Quantcast

This weekends carbooty

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

mancsteve1

Established Member
Reaction score
After the 'buzz' of picking up my cache of Moulding planes, all i can find now are these little Coffin planes no great age i think but at £1 each i could not resist.
The Yankee driver was an impulse buy, has DEC 1923 reg on shaft ,at £3 worth a punt.

Any comments on makers of plane or driver gratefully accepted.

Attachments

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Excellent little planes I think. What are the blades, and is there any sign of a makers stamp on body (normally I think on front of toe)?
I have a similar coffin that a previous owner adapted into a mini-scrub (big blade camber) and it is a real cracker.
I suspect the Yankee is a North Bros (there are a few proud owners around here) - very nicely made.
Bargains, the lot.

Richard T

Established Member
Reaction score
Must admit I've never seen either of those makers' marks on irons. Interestingly elaborate woodscrew motif.

TobyC

Established Member
Reaction score
Taylor, Charles (Edge Tool maker).
Residing at 47 Eyre Lane h.44 Fulton Road, in 1905.
Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham.

I've seen several chisels with the screw.

And I've seen a few S. Ashton Sheffield plane irons.

But they didn't make the planes. As was already said, there should be a makers mark on the end of the plane, usually the toe.

Toby

TobyC

Established Member
Reaction score
That push drill has something written on it but I can't read it. I have seen very few that didn't have the makers name on it.

Toby

TobyC

Established Member
Reaction score
Or this one.

Nos. 611, 612, 617, 621 (Andy's link)

I have one like that, all it says is "MADE IN GERMANY", which apparently means post 1975.

Toby

mancsteve1

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you Toby for the iron makers info,did you google for this or is there a book available? The more i buy the more i am drawn into the history behind the tool and makers.
I have been over both planes with a magnifying glass and can see no makers mark or evidence of one sadly,but still worth a £1 each in my eyes (amateurish as they are :) )

Andy i have looked over the driver and it's a Yankee #31 made by North Bros of Philladelphia and the last registered patent date on it is Dec 1923 (as condeesteso pointed out also ,thank you).it is in full working order and i will purchase some more bits in the future and make full use of it.

once again thank you all .

Steve

TobyC

Established Member
Reaction score
The internet, but I had looked into both of those makers in the past, and I already had that info on hand, so I can't give you any link.
Sorry I couldn't nail down the push drill for you, there are hundreds, if not thousands of those things, and sometimes the differences are very slight. I always look for makers marks on a tool before I look anywhere else.

Check these out.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS-borT...s/0_img-pdf/1926-YankeeTools-NorthBros-ne.pdf

http://www.roseantiquetools.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/yankee1931.pdf

http://jp29.org/wwnbyankee.htm

Toby

mancsteve1

Established Member
Reaction score
Toby
Thanks for the links and information, my Yankee is in there number 31A $4 apparently when new.