Throat plate for table saw mitre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradleyheathhays

Established Member
Reaction score
We've got a Powermatic model 66 in the shop and I'm in the process of cutting our new throat plate for both straight and 45 deg mitered cuts. I made the straight up and down, 90 deg, cut no problem so now I'm faced with making the 45 deg cut. I can't imagine this is done the same way the 90 is...by just raising the blade straight up through the plate.

How do you go about making this 45 deg cut in a throat plate?

I've not come across someone breaking through an insert at anything other than 90,
so cannot advise.
So went to look around for someone who needed ZCI at 45, on a tablesaw.
Steve Latta comes to mind, as the offcut is of as much importance as the rest.
A sled works for him, but worth noting his stock is only ever about 3 feet or so,
well, I don't think he mentions making longer forms than that.

That's about the closest I've seen regarding that.
Screenshot-2023-7-31 Preview of Fundamentals of Inlay Making Ornamental Bandings With Steve La...png

I did likewise and built a 45* sled. Being a sled running in both slots it also does a better job than just the miter gauge. The sled only has a rear fence and the kerf goes all the way to the front so its set the blade at 45 and slide up the sled.
Regards
John

If I set my saw to 45 deg and lift the blade the 45 deg cut gets deeper so I imagine it should work just the same as making a 90 deg breakthrough cut. It's hard to explain but when you cut deeper at 45 deg it's still cutting on the same line, it's not like the whole blade lifts vertically which would be a problem.

I have no experience of a Powermatic 66 or using an insert never mind breaking through one so don't know why I'm commenting therefore take my advice with a pinch of salt.......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back