This Week at the Boot Fair....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
feswood":v7lmoguq said:
Hey jimi nice haul ,the plane i know its history the wood came from solsbury hill, i dont remember, exactly but they tried to use a sledge hammer to knock it down which shocked the monkey who started shaking the tree :lol:

Hey feswood! My heart went "boom boom boom" when I saw the blinkin' stamp mate! =D>

The plot thickens on this one too...because of the Cornish connection. I might even find a family link myself! :shock:

I need to do some research recommended to me by a Mormon this evening from Washington State (don't ask!)...www.familysearch.com apparently has a whole bunch of information on Cornish families! And there was me thinking they only made Osmonds! 8)

Richard...feel free to hijack the thread! Something as crazy as that in your garage should be splurged all over the forum...I nearly missed it! :oops:

I simply love your ability to see a use for something quite different from it's original use! I am currently doing the same looking for some acme threads and drives for my X-Y table...now that I have sorted out the vise that is...

DSC_1675.JPG

That Corro Dip is awesome stuff....check out the rust...gone!

DSC_1674.JPG

And it's tight...perfect for precision work...locks up with no play at all.

I also love your gravers...I need to get a few of them...maybe an old set...do you happen to know the best makers of these...Addis perhaps? Prof! Prof!!!!?

I want to try come copperplate engraving...my next project!

Anyone else get anything today?

Jim

Are I Sorby chisels well regarded? I was given one in a box filled with random stuff. It was rusty and had no edge, but has cleaned up fine.

disco_monkey79":lqwvce8i said:
Are I Sorby chisels well regarded? I was given one in a box filled with random stuff. It was rusty and had no edge, but has cleaned up fine.

My favourite chisel is an I Sorby - takes a razor edge in no time, holds it for ages, weight, length and handle shape makes it joyously "handy" in use.

BugBear

I have trouble keeping up with these bootfair threads, they come around every single week. That paring chisel is a stunner - I have an old 1/2" Osborn with box handle, and it is the best paring chisel I ever layed hands on. I once got a new Sorby 1" and it is a thorough disappointment in comparison... poor steel, leather washer (what??***!!).
Nice vice too.

I have a yonks-old 1" Sorby Paring Chisel. Boxwood London Pattern handle. Good steel that takes and holds a good edge. Nice balance. Love 'er to bits!

I have a set of Narex chisels in MM sizes, (which I like) and also a cheapo set of GP chisels. I always shop for older Marples, Sorby and Ward.

Generally I don't buy new chisels of any make, although I would make an exception for the top-end makers. However, my chisel rack is getting a bit overstocked anyway!

HTH :D

Latest posts

Back