These air masks any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks up to the task to me, and has ( if i read correctly ) the impact resistant visor same as the trend,

However you do need to feed it an air supply from an external source.....................

edit - this version - Industrial System DMAK-0024 includes: polycarbonate visor Approved to EN166 1B39,

Please bear in mind that is a soft visor, so provides no facial protection other than breathing.

It will not protect your face from flying lumps of wood.

kasandrich":zo5uv8eb said:
Please bear in mind that is a soft visor, so provides no facial protection other than breathing.

The industrial version is not soft

Incidentally, I have an old Record mask that I aquired as an extra for about £20 with my lathe, the batteries seemed okay, until I left it off charge for a couple of weeks, then the Ni-cads died a death.

I opened it up and found it used 3 sub-c tagged cells, ordered some on ebay for £12 which were approx twice the capacity of the originals, fitted them and hey presto my mask has a new lease of life :D

kasandrich":21nqw0ee said:

As Loz says the polycarbonate visor is suitable. EN166 1B39 is what you look for. This covers medium impact and molten metal (ie for the grinder)

Mark

I've been using my one of these lately, albeit with the headtop shown in the second photo (£40 Ebay bargain). All round the most comfortable solution having tried the Trend Airshield, and the Airace:
jetstream_slimline_main.jpg

jetstream_blackhood_main(0).jpg

Assuming you are happy with the level of protection afforded by this visor the key factor is whether you have an adequate supply of breathing quality air.

I am not sure my compressor would provide enough with only a 50ltr tank + it is in the workshop so the constant re-charging would do my head in.

Also, given the state of the condensate I drained the other day (note to self, must do that more often then once per year!), I don't much fancy breathing the output even if it has been through a belt mounted filter!! :sick:

My 2cents anyway.

S

Anyone have anything to add about the JSP Powercaps? Have been researching both the Trend and JSP and the reviews are coming down on the side of the JSP?

I have the powercap and find it confortable. I have not tried the trend for any length of time but it looks and felt a bit top heavy to me. Others here have them and like them though.

The only 'fault' of the powercap is that the soft bit that provides a seal under your chin can get stuck to the 'hooks' on my velcro fastening of the collar on my turning smock.

Good point of above is that it reminds me to do it up stopping shavings going down my shirt!

Overall, a good product - 9/10.

S

Yes I got the Bradwest version of the JSP Powercap for xmas (same but cheaper AFAIK). I like it very much, it's not as top heavy as the Trend AirShield. At first I thought the noise would annoy me, but it doesn't. I just turn the radio up! ;) One small problem with these things, as reported previously on here, is that static makes fine dust stick to the visor, so you have to keep wiping it. I'm not sure if there is a solution to that. I think a natural hair brush might help. It would be sensible to buy some tear strips so th visor does not become heavily scratched. I do worry about the battery. The rechargeable option is a Ni-Cad battery and I'm never sure how to prevent them from dying. Which is why I also bought the C-Cell battery pack. I use the C-Cell when the Ni-Cad runs out and is charging. A lot of these issues are true of all visors or respirators, like if you have a bit of a runny nose. I can't tell you how many times I have wiped the front of the visor, aiming for my nose or blew some sawdust off something only to steam up the visor! :oops: :roll: :wink:

Generally I think they are very good and would highly recommend them. For the price, they are an excellent solution to dust control. I use it pretty much every minute in the workshop. Whether I'm turning, woodworking or just clearing up. It might be argued that if you do this, and have good dust extraction, an ambient air filter is not absolutely necessary.

Question for other JSP\Bradwest owners. How often do you change the filters? and can you get ones for fumes?

wizer":32kmpwq7 said:
Question for other JSP\Bradwest owners. How often do you change the filters? and can you get ones for fumes?

Tom,

Re the filter change, mine came with a test device that you place over the outlet with a good battery and it shows the flow achieved. I use this to ensure the filters are not too clogged (not had to change them yet - 9 months light use).

Re fumes, the filters look pretty standard to me so I expect you could get ones for fumes (not sure if these are ok for dust use as well?).

BRgds
Simon

there were big problems with the wiring on the powercap light last year - peter helmsley got to the point where he could barely deal with jsp ithout loosing his rag, on account of their lack of responsiveness to the problem

that may have all been sorted now tho

My Dad ordered my Bradwest cap in early December and it wasn't delivered til mid Jan. Bradwest told him they were waiting for a whole new shipment of them. So my guess would be that they have redesigned or re=specced them.

wizer":2ettegva said:

Do you know Tom I haven`t even given the filters a thought until you mentioned it now :whistle: I use the Aircap all the time and don`t realise I`ve got it on . I wonder if the filters are generally available ?. There is a protective work clothing place near me I`ll pop in. Also wonder if the existing filters can be hoovered out??

Regards
Steve

Hi guys,

I've got a Powercap and it gets some pretty heavy use. I find an air line the answer to both the static issue and the long life of the filters. Take the filters off give them a tap and a blow out and they're as good as new.

The problem with wiping the visor is that itmakes it even more static so I find a blast of the air gun and problem sorted!!

Cheers

Richard

wizer":24merfc0 said:
The rechargeable option is a Ni-Cad battery and I'm never sure how to prevent them from dying. Which is why I also bought the C-Cell battery pack. I use the C-Cell when the Ni-Cad runs out and is charging.

It looks like the Aircap 4 has designed out the Ni-Cad/C cell issue as it has an integrated Lithium ion battery and charger. Unfortunately however it's not impact rated, so no good for use ona lathe, surely there must be one in the pipeline though.

Cheers

Aled

There were problems with the Powercap - electrical connections breaking - but seems to be sorted out now (mine seems OK now!). Very nice bit of kit to use. Filters on mine have been fine after over a year - I run the camvac hose over each one when they look clogged after heavy use and it seems to keep them clear when I've used the tester ...

I have a Powercap and the I find the biggest problem is the power cable getting caught on things as I move about (my workshop is quite small and it's sometimes a bit of a squeeze getting past things). The solution to this was to run the power cable down inside my shirt.
I did have a problem with a bad wire connection but I put it down to the cable getting caught. It was out of warranty but when I contacted JSP they sent me out a replacement for free that I soldered up myself without any problems.
Now I'm having problems with the connector on one of my battery packs. I've already had to repair one and they're a real pain to get into! In the end I carefully sawed it in half and it's now held together with gaffer tape.

Like others, I regularly tap out dust from the filters and then vacuum and blow through to remove more. Like this filters last for months.

I believe that the Powercap doesn't filter to quite the same level as the Trend - Chas has posted his findings and you should be able to find a link somewhere.

Duncan

Back