glad I only done one side bottom layer of tile now. Will take off and pull that over

Yeah I have the breather membrane woody

Cheers
Mark

Back