This guy ordered some very cheap planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What!!!! No mitre!! :mrgreen:

Lovely masterpieces...rather a row of those on my mantlepiece than a Rembrandt! 8)

I do think it rather anal though...this unboxing craze on video.

Almost saying "you plebs are never going to be able to afford one...let alone three of these so be content with a video".

Such a shame the video quality would be more of a match for unboxing a DIY special! :roll:

Jim

jimi43":2nkfpdpj said:
What!!!! No mitre!! :mrgreen:

Lovely masterpieces...rather a row of those on my mantlepiece than a Rembrandt! 8)

Almost saying "you plebs are never going to be able to afford one...let alone three of these so be content with a video".

Such a shame the video quality would be more of a match for unboxing a DIY special! :roll:

Jim

I agree Jimi.

I thought maybe I can see a Karl Holtey plane in action on youtube, but this was all I could find.

Ali

jimi43":3e4fixzy said:

Bragging is always a tad unpleasant.

BugBear

bugbear":7gj7jq88 said:
jimi43":7gj7jq88 said:

Bragging is always a tad unpleasant.

BugBear

Indeed....not even a review...not cutting wood...just minutes of poor sound of "how to open a box!"

Watching David Barron demonstrating a Bill Carter mitre on his video had a great overview and made me want to add one to my collection of "nice planes to brag about"....but like Mr P says....I think I'll just make one....

OH...and get one of Bill's!!! :mrgreen:

Ok to show it on here? :roll:

Jimi

Just looked up the prices for these. Blimey! I'm someone who enjoys his tools, and making things with them, and because I'm not confident/experienced enough to buy good used tools I buy top end everyday ones. Lie Nielsen, Clifton, Wenzloff etc. (The sort of tool tart that Jacob has little time for.) But, the total spend on all my hand tools, planes, chisels, saws etc is about the same as one larger Holtey. Do these really perform so amazingly well as to warrant a cost of twenty times my wonderful Lie Nielsen 5 with high angle frog?
Current project a Shaker coffin clock in brown oak as a wedding present for my son and his beautiful partner.
Simon

Saint Simon":2m41tytr said:
Just looked up the prices for these. Blimey! I'm someone who enjoys his tools, and making things with them, and because I'm not confident/experienced enough to buy good used tools I buy top end everyday ones. Lie Nielsen, Clifton, Wenzloff etc. (The sort of tool tart that Jacob has little time for.) But, the total spend on all my hand tools, planes, chisels, saws etc is about the same as one larger Holtey. Do these really perform so amazingly well as to warrant a cost of twenty times my wonderful Lie Nielsen 5 with high angle frog?
Current project a Shaker coffin clock in brown oak as a wedding present for my son and his beautiful partner.
Simon

Hello,

No. Whilst they may give a very slight advantage right at the extreme end of woodworking, in the main the advantages are diminished to the point of negligibility. These things are expensive because they are very, very precisely made, which takes a long time. Anything so finely crafted will be expensive, and this is part of the joy of owning these, if you are into that sort of thing. For instance, a Rolex will not tell time any more accurately than a Seconda!

Mike.

Saint Simon":1lxrk7i0 said:
...............Do these really perform so amazingly well as to warrant a cost of twenty times my wonderful Lie Nielsen 5 with high angle frog? ......
In a word, no.

They are beautifully made works of art but I doubt they work better than any other well fettled top end plane. I can't say I was terribly impressed that it could cut those bits of exotic hardwood. I regularly use Lignum Vitae and African blackwood and would expect similar results from my far, far less expensive planes.

Saint Simon":3m5cw8lw said:
Simon

It's no different to using a well set up vintage Stanley/Record/Woodie and any of the Clifton. LN etc. that you mentioned. The difference in results is either non existent or is so small that a few seconds with a card scraper/abrasive will bridge any difference.
Some folk like to spend their money on very expensive items, their choice and I have absolutely nothing against them doing so. It keeps people in employment. But let's not exaggerate how much better these tools perform over everyday, run of the mill items. Desirable but certainly not necessary. It's no different to say the money pit of Hi Fi and the quest for perfect sound (it doesn't exist). It virtually always ends in listening to the equipment rather than the music.
This is extremely well made jewellery for the woodworker.
I think if I spent that amount of money on a Plane it really would sit permanently on a shelf, too afraid of dropping it when in use.

s'nice for Karl though; good to see people keeping craftsmen employed!

Karl does mention this on his site:
I have seen poor quality copies of my A13 design; any plagiarism borne out of my revisions has missed the original Norris design, and has used my ideas instead.

My advice to those wanting a good quality lower cost plane would be to avoid these copies, save money and consider a Lie Nielsen or Veritas, who are excellent value for money and whom I have no hesitation in recommending.

To be fair, I think if you add up all his hours and expenses of running a machine shop; prices are probably more or less justified. How long would it take to make one plane? A week or two maybe?

jimi43":1tttmqz7 said:
Dangermouse.":1tttmqz7 said:
More money than sense !

More sense than a coke habit....and the quality's nothing to turn yer nose up to!

:mrgreen:

Jimi

So what would these do that a good high end plane costing a couple of hundred wouldn't do?

Dangermouse.":1pvbszn3 said:
jimi43":1pvbszn3 said:
Dangermouse.":1pvbszn3 said:
More money than sense !

More sense than a coke habit....and the quality's nothing to turn yer nose up to!

:mrgreen:

Jimi

So what would these do that a good high end plane costing a couple of hundred wouldn't do?

Probably make you a profit if you kept them as an investment...

It's the same argument saying that a Rolls Royce will get you to the supermarket but so would a Lada!

But then reading the rest of the thread...one would say that you have to really love fine tools...as some people do.

I may have not been clear in my original response...it's not the masterpieces from Karl I have any problems with....it's the craze of videoing cardboard box opening which does my head in. :roll:

You get it with mobile phones...laptops....gadgets...freaking hair straightners...

WHY!!?

Nothing about the item or how it works or anything too taxing....just endless hours of scissor technique and dreadful video production.

Jim

I'm not sure that's the point of tools like these DM. People with enough didposable want to patron unique items that make them happy. That is nothing new. I think Mignal rounded it up nicely in regards of performace.

I doubt that this chap is going hungry having bought some Holtey's. As such it's probably a matter of him either keeping the money in the Bank (does nothing much, except for Bankers), save up a bit more and buy a Ferrari (he may already have one) or perhaps further add to his stamp collection. He can't take the dosh with him, he only has one life and they can always be resold at some point.
One thing I do know for certain though: it won't make him a better woodworker. Skill acquired over years of experience is pretty hard to buy, no matter how much money one has.

Latest posts

Back