Thinking about a new band saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter T

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Basato 4 which is "OK" but has some niggly issues which are starting to become a problem.

I've been looking on the web and at catalogues for a new band saw in the sort of £1000 region and yesterday I got the chance to drop into Axminster to check out the hardware in the flesh.

The Axminster ones, AP4300 and 5300 look good on paper but close up are less impressive, although they only had the 4300 on display. The table mounting and tilt assembly is the same design as my Basato and this one of tte things I don't like. The rip fences also seem rather flimsy.

The Jet saws, on the other hand, were more impressive. I particularly liked the JWBS-18Q. The construction is very solid and everything looks like it ought to work well.

I am seriously tempted to buy one of these. Anyone got any good reasons not to??

Thanks,

PS. Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I just noticed some other band saw threads in other places :oops:

Hello, I have a Scheppach besato 3 and am thinking of upgrading to the Hammer N4400, for the greater depth of cut etc, etc, I have not considered any of the axminster machines,,,,,so I will watch your thread with interest. and I have to sell the old one as well!!

GT

I have just rung tewkesbury saw who talked me out of a jet saying that the startrite 502 is a much better deal (not necessarily a better saw),I hope this is less convusing to you! Still cant decide myself.
PS the startrite is £999 less £30 discount.

I have had the Jet 16" saw for over a year now and I am very happy with it. I am particularly impressed with the resawing abilities - I have resawed planks over 200 mm wide. Dust collection is also good. And very easy to adjust for drift. The mechanism for tilting the table and adjusting guides was also very easy. I have not used a bandsaw before I got this one. After I got it my tablesaw is used much, much less.

Good luck with your investment.

squib":ek95ntpq said:
I have just rung tewkesbury saw who talked me out of a jet saying that the startrite 502 is a much better deal (not necessarily a better saw),I hope this is less convusing to you! Still cant decide myself.
PS the startrite is £999 less £30 discount.

Now I'm seriously confused!!

I Googled Startrite 502 and the first hit on the list was http://www.daltonsmachines.com/uplo...Startrite_502_Bandsaw_Manual_&_Parts_List.pdf

However, when I look at the Tewskbury Saw web site, the Startrite 502 they show looks like the Axminster 5300.

One of the things I like on the Jet saw is the cradle type table support. The Axi saws have the bent metal semi-circular supports, same as the Basato, which I don't like because they make table alignment so hit and miss.

BTW, is it just me or is the SpellCheck doing strange thing?

That is the early 502,the new one is the 502E or 502S which has ceramic guides .I just had a look at the hammer and although the motor is 4hp the depth of cut is 275 but has ceramic guides....getting more confused by the minute...........!

Geir":3lxbfobd said:
I have had the Jet 16" saw for over a year now and I am very happy with it. I am particularly impressed with the resawing abilities - I have resawed planks over 200 mm wide. Dust collection is also good. And very easy to adjust for drift. The mechanism for tilting the table and adjusting guides was also very easy. I have not used a bandsaw before I got this one. After I got it my tablesaw is used much, much less.

Good luck with your investment.

Thanks for your input Geir,

The jet saw seems very solid and easy to setup. One of the problems I have with my Basato is that the rip fence continually drifts out of alignment which, needless to say, is a problem.

Thanks again,

I presume the 502 is secondhand at that price? We have 3 Axminster bandsaws at school. I do not like them. They do not run well or cut accuratly. I have set mine up (as I do my Startrite 352 at home). There is no comparison.

I doubt it does, it is a decent Italian-made saw (ACM, I believe).

No bent metal on show here:

hammerc.jpg

Have you read this thread on bandsaws? https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/band ... 39230.html Seems to be a lot of duplication (when isn't there on UKW :roll: )

Picked up my 502e today and got it into the workshop. Nothing flimsy on it - it weighs in at 200kg. The table support is very similar to the one that Jake shows on the hammer 4400. FYI, as of this morning I think that there is one 240v hammer in stock - once that is gone it is a 12 week wait - talk to Steve at hammer UK if you are interested. I don't think there are any new 502e's in the UK now but if you want one talk to Lee at Yandles as I believe he has one reserved on the next delivery which is the first or second week of March and he was quoting me a figure under £950 (plus delivery).

HTH

Steve

Jake":1ceoyl5z said:
I doubt it does, it is a decent Italian-made saw (ACM, I believe).

No bent metal on show here:

hammerc.jpg

Maybe I did them a disservice, that certainly looks very solid.

Thanks,

promhandicam":343dxlnr said:
Picked up my 502e today and got it into the workshop. Nothing flimsy on it - it weighs in at 200kg.

Hi Steve,

How easy was it to man-handle in to your workshop? I might be buying a 401E in the next week (second-hand). It's being bolted upright to a pallet but I doubt it'll go under the garage door, vertically... Also it weighs 150kg (granted, that's 50kg less than yours, plus the table will be removed). I'm also planning to by a mobile base but will somehow need to lift it up and drop it in to place.

I transported mine laying down in the back of my van. It took 4 of us to lift it out and get it upright. To move it from this position we used a sack barrow and in the workshop I did move it using the sack barrow on my own although would have been safer with 2 people. Once it is off the pallet it shouldn't be too much of a problem if you have a decent sack barrow.

Steve

I got my 401 around easily enough with a helper, then down a flight of steps into my cellar (workshop) with 2 helpers and a hoist. It's heavy, but not too bad once the table is off (I took the motor off as well, but that was more to slim it down widthways).

Back