Thick verses thin – blades for the #112

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karl

Here is one just for you.

The thick blade on Tassie Oak minus the hook:

Stanley112nohook.jpg

Fluffy .... uh ... something ... not shavings....

I went down this road for a while after getting the #112. It was a dead end. Only do it with a hook.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quick...pull out the scientific calculators and tell me the difference in bearing surfaces between a 1/4", 5/16", 1/2" and a 5/8" rod...

You'll find it is insignificant. Such is the effect of a rod on an edge tool such as a scraper blade. What I do think is it is *easier* to have a light touch on a smaller diameter rod for forming a small hook (lighter) than a larger rod. That is if one wants a dimunitive hook.

Going to too small a diameter rod has a more negative effect on raising an even hook than having a larger diameter rod. So if anyone fancies using small diameter Dremel-type solid carbide, look for larger diameter used carbide drill bits from a machine shop. I used the shank of a larger one to make a captured, pre-set angled type of tool and it worked well. But I like the more traditional rod on a handle type.

I think that like Tony mentioned the results are easier to attain the smoother the rod. Tony sent me one as well--it's the cat's meow.

Using a hook is turning the scraper from a pure scraping action to that of a (somehwat) lower angled plane blade and will cut as opposed to, well, scrape. The differences in the pictures are telling.

Off to worky.

Take care, Mike

David - thanks for the pointers. will have some further practice.

Derek - those shavings emulate the ones I obtained on English Oak. Will try using the 85 with a hook for a while.

Cheers

Karl

Derek, have you ever used one of the HNT Gordon planes as a scraper plane? If so, how do they compare with all of the above?

Thanks,
Pam

Hi Pam

I have used the Gordon smoother as a scraper. I do not do so as a rule.

The "problem" is that the blade cannot be used with a hook if you also want to use the plane as a smoother. And the heat generated from scraping also blunts the edge very quickly. Without a hook it only produces the fluffy shavings, not the plane-like ones. It does an excellent job as a scraper, but I do not see the point (unless you keep a second blade - preferably HSS - for this task). I generally only use card scrapers anyway.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Oi, it's difficult keeping track of the two discussions running on two BBs, under the same heading, Derek!!

A highly-polished burnisher is 3/4 of the game, IMO, whatever it's made of. Mine's just a rod of 1/4" HSS steel, and it works plenty well enough for me. Also, what no-one seems to have mentioned (meaning I probably missed it) was the use of a bit of lubrication on the burnisher. This trick was taught me by a very skilful and resourceful old bushie, but I suspect it goes back many generations before him: Rub your index finger on the side of your nose, then rub it along the burnisher. Thanks to the generous number of sebaceous glands there, you have a ready source of lubricant, that's always to hand.

Cheers,
IW

...I have used the Gordon smoother as a scraper. I do not do so as a rule.

The "problem" is that the blade cannot be used with a hook if you also want to use the plane as a smoother. And the heat generated from scraping also blunts the edge very quickly. Without a hook it only produces the fluffy shavings, not the plane-like ones. It does an excellent job as a scraper, but I do not see the point (unless you keep a second blade - preferably HSS - for this task)....

Thanks. My experience using them as scrapers is yours to date; but I find myself with a surfeit of jacks, so figured I'd devote the HNT Jack to scraping. It will be real interesting to turn a hook on the blade.

Pam

Pam,

I have not tried it, but I suspect turning a hook on HSS of that hardness is going to be interesting? Hope you have a carbide burnisher...

Terry's original concept did not encompass a hook, if I remember correctly.

David

Which is why I seldom buy HSS, David, only for a turning chisel or two. :) I only have the carbide versions. But thanks for the warning.

Pam

Back