Thick verses thin – blades for the #112

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a Stanley #112 scraper plane for about 10 years. It came with a thin blade, the standard Stanley fare. I used it for a while, never really made it work very well, and eventually bought the Lie-Nielsen “Stanley Replacement” blade for the plane. I had read on forums, such as Badger Pond, that this was the way to go, in the same manner that thick plane blades were an upgrade on the thin original Stanley bench plane blades.

Blades for the #112 are ground in the same way as bench plane blades. LN suggests that their model, which is the same design as the vintage Stanley, be used sans hook. The hook is only recommended for advanced users.

I have a memory that the LN blade originally came with a 60-degree bevel. At any rate, I reground it to 45 degrees in line with the blade in my Stanley #80 scraper plane. In recent years I have been grinding the primary bevel at 30 degrees. This creates an edge with greater penetration (i.e. “sharper”) and I believe that the steel (probably 01) would not be compromised compared to a 45-degree primary bevel.

I have not used the Lee Valley/Veritas #112, which has the capacity for a thick and a thin blade. I would be interested to hear the opinion of those that have used both blades.

My interest in a thin blade was re-kindled recently by the writings of [Paul Hamler, who probably knows more about scraper plane design that anyone else. If Paul says that he prefers a thin blade to a thick one, then they must be better …
http://hamlertools.blogspot.com/

So still struggling with ‘flu and lacking the concentration for a long project (such as the Tallboy that is now languishing in the corner), I decided to instead spend this afternoon answering this question for myself.

I needed a thin blade, so decided to make one out of a piece of saw blade that was the right size and hardness. The big belt sander is a great tool – hardly ever been touched by wood, I use it for grinding metal. The steel was flattened, and both blades were honed up to 8000 on a Shapton waterstone. The thin blade was given a primary bevel of 35 degrees while the LN continued with its 30 degrees. Both blades were given a fine hook with a thin carbide rod I use as a burnisher.

The thin blade:
112bladesawandburnisher1.jpg

Behind the blade is my carbide burnisher. In front of this is the glass setting plate I use for woodies and scraper planes.

Here are the two blades alongside one another:
112bladethicknesses1.jpg

The thin blade measured 1.25mm or 3/64” thick. The LN measured 2.6mm or 7/64” thick.

Shavings

I started with the thin blade in the #112. This was a surprise on two scores: firstly, I was not prepared for the high-pitched screeeeeech it made as it moved across the wood. Good grief! Secondly, the thin blade worked exceptionally well.

Here is a picture of it scraping a board of Tasmanian Oak…

112SawTasOakshaving2.jpg

… and another on Jarrah …

112SawonJarrah1.jpg

The thin blade had a “soft” feel – as if it was flexing as it scraped. It also appeared to feel twitchy, that is, it required more effort to keep it straight. It seemed to want to move around the board.

By contrast, the thicker LN blade required a little more force to push, but it was silent (!) and it had a firm, purposeful feel to it.

Here is the LN blade scraping the same Tasmanian Oak board. The shavings are near identical to the previous effort …

112LNTasOakshaving1.jpg

Both blades left the wood smooth as a baby’s watsit.

By now I was having fun with the LN blade. Here is a long shaving …

112LNTasOaklongshaving1.jpg

…and a shaving from hard Rock Maple …

112LNonMaple1.jpg

Summing up

Both thin and thick blades worked well. The thin blade surprised me just how well it produced shavings and the great finish it left. But I could not live with the sound it made – worse than a power router! Happily, the thick LN blade performed as well, or better, and did so effortlessly. I think that I will stay with it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Nice shavings!

I replaced an old rusty Stanley blade many years ago, with a Hock 2.4mm blade.

I reckon this just about doubled the performance of the tool.

Best wishes,
David

Derek,

My first scraper plane was a LN 212, which I used without burr as recommended. If I would have known what this plane is capable of, I'd have had a go at making burrs much earlier. You see the nice shavings.

212_2.jpg

For what is the difference between a thick and a thin blade, I did not find any besides the feature of the thumbscrew of the LV. Even when a woodworker friend came along with his LV scraper and we changed the blades, there was absolutely no difference. Both planes performed very well with their own blades and the other one's blade. To draw a burr (is that correct?) I had great results on thick blades and not always as fine ones on thin scraper blades at the beginning...

Gerhard_1.jpg

My bad experience was with a cheap blade in a 112, that did not hold an edge, pardon burr and after ten passes the burr was dull.

There is something about the feel of a 2.4 mm blade which I prefer.

I think L-N extra thick just makes for slower grinding. While the extra thin blades of the veritas insert were rather alarming and snapped off the end of the timber.

All thicknesses will cut well when properly sharpened with reasonably correct hook angle.

Hooks seem best to me when kept small. i.e. very little force on the burnisher.

David

Hooks seem best to me when kept small. i.e. very little force on the burnisher

Agreed David.

Here is what I used:

On both card scrapers and scraper planes I use the same hook. This is about 5-10 degrees to the bevel face. This means on a card scraper with a square edge I go 5-10 degrees off the square top (having first raised an edge). On the beveled edge of the scraper plane I site this off the bevel angle (and do not raise an edge).

