Third scroll saw project Unicorn jigsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_H

Established Member
Reaction score
This is from a book on fantasy scroll saw creatures by Jean Petersen. It is in oak made on my Jet scroll scroll.

I did it quickly for my daughters birthday this week. If I had had more time I would have used one solid piece of wood and not laminated together three pieces of oak! This leads to use of epoxy where the wood fractures along the glue lines! It would also have given a more uniform colour appearance. :oops:

I would also have used clear tape from the beginning and cut at a slower speed to prevent scorching to the edges. (hammer) .

Having said all that I am pleasantly surprised at how it has turned out and I am still enjoying my amateur efforts. Hopefully I can only get better!

IMG_20140621_234545.jpg

IMG_20140621_234346.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140621_234346.jpg
    IMG_20140621_234346.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG_20140621_234545.jpg
    IMG_20140621_234545.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 637
Thank you.

I have just been out and measured it, it is 14 mm thick.

To be fair I think it is the design which is well balanced and not my ability.

Having said that I am really glad I printed out a second pattern as I would have struggled to work out how all the individual pieces went together on my own, it is more complicated than it looks when separated, or maybe I do not have that kind of brain! :shock:

Tim.

Looks a very good piece of work.

Re glue, have you tried Titebond, II & III, it is what I have used for many years. You will find that the joint is stronger than the wood itself.

Take care.

Chris R.

Chris,

Thank you, I used Titebond II.

In retrospect I think the fractures probably occurred in the wood itself as I have not had problems with Titebond before.

I need to pick better bits of wood. I was in a rush and used off cuts from the edging on my bench build, which were probably off cuts for a reason!

Ah well we learn by making... in my case by making mistakes.

Latest posts

Back