Thoughts on this project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would get some rosewood or similar, make a new top and tell her that you butchered it up getting the elephants out so you made her a new one. You could also tell her the wood is on the Cites list (even if it isn't) and is unethical too so you made a new top out of walnut. Keep the top for someone that likes it. Is she going to go out and destroy all the old pianos because they used Ivory to make the keys? :rolleyes: To many twits on the planet. 😉

Pete

Adding there are some easy tests you can do to see if it is the real thing. Ivory : Genuine, Fake, and Confusing
Thanks Pete I’ve had the magnifying glass out and as best as my amateur eyes can tell me along with the provenance of the top I’m pretty sure it’s ivory and it’s in their house unlike the pianos. It’s from when her mother and father taught at a Kenya University so cherished as they are both now dead. So I understand the need to keep it. All the other stuff I understand but everyone has their own story.

Ethical considerations aside, as other posters have noted it is probably held in with animal glue, and should easily come away with heat or steam. The pieces are very small so they might even be be bone, rather than ivory.
For a project I worked on, a few years back, I looked into ivory alternatives, and there were quit a few. Tagua nut (vegetable ivory) , being one. I made quite a convincing, cast polyester resin for my project , but some sort of plastic veneer/ piano key top, would probably be easier or you to work on, and apply.

Ethical considerations aside, as other posters have noted it is probably held in with animal glue, and should easily come away with heat or steam. The pieces are very small so they might even be be bone, rather than ivory.
For a project I worked on, a few years back, I looked into ivory alternatives, and there were quit a few. Tagua nut (vegetable ivory) , being one. I made quite a convincing, cast polyester resin for my project , but some sort of plastic veneer/ piano key top, would probably be easier or you to work on, and apply.
Super thanks. I’ll investigate that. Yeah I didn’t want to get into the ethics etc but some of the contributors here just couldn’t help themselves. I understand why as I had similar thoughts but I’ve long given up offering my views.

Super thanks. I’ll investigate that. Yeah I didn’t want to get into the ethics etc but some of the contributors here just couldn’t help themselves. I understand why as I had similar thoughts but I’ve long given up offering my views.
Re the table - it is, what it is; but there are some quite convincing substitutes for ivory, that you could use. Some are based on casein and are layered-up to look the part. Galalith is one, as well as Elforyn ( though I'm not sure if the latter is casein based)

You have the advantage of only needing thin veneers, whereas I found, that I had to use cast polyester, as I needed big lumps as well as the thin veneers. And this was the only material, I could find, where I could have both. Using different plastics for each part, might well have have given rise to a mismatch in colour, especially over time

Best of luck

How thick is the top? I would heat the bottom to soften the glue and then prise out, or, drill a hole(s) from the bottom to push the elephants out, if you want them intact.

I would personally fill with black epoxy and have a silhouette effect, and not faff with recreating the details. It will look nice in black.

How thick is the top? I would heat the bottom to soften the glue and then prise out, or, drill a hole(s) from the bottom to push the elephants out, if you want them intact.

I would personally fill with black epoxy and have a silhouette effect, and not faff with recreating the details. It will look nice in black.
I like simple but I have a number of options to explore 🙏

How about just being honest, taking a stand against rampant wokeism, and refusing point-blank?

Reactions: J-G
How about just being honest, taking a stand against rampant wokeism, and refusing point-blank?
I am being honest I don’t care what other people have in their house. As it’s family I suggested they sell it but it was handed down by her parents after they both died of cancer a short period apart. She lived in Africa as a child whilst the parents worked in the university so it’s got sentimental significance. They have no other ivory in their home, someone asked about the source well I’m guessing it’s a dead elephant. But back to my original point I don’t care I just wanted practical advice.

Sorry I'm unable to offer a way to substitute these elephants with something else. I'm sorry you're unable to convince them to keep as is.

Although I can (and do) understand the 'ethics' of *today* in respect of the use of ivory, I also can't help but feel sad that your wife's cousin wants to destroy a *cherished piece of furniture* with links to her parents and their time in Kenya. Removing the elephants will totally change the table and break/destroy that link - never to be regained. The parents obviously loved it as it presently is.

Let’s finish this thread here. I appreciate the thoughtful contributions on the merits of removing ivory. If it were a paid commission I’d probably pass it along but it isn’t and knowing the family member the assumptions about the motive aren’t accurate. The help on hide glue, process and alternatives was great thanks all.
Next time I’ll choose something less controversial like self identification 🤣
E5EE55B5-C545-4F24-B041-BA906606ABA2.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back