Thinking to buy a router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have decided to buy a router to replace my crappy old Power Devil one, which wasn't the bargain I thought it might be - I have since learned to generally avoid cheap kit. Anyway I was thinking of the Trend T5EB which I can get for around £110. Do any members have any experience of this, either good or bad. At the price, is there a better buy? I won't be getting a Titan, Erbauer etc, it's going to be a Trend, Makita, deWalt or other well being respected brand this time.

Any opinions?

K

Don't rule out Hitachi, they have some very good Routers for bargain price's, I have the M12VE in a router table and the M12V2 (heavy duty) both very good 1/2" routers, also have a couple of Draper Expert routers that are doing sterling service hand routing, with the transparent base and three LED work lights they are good for accurate work.

Mike

graduate_owner":1l50e02t said:
Hi all
I have decided to buy a router to replace my crappy old Power Devil one, which wasn't the bargain I thought it might be - I have since learned to generally avoid cheap kit. Anyway I was thinking of the Trend T5EB which I can get for around £110. Do any members have any experience of this, either good or bad. At the price, is there a better buy? I won't be getting a Titan, Erbauer etc, it's going to be a Trend, Makita, deWalt or other well being respected brand this time.

Any opinions?

K

Have you had a look in the for sale section? Graycbr has one on offer.

money might be an issue to you, but as you have already learnt buying cheap is wasting money, I strongly suggest you buy a 1/2" router, rather than a 1/4".
You can still use 1/4 " bits in a 1/2" router (and 6 mm, 8 mm, 3/8",).
In a 1/4" router, guess how many sizes you can use?
Put some more money in the pot and you will only have to buy once.
I am very happy with my 1/2" makita.

Totally agree with Bob - I spent / wasted money on a 1/4 inch makita and a 1/4 inch dewalt and regretted it until I got a 1/2 inch triton.

They are usually bigger and heavier though, so something to bear in mind if you're doing a lot of handheld work

I have 1 x 1/2"makita and 2 x 1/4" makita edge trimmers... wonderful things.
I also have a bosch 1/4" router which does quite well for its age (over 20 years).
I also have a powerplus router, bought in a moment of desperation.
DO. NOT. BUY. A. Powerplus router. TRUST. ME.

After reading these comments I have been looking at the Hitachi 1/2" routers. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the M12VE , M12VE/J 6 and M2VE/ J 7?

K

I think strictly the J6 is the 230V 2000W version and the J7 the 110V 1570W version (at least according to Screwfix). If you look elsewhere on the web there appears to be no consistency. I have just bought a 240V version (not from Screwfix) and I am very pleased with it. It feels like a quality tool. Also just bought a Triton TRA001 for the table but prefer the Hitachi for hand use.

I thought I would mention a trend t11 although expensive is very versatile I can use it on my vari jig and with a mounting kit I can mount on a table in 30 seconds and can ajust cutter height from above sometimes it is worth thinking of what you do in the furture

What are you going to be using the router for, if its hand work make sure its light enough to be moved around as you wish, heavy 1/2" routers like the Hitachi MV12v2 are ideal for kitchen worktop jig use as the bulk keeps it in control, but if you are going to use the router free hand something of the size of the Draper Expert would possibly suite you better, its lighter in weight has a transparent base and three LED work-lights illuminating the underside, if the router is going into a table then the Trend would be my recommendation, above table height adjustment and has very good reviews, never had one myself, but I have had the Triton and became very tired of the need to get under the table to switch off the interlock after changing a cutter.

Mike

I also just bought a Triton TRA001 for the table and for the ability to change bits above table with one spanner. It also has automatic cut off and lock when lifted above the table.
Malcolm

I have an MV12E and I really like it. Nice price point and so far it's been a good bit of kit.

Copied over from another thread:

The problem I always found with the Triton was the automatic interlock that operated as you lifted to full height, it meant getting under the table to unlock the thing before you could carry on, perhaps if it is fitted with a chuck extension it will be possible to lift it to such a height that the interlock will not operate, never tried it as I sold the Triton and bought a Hitachi M12 to use in the table, that has a Muscle Chuck fitted which I find is perfect, no long extension to try and balance and just a set screw key to loosen it.

Mike

EDIT: to add link to the Muscle Chuck: http://www.musclechuck.com/

MikeJhn":1iy7enoo said:

The problem I always found with the Triton was the automatic interlock that operated as you lifted to full height, it meant getting under the table to unlock the thing before you could carry on

Are you referring to the switch cover locking when the spindle lock is engaged?

MikeJhn":2jj603xj said:

The problem I always found with the Triton was the automatic interlock that operated as you lifted to full height, it meant getting under the table to unlock the thing before you could carry on, perhaps if it is fitted with a chuck extension it will be possible to lift it to such a height that the interlock will not operate, never tried it as I sold the Triton and bought a Hitachi M12 to use in the table, that has a Muscle Chuck fitted which I find is perfect, no long extension to try and balance and just a set screw key to loosen it.

Mike

EDIT: to add link to the Muscle Chuck: http://www.musclechuck.com/

I have the TRA001 in my router table and none of my router bits can even be used when the router is lifted to the point where the interlock is active. The chuck is too high with respect to the table surface to make the bits functional.

MikeK":33vra6kx said:
I have the TRA001 in my router table and none of my router bits can even be used when the router is lifted to the point where the interlock is active. The chuck is too high with respect to the table surface to make the bits functional.

With due respect Mike, you have missed the point of the interlock, its function is to lock the shaft to allow the collet to be undone for cutter changes, you then fiddle about under the table to unlock the shaft and then lower the Router to its operational height.

Mike

Back