Tiling An Alcove En-Suite Shower On A Budget

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedmc571

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All

Just removed tiles from an ensuite in a 10 year old house.
The tiles were just directly on to skimmed plasterboard, their was no problems found in the shower area alcove, and I'm wondering now that I've prepped the walls should I just do it again with quality adhesive and grout.

I know purists will be outraged and point me towards tanking/Bal WP1 but I'm afraid I just can't afford it.
If anyone can suggest some easy and I don't want to say cheap, more so less expensive ideas, I'm all ears, and no cash :(

Regards

Jed

Is it just ordinary plasterboard ?
If so,might be better replacing (or overboarding,if you don't mind loosing the space) with aquapanel/wediboard or similar.

Does cost money,though,sorry :(

Andrew

Well I always rip out the plasterboard, replace with Aquapanel and then tank, but then again I don't do budget bathrooms :wink:

If using a reasonable size tile then you should get away with a decent grout such as BAL Superflex. If using a small tile, Mosaics or a very high pressure shower then tanking is really a must as no "waterproof" grout will stop water it just means it will not deteriorate when wet.

Jason

Epoxy will, and its nothing like as difficult to use as the pros make out.

Wedi and equivalents are better than Aquapanel btw. The former are waterproof, the latter doesn't stop water getting through it, it just won't crumble when damp.

Epoxy grout - it's plastic rather than cement-based.

It's a bit more difficult to apply, but any good tile shop should have some in stock but they will look at you as if you are a weirdo. Pros hate it because it takes a little work than wipe on/wipe off. You have to let it set up a bit (10-20 mins) and then scrub over the tiles with a wet scratchy pad (like a big version of a green pot scourer) to turn the setting epoxy into an emulsion. Then you can wipe it off with a sponge (which gets ruined in the process), and finally polish up with a cloth (which you would have to do with a normal grout anyway, a bit more elbow grease maybe).

It costs more than normal grout, though. Probably about £40 for enough for a shower (well more, but you have to buy a whole can).

'scuse my ignorance but what exactly is involved in tanking?

Cheers

You lay up the walls with a polymer modified (waterproof) cement mixture over fibreglass mat. It makes a waterproof layer over, eg, plasterboard or plywood.

Wediboard is a polystyrene board which is effectively pre-tanked on both faces, to give it added strength and complete waterproofness - you just need to tank the joins. More expensive, but dead flat and quicker to fix etc.

oh dear....in 28 years as a tiler i have never used tanking. The only time i would even consider it would be if the walls were very bad and it was in an upstairs shower. Anyway..enough.
Just get waterproof adhesive, i recommend Bal or Biscem or Nicobond etc. Make sure it says for showers. I havent come across any grout that isnt suitable for domestic showers in the last 15 years.
Best advice is too stick to branded name and no i dont mean B&q and evostick.
As for the Epoxy grout dont bother, yeah i know whats been said but its rubbish. Even the reps say it is. Only real use is in food prep area such as work surfaces.

Back