Threaded pipe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Mellin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have purchase some pipe clamp ends to make pipe clamps. One end of the pipe has to be threaded for the clamp to work. The pipe required is 3/4 inch O/D. Does anyone know a reasonably priced supplier of such pipe. I'm looking for 3 meter lengths. 12 lengths in total. Any hints much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Ian

The pipe required is 3/4 inch O/D.

Is this something you have measured yourself or have perhaps misread from the instructions?

Please link to the product you have bought.

There is no standard pipe that is 3/4" outside diameter nor any standard pipe thread that is 3/4" diameter.

Pipe, because it generally has stuff flowing inside it, is specified by its nominal INSIDE diameter. Thus a 3/4" pipe will be nominally 3/4" plus two wall thicknesses outside diameter. A 3/4" nominal pipe would use a 3/4" BSP thread, see table below for thread major diameters.

https://v-flowsolutions.co.uk/british-pipe-threads/
Galvanised pipe does not work well with the non-threaded part of the clamp (that grip the pipe) as the galvanising is 'slippery'. Black pipe is better for the application. Clearcoat it for corrosion protection if needed.

I purchased 1.3m black pipe lengths from an Ebay supplier uniquefurniture2000. Unthreaded both ends (about £12.50 per pipe inc p&p) but I think you can easily find threaded for sale from them. There are of course other merchants.

The two gotchas I found when working this all out was what pipe diameter I actually needed and what sort of thread. My cheap pipe clamps were ¾", but this turned out to reference the internal diameter, not outside diameter. I then discovered there are different standards for the same thread piches. If I recall there's an American standard and a UK imperial standard (don't quote me on that fact, just be aware of it) The thread you cut on the pipe needs to match the thread in the pipe clamp. Again, my cheap clamps needed the American thread (NPT ???). So then needed an appropriate thread cutter. Purchased a ratchet set with a number of different sized dies under the Vevor brand. Maybe £30‐35 online.

Overall if you're only making a couple of lengths of pipe probably cheaper to purchase pre threaded.

I don't know enough about thread pitches to know if the different thread standards makes a difference when actually screwing together. Maybe they fit ok, maybe not.

Have fun working it all out!

Mike

I would get a mid priced pipe threading kit and some cutting paste . There are numerous online suppliers of steel tube of every diameter and and the better ones will supply 3 mtr lengths . Then thread your own ends as reqd . The Chinese imports are cheaper but as mentioned tend to be galvanised and a bit rough . Used to be a company called g f fittings and tubes but not Shure if they still trade . They did 1/4 1/2 3/4 inc tube etc and fittings to match ..

Edit I believe the thread was eg 3/4 b s p

GF Fittings​

To make the connection right, Georg Fischer Fittings supplies threaded fittings and compression fittings made of malleable cast iron for demanding applications.
Show Products

Founded in 1833 by Georg Fischer, the plant in Traisen/Austria, produces pipe fittings that have proven themselves for more than 150 years in demanding applications such as gas or drinking water installations in buildings. More than with any other product GF has shaped the craftmanship in piping construction with the malleable cast iron fitting and its thread connection. The extensive range of fittings enables maximum efficiency through the minimum number of fittings and joints.
Simple installation and assembly
Primofit compression joints are simply tightened with a wrench, while malleable cast iron fittings are precision-engineered to ensure a tight fit.
Safe and resistant
Manufactured from high-quality, easily galvanizable cast metal, the material guarantees a long service life and reliable function of the fittings.
When quality is required
Whether material or construction: The production facility in Austria meets the highest demands and supports customers all over the world with technical support.
150 years of expertise in fittings
Thanks to their 150 years of experience, Georg Fischer Fittings is able to design and manufacture with the user in mind.

Products​

Malleable Cast Iron Fittings

GF Fittings​

To make the connection right, Georg Fischer Fittings supplies threaded fittings and compression fittings made of malleable cast iron for demanding applications.
Show Products

Founded in 1833 by Georg Fischer, the plant in Traisen/Austria, produces pipe fittings that have proven themselves for more than 150 years in demanding applications such as gas or drinking water installations in buildings. More than with any other product GF has shaped the craftmanship in piping construction with the malleable cast iron fitting and its thread connection. The extensive range of fittings enables maximum efficiency through the minimum number of fittings and joints.
Simple installation and assembly
Primofit compression joints are simply tightened with a wrench, while malleable cast iron fittings are precision-engineered to ensure a tight fit.
Safe and resistant
Manufactured from high-quality, easily galvanizable cast metal, the material guarantees a long service life and reliable function of the fittings.
When quality is required
Whether material or construction: The production facility in Austria meets the highest demands and supports customers all over the world with technical support.
150 years of expertise in fittings
Thanks to their 150 years of experience, Georg Fischer Fittings is able to design and manufacture with the user in mind.

Products​

Malleable Cast Iron Fittings
They are still made and sold by several pipe and fittings company’s just need to source your pipe

Again, my cheap clamps needed the American thread (NPT).

I don't know enough about thread pitches to know if the different thread standards makes a difference when actually screwing together.

