Thoughts on Ash?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefreeman0

Reaction score
Hi I've got easy access to Ash that I can tell and have access to a mill to process I to boards myself. Has anyone any thoughts on using it for a workbench? Thinking it could be a good way to get decent sized hardwood for a hefty bench without breaking the bank...

I made my bench about 25/30 years ago. The main frame is ash, about 3 x 2 1/2 in section. A plywood carcase sits inside the framework and the top is just under 3" thick beech.

Colin

Ash in my opinion would be an excellent wood for a workbench, it's very pleasant to work with, much nicer than pine to plane with hand tools, but it'll be very heavy so bear that in mind in case you ever have to move it.

Mine is ash. Good timber and nice to work, my only personal hesitance is knowing how best to finish it. Likely n/a to a workbench.

Thanks all, I hoped that would be the case but best to check - I always think ash is undervalued, have always used it as a rough timber before... Just wondered if there was a reason people don't talk about it as a wood to use

I agree with the previous comments and that it doesn’t get the coverage it deserves. It’s only downside as I see it is that if an oil based finish is used it quickly turns yellow.

If you're talking about ash you can 'fell', presumably making the bench is a long way down the road?

Ash is very strong and pretty heavy which is a good thing for a bench.
I'm building a pair of single beds from it at the moment. As the stock is sawn and planed to size, I'm noticing a reasonable amount of movement. You may find you need to sneak up on your final dimensions and give it a few weeks to settle before the final passes through the P/T.

As above, nice wood to work with and does seem to have fallen out of favour over time. It used to be the wood of choice for coach built cars but got replaced when that new-fangled metal started to take hold of the automotive industry.

I would ask an obvious question in that is the Ash available because of dieback?

I’m a real fan of light coloured native hardwoods & have used ash often over the years for furniture at home, I now use Osmo raw to combat its tendency to yellow.

As for a work bench it’s an ideal timber, a very good friend made this bench from Ash 6 years ago & it’s bearing up very well indeed.

AF56DA6C-8C59-42AA-8B2B-4E96CE2A8043.jpeg

If you're talking about ash you can 'fell', presumably making the bench is a long way down the road?

Yep couple of years - got a barn to rebuild and a garden to landscape first 🤔 so thought i'd better get some wood in to dry for a while!

As above, nice wood to work with and does seem to have fallen out of favour over time. It used to be the wood of choice for coach built cars but got replaced when that new-fangled metal started to take hold of the automotive industry.

I would ask an obvious question in that is the Ash available because of dieback?

Thankfully no - I help manage an ancient woodland ash grows like a weed so plenty is cut to open up the canopy. Owner cuts it for firewood but is happy for me to take what I need. I'm also clearing out the sycamore and plan to put that to use in the future as well.

If you’re planking Sycamore you need to store the planks vertically for the first year of so, it’s also not a bad ideal to spray it with a fungicidal wash.

And if it's fiddleback sycamore it is a beautiful wood for furniture. I recommend 3 coats of Ronseal internal water based satin clear varnish with a light sand in between each coat for your ash bench, that should avoid yellowing, but test a scrap piece first. Start a new thread and post pictures of your progress.

Back