Ticknesser scuffing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crispier

Reaction score
I was using my thicknesser today and it started to scuff the wood. I replaced the blades a few weeks ago and all was well until today, I've put softwood and hardwood through, cleaned the blades, reset them to no avail. I've added a photo to show the problems, anyone know the solution to this?

Attachments

• IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 179
the dreaded tearout.

Blunt blades I would guess. How much has gone through them since changing them?

Crispier":31bunnbs said:
I replaced the blades a few weeks ago

There's your problem right there.

I'll sharpen my hand planes after about 15 minutes of actual planing, and I'll change my planer knives after about 90 minutes of actual operation.

Really as simple as that? #-o Its a pain the buttocks changing the blades on my thicknesser too. Oh well.

Thanks for the replies.

I bought a one way multi gauge which makes the job much easier.

Was this happening with other bits of wood as well? The piece of softwood you show looks as if it could have some reaction wood in there, this can be in the form of very soft/rubbery grain that is almost impossible to machine.

Actually went out and tried planing some Ash and it was fine, perhaps its just the cheap pine. I'll put some more through in the morning. Cheers Chrispy.

Chrispy":qf32xvqr said:
Was this happening with other bits of wood as well? The piece of softwood you show looks as if it could have some reaction wood in there, this can be in the form of very soft/rubbery grain that is almost impossible to machine.
I would say that crispy has got it in one! very soft wood with a very controversial grain, which ever way you go. regards Rodders

Friend of mine made up 3 shelves from some very cheap (free) carcasing iif thats the correct term timber and asked me to run them through my p/t, i had the same problem with tearout even with brand new blades, put various other offcuts through to test with no problems at all.

Not meaning to sound belittling, but did you feed the timber in the correct way? The grain will machine better in one direction than the other. Obviously around knots and areas of alternating grain, breakout is inevitable.

Thanks

Alex

Back