Three phase converters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazylilting

Established Member
Reaction score
My old shop had three phase electricity so all my equipment is three phase. The new shop does not have three phase so i've bought a three phase converter to retro-fit so i can use my equipment.

Has anyone done this? If so some pointers would be helpful. The converter needs a 40 amp service and reading the manual it also needs a few things i've not heard of.

One is a NFB power supply switch

Electromagnetic contactor

An AC reactor

and an Input noise filter

If anyone has some pictures of their set up it would be helpful.

I've also learned that you can get some remote POT's to change the motor speeds which seems like a good idea for the lathe and the spindle moulder. Has anyone used these?

Thanks in advance

crazylilting, Where did you purchase the 3PH unit from, is it solid state or rotary? a good supplier should have all the support literature for correct installation.

Is it 230 volt output or 415volt, are all your motors capable of being changed to delta if it is 230volt?

There are strict rules on connecting high power 1ph to 3ph solid state convertors, especially ones generating 415Volt output. You may need authority from your supply company to connect it if it is above a certain rating and they will want proof of filters etc. installed to prevent harmonics from causing problems on the local supplies and other peoples equipement.

The penalties for not complying can be high.

In addition to CHJ comments which I fully endorse, you need to think carefully about running multiple machines from an Inverter.

I say inverter because you mention speed control so it is not a converter in the commonly used jargon on such things.

You should only run one motor at a time on an inverter and ideally it should be re-programmed to suit that motor. Clever programming operator panels can do this.
If for example you have meaty spindle moulder with a light weight feed motor then you can't usually run both at once.

You also need to guard against ever disconnecting a motor from the inverter without first switching off the inverter which means wiring the controls on every machine back to a common point to control the inverter rather than the local machine. If you are using speed control pots (potentiometers) locally then you will be running some wiring back to the inverter anyway.

I'm guessing that really for what you want to do (apart from speed control) a rotary converter might be a better solution with lower power inverters on the one or two machines that need variable speed.

Either way, I would suggest professional advice.

HTH

Bob

If you need to get several inverters, you might also want to get a quote to have 3-phase installed in the new workshop, it might not be all that different. Some people have said is is quite cheap, other that it costs thousands.

what type of inverters do you have? Are they digital? Whats the KW's on them?

Edit: ooops miss read that i thought you had some. I have one that will do the whole lot. Was just wondering if anyone had set their shop up with one, a picture is worth a thousand words especially when you can't read lol...

Back