I use a thin carbide rod. This requires less downforce than the thicker rod on the Crown burnisher I used to use. 5 light strokes are sufficient to raise a fine hook. You can get away with 3 strokes for an even finer shaving. (This is a hard area to quantify as a "light stroke" is open to wide interpretation).

Hope this helps others replicate what I did.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I use a thin carbide rod. This requires less downforce than the thicker rod on the Crown burnisher I used to use. 5 light strokes are sufficient to raise a fine hook. You can get away with 3 strokes for an even finer shaving. (This is a hard area to quantify as a "light stroke" is open to wide interpretation).

Wasn't it Tage Frid who likened the amount of pressure to use as "spreading butter on toast"? :-k

DC

I've read the above with great interest.

I have the LN No 85 (fixed angle) scraper plane. I have not tried raising a burr on the blade yet, as LN say it isn't really necessary. Here is a shot of the shavings from some English Oak

e795e1cb.jpg

As you can see, they are more like straw than fine shavings shown in Derek's post. Is this because of the lack of a burr? Or the timber being planed?

Cheers

Karl

Karl,

The 60 degree with no hook, was originally suggested by Mario Rodriguez.

45 deg with hook has a completely different cutting action.

The former conforms to Bruce Hoadley's type 3 chip formation, whilst hook acts like a cutting edge with a very very close set steep chipbreaker.

Maybe type 1 or type 2.......

I prefer a hook but both systems work as you have so ably demonstrated. I would be fascinated to hear what you thought if you tried the hook?

best wishes,
David

Hello David

One reason why I haven't tried the blade with a burr yet is due to the lack of a burnisher !

Any alternatives? I think the only thing I have knocking around is a 6" nail..... :lol:

Cheers

Karl

Shaft of a router bit will do, or any hard rounded steel (I use a dowel pin)

Thanks Jake - that'll do till I place my next order at APTC.

David - i'll have a play tomorrow and post my results/thoughts.

Cheers

Karl

Yesterday I completed a handle for my new burnisher, the one that uses the carbide rod above. The rod is just 5mm in diameter (compared to the Crown at 9mm).

Burnishers-carbideandCrown.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

So, after a little bit of tinkering around this morning, I sharpened the LN blade at 45 degrees and raised a slight burr. Below is the resulting shaving:

e79527d8.jpg

As you can see, this configuration gives a true shaving, as opposed to the "shavings" shown in my other posting (where the blade had no burr). Coincidentally - the original pictures show the results of a 45 degree sharpened blade. David - I note you refer to sharpening the blade at 60 degrees - is there likely to be any significant difference ???

I found the blade with a burr harder to push than the blade which was simply sharpened - greater downward force was required. Does one camber a scraping blade???? You can see from the shaving above that the blade was taking almost full width shavings. Perhaps this lack of camber on my blade contributes to the problem.

Cheers

Karl

Karl

I think that I stated that my LN blade is ground at 30 degrees. Actually this is a throwback to when I was using it without a hook - I think that this gets it sharper than 45 degrees. It probably does not matter with a hook. On the other hand I do camber the blade the same way I camber a smoother blade, and doing this with a 30 degree primary bevel will be easier than on a 45 degree primary bevel.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Ian

A few months back Tony Zaffuto offered the Old Tools List used carbide rods, ones that no longer met the specifications for his manufacturing business. I got a couple.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mirboo":s2o69dwp said:
Derek,

Where did you get the carbide rod for your burnisher?

Hi Ian -

You should be able to use any solid carbide bit to make a burnisher - take a look for dremel-type bits, new, or at what you call boot sales over there.... :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

Derek: beautiful job on the burnisher handle!

Rob Lee: practically any carbide will do, however, I believe the results Derek is achieving is more a function of the fine polishing on the rods I sent out with diameter being bit of a lesser influence. After reading Derek's post, I had to go to my plant for a bit and decided to retrieve a larger diameter piece of carbide. This one was about 5/8" and worked as well as the piece I have that is about 1/4"!

Comparing the carbide to, say, the Crown burnisher (I also have a Crown tool), the thing that jumps out is how much more polished the carbide is. Additionally, carbide does have a bit of natural lubricity (OK, it just feels more slippery).

My stock of carbide pins is at an all time low at the present: I sent out roughly 60+ to Galoots on the Oldtool list, plus, my toolmakers still re-use certain pieces. I do expect in the coming months to be able to scrounge up a few pieces to send out, so if anyone wants on my waiting list, send me an email and when I have some available, I'll ge them out!

Tony Z.

Karl,

I like a smalll camber.

I grind all my scraper plane blades down at about 35 degrees and might try 30 next! but hone and sharpen the edge at 45 degrees.

The 60 degree no hook recipe was a L-N/Mario recommendation and I have never liked it at all. The logic was that many beginners make a mess of hook turning so it was thought safer to go for a simple sharp edge at 60.

Polish and hardness are the two essential features of a burnisher, Tony's rods sound absolutely ideal. APTC used to sell some nice aluminium handled carbide rods from France.

Diameter of rod. smaller diameters deliver greater pressure than large diameter for the same force applied.

David

Latest posts

Back