Thicknesser depth help - Makita 2012NB

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloc75

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon,

I've not been on for a while because I quite literally had to down tools. I had an accident with a planer, no idea how it happened, just that it did and a big reminder that accidents do happen.
Anyway, because it happened and from some advice I've had on here in the past about preparing wood I decided to get a Thicknesser. Obviously it's the Makita 2012NB,plus it's the quietest apparently, which is good for me in suburbia.

Also the manual and info online is pretty poor and I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Does anyone have this model, or experience in setting up a depth? I know the crank increases and decreases the depth, that's obvious - it's just there is a pin underneath the opening of the tool, I just don't understand the mechanics of this.

When a board passes under the pin it will lift the amount of the cut. The gap under the pin head is the material being removed. It is just a visual indicator.
Pete

TBH I've always just put a board into the thicknesser (with it off, obviously) cranked the handle down until the rollers just pinch it, back it off a turn and take the board out, fire it up and do a couple of passes, lowering the head between passes until it starts to cut. I check the thickness of the resulting board with a Vernier calliper and repeat until I get the thickness I need.

Screenshot from the manual. https://www.makita.com.au/images/downloads/documents/manuals/2012NB_manual.pdf
makita.PNG

Figured it out. lovely machine this. Going to be really useful.

My machine is the same model
A couple of months ago the wood would not grip properly to go through
Cleaning and polishing the bed made all the difference; now it runs like new again

Just thought I'd mention....

My machine is the same model
A couple of months ago the wood would not grip properly to go through
Cleaning and polishing the bed made all the difference; now it runs like new again

Just thought I'd mention....

Do you have the hose adapter for the extractor?

Yes, almost sure I bought it from Axminster; about £40

Back