In the two likely sizes for pipe clamps, 1/2" and 3/4", US and ISO (BSP) pipe threads are the same pitch. The only difference is in thread form and for something as rough as this, it makes no difference. Hence, in this application, there is no need to worry. It is also why the clamps are made in these sizes - one thread will suit every part of the world into which the item is sold.

-----

Fischer are the Rolls Royce of pipe and fittings. Good quality but fierce expensive.

BSS list price is expensive. Red oxide pipe is not the best to use with clamps as the paint will transfer to your work.

Avoid pipe from furniture and trendy industrial light fittings people. It is of base level quality, but sold at gold-plated prices. In particular, they only tend to stock the thinnest wall pipe and cut the threads very loose. That is fine for a decorative lamp but for a clamp bar that needs some stiffness and will have significant tension on the threads, it is not the best.

JTM Plumbing are good value. They will sell threaded pipe in 100mm increments. Buy some shorter lengths (e.g. 1.5m, 1m, 0.3m, 0.2m) and threaded couplers to join them together. The Gucci version is to buy some extra couplers and remove the threads from them so they slip over the pipe and give a level surface.

https://www.plumbingsuperstore.co.u...h-required-via-email-or-telephone-p24356.html
If you do go the thread-your-own route, cheap pipe threading kits are horrible things. The other challenge is holding the pipe while you cut the thread. Clamping in a vice may not work. Two half-round jaws, possibly lined with abrasive paper will enhance the grip.

It’s a shame you’ve already bought the ends, I would suggest that pipe cramps ( or clamps if you are Americanised) are a pain and you would do better with Record type Sash Cramps, they are regularly up for sale on Marketplace etc, probably work out cheaper in the end as well.
Ian

It’s a shame you’ve already bought the ends, I would suggest that pipe cramps ( or clamps if you are Americanised) are a pain and you would do better with Record type Sash Cramps, they are regularly up for sale on Marketplace etc, probably work out cheaper in the end as well.
Ian
Ive found my Bessey versions to be excellent, and enable you to have a single clamp of up to 6m if you wanted, and are easily joined together. I wouldn't swap them for sash clamps

Red oxide pipe is not the best to use with clamps as the paint will transfer to your work.
Never had a problem with them, quite often put thin blocks under neath to stop any harm, I quite often make big frames so long clamps are essential:

clamping.jpg frame.jpg

cheap pipe threading kits are horrible things
For how many time I've used mine its been fine, clamping to hold the pipe is a bit of a pain but still doable in any vice.

It sounds like you have the lighter duty clamp heads. 3/4" O/D pipe is in fact 1/2" gas barrel as the pipe is sold by the bore size. It comes in black or galvanised. Plumbers merchants may stock it but I sourced my [larger] pipe from a metal merchants, in lengths of 6.3m, I think. My plumber friend lent me his die set and I threaded the pipe in the cut lengths of my own making, at 1m and 1.5m. In 20+ years of use I've not had any problem with the claws on the tail ends slipping on the galvanised pipe I've used.

Colin

I have no firm info to add to all the above; but a comment:

Are you SURE you can't get both bore sizes, black or galvanised, with or without threads (BSP) plus T's, elbows, straight connectors, etc at any DIY store in UK???

If so I'm surprised - here in Switzerland you walk into any Jumbo, CoopHobby, or Migros Do-It (all v similar to UK B&Q, Homebase, etc, etc) and there are racks of pipe and drawers full of fittings. Prices are not unreasonable either.

The pipe was used here a lot in water systems in the past but gave way to copper and in the last few decades plastic. It is used extensively for natural gas piping too but some portions are being replaced with flexible stainless stuff. It is stocked pre-threaded in the various Borg stores and small lumber yards. Most every plumber has it along with the requisite power threading machines so it isn't hard to find. When I started woodworking in the 70's Jorgensen Pony clamp heads were the predominant brand (had been for many decades) and most all small cabinet shops and hobby woodworkers used them. I have at least 20 pipe clamps in the shop. Bar clamps like the Bessey K-body types are seen more because that is what everyone sees in the magazines and youboob videos so that's what they buy. Naturally people look at pipe clamps nearly last but they are still very versatile and useful. Some of my pipes came from scrounging around houses being demolished. Can't beat that kind of price. It being hard to find is more of a British thing. 😉

Pete

I would also say trying B&Q or plumbase (is that right? Been a while since I crossed the channel). Take one of the heads with you, find their pipe area, check the fit with a short piece. I got all of my pipe clamp heads from Home Depot during various visits to the US, and I buy all my pipe in Obi, so, at least for me, there was no thread difference issue. You will also then get a good idea what is available in terms of extenders.

Hello,

I have purchase some pipe clamp ends to make pipe clamps. One end of the pipe has to be threaded for the clamp to work. The pipe required is 3/4 inch O/D. Does anyone know a reasonably priced supplier of such pipe. I'm looking for 3 meter lengths. 12 lengths in total. Any hints much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Ian
You need to google 1/2" bsp iron pipe.

Back