Things you DON'T like about your biscuit jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a second-hand Makita in 2008 and there's not an awful lot I dislike about it. It's accurate and it maintains it's setting (unlike the two cheap Ferms I had before). It's not as noisy as the cheaper tools but also, I can't imagine the Lamello jointers are any quieter (not that I've used one). Dust extraction is excellent once hooked up to a vacuum extractor otherwise, like all the rest; the port and blade housing will soon clog up with stringy shavings from solid wood (probably not much of an issue with the dust from MDF but then, you know the rest...). I quite like the case, too. Although, I've never really bothered to store any biscuits in the provided compartment.

On mine, the scale isn't quite spot-on so, I normally use a square or sliding bevel to set the fence to the correct angle. Occasionally, the E-clip that holds one of the levers in place (used to secure the fence height) will work itself loose (thinking about it, both clips were missing on the identical Bosch tool we used at college). That's not the end of the world though, provided you don't lose the levers. Out of the box, I found that the tool wasn't cutting slots deep enough, meaning edges wouldn't come together during an assembly. However, this is very easy to adjust and, for what it's worth, I did buy a second-hand model.

I'd certainly buy another, if this one failed. I really cannot see (without perhaps using one) what else the Lamello jointers offer... If you were to continue using your router table, would it help to fit stops (as when cutting a stopped groove or mortise) so that you can almost 'drop on' (or, 'in') to the cutter without the timber moving?

If only it had a feature to warn me when I'm cutting no.10 slots for no.20 biscuits! :-D

OPJ":1voyp7p4 said:
f you were to continue using your router table, would it help to fit stops (as when cutting a stopped groove or mortise) so that you can almost 'drop on' (or, 'in') to the cutter without the timber moving?

If only it had a feature to warn me when I'm cutting no.10 slots for no.20 biscuits! :-D

Comments noted. You can see the build quality in some of the photos on the web.

And yes, guides off the table fence are a very practical idea, although to be honest, it's usually me wobbling the board further back! I'll ponder on that!

Cheers,

E.

I borrowed a Dewalt jointer and liked it so much I had to borrow it three times.
Bad points? the dust collector was knackered and the handle had broken.
I then picked u a Clarke 600 model via fOrum member Benchwayze. Many thanks.

It does seem to be a convincing clone of the Dewalt model, the business end seems pretty much identical, the plastics are a bit cheaper.
Eg the dust collector is made of the kind of plastic that would break of you dropped it.
But, the dust collection is fantastic, hardly any escapes at all.
I had to tape on the first end of the dust collection system which meant I had to cut a small hole in the box to get it in. A small amount of faffing around but worth the effort. Normally I chuck the plastic boxes but this only comes out to play once in a while.
I would not normally buy Clarke stuff, but bearing in mind the saving I would get one of these over the Dewalt.
In my workshop almost every power tool is a funny shade of yelow.

Hope that helps.
Chunko'.

I have an old EL DS140. It is great. I aso use it as a small deth circular saw. I als have a cheap Aldi model. I have had it for about 3 years and use it daily. Trickier to set up but really good.

Dislikes? er...nothing! :)
I've had an original Elu for the last 25+ yrs. I've not used it very extensively, so it's still going strong.
I loved Elu stuff, way back when... (before it got sold to B&D).
Still got 1/2" 'POF' and an 'MOF' 3/4" routers by them, plus a table saw and circ. saw (which powers the former) --all Elu.
Really well-made gear, (tho' pricey at the time!)

Haven't ever tried any other makes of biscuit jointer, so can't compare, but mine's not noisy, just neat, and handy, (and I seem to recall that it came with a 45-degree angle plate? which I've never needed to use...

If I had to buy new, I'd first look at a Makita... because as a trade user of all sorts of gear, over some 30+ yrs, I've just found it to be very well-made, and worth the price ('Buy cheap, and buy twice' — as the old saying goes!)
Good luck!

Furtree

An afterthought:

I was using my b-jointer just yesterday, and it occurred to me to add::
For those new to 'em, do practice a fair bit first, on scrap timber, before applying said machine to yr best bit of work!

Reason being: they (--or mine at any rate) seems to like to leap out of it's cut, about halfway through, esp on **end grain** and can make scars, or cuts, one didn't want...
I don't find this a big prob, as I'm used to it now, and rememeber to press down harder on the end grain cuts, but it could well mess up a decent bit of timber if yr not careful. ~ (or even a finger, --if yr very unlucky?)

Ps: I noted yesterday, --when working some very resinous pine--- that a bit of pinewood smoke was isuing forth, -- maybe it's time I cleaned some resin off that little blade?

Furtree":3sf4r65q said:
they (--or mine at any rate) seems to like to leap out of it's cut, about halfway through, esp on **end grain** and can make scars, or cuts, one didn't want...

I find that the extent to which a biscuit jointer will do this depends much on the type of wood you are using (also, possibly, the sharpness of the blade). I've found the best way to avoid it is to plunge the jointer into the work in two or three stages - that way you will get a very clean cut.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back