Thinking of upgrading my SCMS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sammo":1tznqknl said:
D&M seem to have some good offers, I feel a trip to Twickenham this weekend; see if they can do me a deal on the LS1013 & the Makita plunge saw as well (being a left hander I hate the way most circular saws spit the waste in my face!)

I dont think the word DEAL exists in D&M, I live pretty near them and have spent thousands in there and never got a penny off. Also most of the staff are the most ignorant un helpful people you will ever meet. I looked at the ls1013 a couple of years ago in there and asked a few questions about it and got no help whatsoever from them so I bought it cheaper elsewhere in fact I ended up buying 3 of them as two other people I knew wanted new ones too so they lost out there :lol:

SAMMO, there is another Makita saw another chippy I work with bought one awhile back its much more portable with a smaller blade but still cuts quiet big sections it doesnt swing both ways (excuse the pun) but you may not need that I dont know what you will be using it for.

I think this is it http://www.screwfix.com/prods/64212/Pow ... -Mitre-Saw

I had the Dewalt 712, OK but really noisy, dust everywhere even with extraction on and a pain to change bevel angle and get back to square one accurately. Needed adjusting often to be really accurate.

I know have the KAPEX and I am really pleased with it. It has not let me down yet, and on jobs with lots of angles in the two planes it is really easy to use. The clamp is the only thing I think they should beef up a little, it works but does not look the part.

Like all Festool, pricey, but I have not regretted buying any of them.

Mike

8)

Went for the LS1013 in the end - only used it to cut some scraps to see what it is like - very happy with it, although the manual leaves a lot to be desired - got some extra plastic stuff in the box - one bit it looks as though you screw it to the saw to reduce breakout - the other plastic push clips no indication what to do with them.

I also got the plunge saw with the two rails - will be using this today.

All in all D&M were doing the best price and so went with them; as I knew what I wanted I was in and out in 10 mins

An excellent choice! 8)

Do you have any photos of these other parts? I've found the manual is fine for setting up the basic saw, but it certainly doesn't go in to any depth on the optional accessories.

I also got the Makita LS1013 after reading a lot of reviews that recommended it for its accuracy. I have not been disappointed :)

The Makita blade supplied is pretty good too - I bought a freud blade but haven't bothered to change it yet as the original gives a nice finish anyhow :)

edit: Oh, and I upgraded it to Laserkerf type laser-guided for a fiver using a module from the Bay :D

Dan-K":p6zg7oyr said:
edit: Oh, and I upgraded it to Laserkerf type laser-guided for a fiver using a module from the Bay :D

It would be good to hear how you get on with that. :wink:

Sammo,

The spare bits you should have are a plastic square for setting the saw up square which I have never used I use another method for setting it up, the plastic centre piece which as you say fills up the gap in the centre and you just cut into it similar to the old Elu and dewalt ones but not as good so I have never used mine. The last bits you should have are small black plastic buttons these are spares for the safety switch on the trigger as they sometimes get broken off so they give you spares. Hope this helps.

Chris

Windy*miller":7ex8trn1 said:
The company started out in 1922 when Mr Dewalt invented the radial arm saw, so I figure that they can probably do circular saw type kit but may be suspect on other things.

Totally off-topic, but as I understand it the radial arm side was sold off to Original Saw Co, and the current DeWalt brand is just a total marketing spin from Black & Decker. I'm not saying they aren't any good - I have a number of their tools including the DW707 which I've had for years - but I once went to a talk on branding back in the late 90s where a B&D guy was explaining how he'd used this old brand to create a new prestige tool market...

Can't comment on the Festool, sorry!

Latest posts

Back