Those Friday Laundry Blues...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I woke up this morning, to do some laundry,
Yes, I woke up this morning to do some laundry,
I saw wet on the floor,
What on earth could it be?

So I pulled out that washer, and had a look down,
So I pulled out that washer, and had a look down,
I sure had a problem,
There was water all around.

I soon found the problem, it was the hot pipe,
Yes I soon found that problem, it was the hot pipe,
It sure needed fixing,
More than just a quick wipe.

It must have been leaking for ages, it was all black and manky,
It must have been leaking for ages, it was all black and manky,
Well it needed a clean up,
More than just a wipe with my hanky.

Well I tightened the tap up, but got a surprise,
Yes I tightened that tap up, but got a surprise,
The tap just exploded and hot water it did rise.

So I turned off the stop-tap, though it was hard to get at,
So I turned off the stop-tap, though it was hard to get at,
I thought, "What a daft place to put it, the plumber must have been a bit of a silly-billy."

Then I went down to Screwfix, to buy me some stuff,
Yes, I went down to Screwfix, to buy me some stuff,
Then I soon had it sorted, I just hope it's enough.

(Middle eight instrumental)

So if you wake up tomorrow, to do some laundry,
I said if you wake up tomorrow, to do some laundry,
And you find lots of water,
Well, just think of me.

You have a hot pipe on your washer? I dare say the whole system has been around too long, they haven't existed for ages.

Go down to your washer and check the pipes
I say go down to your washer and check the pipes
If one of them is red
If one of them is red
Then you have too many pipes

Go down to your washer...............

Too right. Cold feed only is the new way.
Although I have to say that, when I asked the sales person in M*lesey Refrig*ration why, he looked at me in a "I have no idea, and now I feel like a total prick for not knowing the answer" way. I since found out why, and it makes perfect sense in the combi-boiler era.

flh801978":39pprikn said:
Why is cold feed only better ?.
Surely it's cheaper to heat water with gas rather than electricity

Ian
Apparently its the cold water that runs into the drum before the hot that needs to be heated - so why bother with hot pipe. That's what I'm told.
But I also think it cheaper to manufacture

Brian

finneyb":1qq3m0mm said:
flh801978":1qq3m0mm said:

Ian
Apparently its the cold water that runs into the drum before the hot that needs to be heated - so why bother with hot pipe. That's what I'm told.
But I also think it cheaper to manufacture

Brian

That is both my original thinking, and what I discovered after googling.
In reality, it probably depends on what sort of boiler you have(combis do take a brief time to get going) and how long the pipework is.

On our old hot feed machine we had to run the kitchen tap to pre-heat the water otherwise the machine wouldn't run properly. Cold feed is definitely better and less hassle, especially since the vast majority of our washing is done at low/cold temperatures.

flh801978":x5jbp4z6 said:
Ian

I asked this once before. It's so you only need to heat the water being used and don't waste energy and water by filling your plumbing system with hot water. It makes a lot of sense if you have a long draw on the hot water, and of course modern detergents work at lower temperatures anyway.

Modern detergents also require longer to work due to the enzymes etc in them, but they do a better job in the long run. Wash time doesn't really bother me, most of the time we put it on at bed time anyway.

There are a couple of things about this which I'm actually quite pleased about.

The first is how well I coped with it. Found the problem, didn't panic, got it sorted. A year or two ago I would have just freaked out.

The second is that that room is a bit of a mess. The floor is actually below ground level, so the walls are damp. The electrics are a cat's cradle of wires and it looks as if it's not seen a coat of paint for 30 years. Some patches of the wall are turquoise. 1970s?

I've been thinking of tackling it for a long time. Just thinking, you understand, not actually doing. Not least because to dry-line and make good will make the room too narrow to have my washer and dryer side-by-side as they are at the moment. But my mat Stuart suggested I put the TD above the WM, which makes a lot of sense to me. I can fit new walls, redo the plumbing and electricals and effectively have a new room.

Not bad, Steve.... Needs a bit more Bluesing up, though.

Think you need to shoot a man or two in Memphis, although "Shot a man in Screwfix" could work. Mention what vehicle you used to go down to Screwfix, too. Chevvy, Caddy, Greyhound bus or a downbound train.
No mention of cigarettes, pills or cheap whiskey - Need to address this, along with the distinct lack of rain a-comin' down...

The name needs tweaking, too - Blind Steve Maskery, perhaps? Howlin' Steve?

Well when I'm not wearing my contact lenses I'm not far off, but somehow "Partially-sighted Steve Maskery" does not have the same ring to it, does it?

Steve Maskery":1cml8qb2 said:
There are a couple of things about this which I'm actually quite pleased about.

The first is how well I coped with it. Found the problem, didn't panic, got it sorted. A year or two ago I would have just freaked out.

The second is that that room is a bit of a mess. The floor is actually below ground level, so the walls are damp. The electrics are a cat's cradle of wires and it looks as if it's not seen a coat of paint for 30 years. Some patches of the wall are turquoise. 1970s?

I've been thinking of tackling it for a long time. Just thinking, you understand, not actually doing. Not least because to dry-line and make good will make the room too narrow to have my washer and dryer side-by-side as they are at the moment. But my mat Stuart suggested I put the TD above the WM, which makes a lot of sense to me. I can fit new walls, redo the plumbing and electricals and effectively have a new room.

That's what i did with mine. Built them into a cupboard with the drier on top of the washer. Works a treat.

Steve Maskery":s0kpn87e said:
Well when I'm not wearing my contact lenses I'm not far off, but somehow "Partially-sighted Steve Maskery" does not have the same ring to it, does it?
"Short Sight Steve" sounds quite reasonable, though... :wink:

Steve Maskery":2dilm44t said:
Some patches of the wall are turquoise. 1970s?

I had a bedroom in the early '70s with two turquoise walls with tangerine skirtings- the other walls were tangerine with turquoise skirtings. The ceiling was black, the carpet purple and the bedcover yellow. It went well with the Byrds, Floyd, Incredible String Band etc.- strangely enough, I've just been listening to Melanie and Curved Air. :lol: Shows my age. :lol:

Back