Thicknesser thoughts, please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SF why ignore the Charnwood, apart from the colour its the same as the Axminster but cheaper!

Bean

Bean
Sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression that I am ignoring anything as yet.
That was the reason for this thread - to gather information from real users about certain machines. You certainly do have a point though. I intend to look into all avenues before I buy anything, so thanks very much for the lead about the Charnwood.
Cheers again.

SF

I have a TENDO PLANER thicknesser. It will take timber up 10 inches wide.

I bought from a company called Airpinner on Ebay, It is a very sturdy machine, it has a 38 inch x 10 inch cast iron Planer bed, it was made in belguim.

I am very happy with it, the three blades are very easy to replace and have plenty of metal for regrinding.

TENDO have a web site, unfortunately I could not read it as it was all dutch or german to me, as I can only read english

HI,

With the 733, you get a spare drive belt with the machine free, although i've had mine for ages and not needed to change the belt yet but it's standing there ready for when I do. I would agree that it's a two machine race between the Dewalt and Makita, The Makita is the quietest but dearer, the Dewalt has wider capacity and cheaper. So I reckon yellow and black is the way to go.

cheers,
jonathan.

It looks to me as though the DeWalt is good.
It also looks to me as though the Makita is good.
I would prefer a machine that is supplied with a 100mm extraction outlet.
This also includes the Axminster CT330 but the Makita has a smaller outlet (which is not really a problem in effect but I am just setting a comparison standard).
The Makita is possibly a bit quieter.
The Axminster is actually a bigger machine with wider capacity and longer bed extensions. It does not seem to be like the apparent clones when you take a close look. You can't disguise size differences with a paint job!
The Delta is supposed to have the best dust collection on the market for this type of thicknesser.
Which all leaves me with an interesting little dilemma.
I could go for cheap and highly recommended or not so cheap and also highly recommended or just reduced in price and not mentioned at all.
Does no-one have anything to say about the Axminster? Some of you say you own one in the lists.
Anyway, thank you for your comments. I will let you know what happens in due course.
In the meantime I will do a bit of thinking but if you have any further comments I would love to hear them. I really appreciate what you have all said but please don't be offended if I don't go with your choice. I have stuck my head above the parapet here and you know what that could mean when there is no chance to duck down again!
I have actually found all this very helpful, believe it or not.
Thanks to you all.

SF

The Axminster appears to be the same as the Jet JWP-13DX except it only has a single speed. ASAIK the JWP-13DX isn't marketed in the UK.

Mine has worked without any obvious problems. When I bought it a couple of years ago, the JWP-13DX manual available on the wmhtoolgroup.com web site was much better for setup and use than the Axminster manual which came with the machine.

Johnb
That's interesting. I have had a quick look at the manual you mention and it is quite comprehensive, isn't it?
I knew there must be a similar machine available somewhere.
Good to hear yours is not causing problems.
Cheers.

SF

Hi SF
I've got the axminster and its been going well for about 2 years now.
definitely not the quietest machine on the market but it definitely does what it says on the tin. I would recommend it but I am sure there are plenty of good thicknessers on the market. I did a review on this in the review section so you can read my impressions there.
I am still very happy with it.

All the best

John

Hi SF,

Just seen this thread - another vote for the Makita here. 3" dust port is no big deal, I just got the 3" to 4" converter for £5 from Axminster. Extraction works really well, virtually no chippings on the floor after a big session. Winder thread is metric unlike some others (1 revolution = 2mm). Depth of cut indicator is very useful for establishing initial thickness. Nice repeat cut stop, like the plunge stop on the Makita 3612C router. Fold-out table fine-adjust is by grub screws accessed from above, makes it much less fiddly to tune the table height.

When I looked into this a year or so ago, the Makita won every thicknesser head-to-head review that I could find. I've also tried Noely's Delta and CYC's Electra-Beckum, and I'm very happy with the choice I made (although having said that, the end result is pretty much the same out of any of the decent models as long as the knives are sharp!)

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks Neil
The Makita does seem to be popular. I agree with what you say about the end result though. Adjustable sharp spinning things are bound to do the same kind of stuff to bits of wood, aren't they?
The thinking process goes on!

SF

So, how are all the thicknessers performing? My Kity P/T is giving me so many problems that I'm definitely in the market and veering towards the DW 733.

Gill

Latest posts

Back